PDA

View Full Version : Subhood Group Building

MAB-2000
13th May 2012, 10:02 AM
Hello,

I know about the issues caused by shared populated neighborhoods, and I do respect MTS' policy not to approve populated neighborhoods.

I want some help, though, in order to comply with this policy. Triciamanly and me are planning to create a Vacation Destination together. This means, half of the lots will be made by triciamanly and the rest by me.

In How to Create a Custom Subhood Template tutorial, Mootilda explains how to make an empty neighborhood using AnyGame. I've already made the empty normal neighborhood and placed every lot that we will build on. The problem here is how we are going to continue with the actual building. Zipping the neighborhood folder and sending it to triciamanly is safe?

My plan is:

1) I send the neighborhood to her (not a subhood, a normal neighborhood just empty)
2) We start building, everyone on his own
3) Triciamanly,sends me back the built neighborhood (the neighborhood is still empty, there are just built lots)
4) I combine them together into a subhood, sending each built lot into the bin (of an empty AnyGame) and then I place it to it's proper position

Will the outcome be an empty neighborhood?

Mootilda
13th May 2012, 7:32 PM
I didn't know that MTS had a policy against populated neighborhoods. Populated neighborhoods are much much much safer than populated lots.

Yes, zipping the entire neighborhood folder and sharing it is completely safe. Your plan should work just fine.

If the lots are difficult to place, you could always copy the Lot Descriptions, ensure that they have unique lot numbers, and copy and rename the associated lots. This would ensure that the lots will always place in the correct location, regardless of water, beaches, hills, etc.

MAB-2000
14th May 2012, 4:02 PM
Populated neighborhoods are much much much safer than populated lots.

OK, I think I'm confused. I know that It's unsafe to have Sims in lots, but it's safe to have created them in CAS. Here comes the big question: (Mootilda's post #6, here (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=455397) ) Will MTS allow us to upload such a neighborhood?

If the lots are difficult to place, you could always copy the Lot Descriptions, ensure that they have unique lot numbers, and copy and rename the associated lots. This would ensure that the lots will always place in the correct location, regardless of water, beaches, hills, etc.

Here I need some extra information on how to do it, because I didn't took into consideration some enlarged lots in sensitive places on the map.

Mootilda
14th May 2012, 4:31 PM
Backup everything. Run SimPE. You'll need one of the versions of SimPE which allows you to modify the instance number in the Lot Description record. I believe that all versions except 0.72... are acceptable. Specifically, I believe that 0.73... is safe. There's also a copy of 0.72 labeled Mootilda which should work (that's the one that I use); the Mansion and Garden patch will work on the Mootilda version.

Open the incoming neighborhood. Find the Lot Description for the lot that you want to add. Extract the Lot Description. Find the Text List (STR#) for the lot and extract it. The Text List for the lot will have an instance number of 0x00008000 + the instance number of the lot. For example, if the lot instance is 3, then the Text List will have an instance of 0x00008003.

Open the final neighborhood. Add the Lot Description and Text List that you extracted above. Ensure that the instance number of the Lot Description is unique in your neighborhood.

If the instance number is already in use, select the Text List for the newly added lot. Go to the Resource view and change the instance number to 0x0008000 + a unique value; commit and save. Select the Lot Description for the newly added lot. Go to the Resource view and change the instance number to the same unique value; commit and save. Go to the Plugin View and change the instance number to the same unique value; commit, save and exit.

Copy the lot package from the incoming neighborhood to the final neighborhood. If you had to assign a new lot number, change the lot number of the lot package to match. Be careful, because the instance numbers in SimPE are usually specified in Hex, but the lot package number is in Decimal.
Will MTS allow us to upload such a neighborhood?You might have better luck asking in the Site Questions forum.

MAB-2000
14th May 2012, 8:27 PM
OK, lets finish first with the building process and if I run into trouble, I know you'll be glad to help. ;)

You might have better luck asking in the Site Questions forum.

Yup. Correct!

Mootilda
14th May 2012, 9:38 PM
You should be aware that I am going to be unavailable on-and-off for the next few months. However, if I'm available, I'm very happy to answer any questions.

MAB-2000
15th May 2012, 2:58 PM
Oh, that's too pity for us. But you deserve a break since you have always been helpful in the forums.

I think I'll be able to follow your instructions with no problem.