PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial Game Modification Error - No mods or custom content installed; have reinstalled; error still comes up and game crashes.

AmandaFields
20th May 2012, 3:27 AM
I'm only trying to play the base game. Just the base game. That's it. I installed it once, installed all the updates. Every time I tried to play it I got this "Unofficial Game Modification" error. I can tell it to continue; but then the game crashes after the intro sequence. I own the game and I paid for it. I have installed The Sims 3 a few times before on the computer I'm using now and two other ones. My grandfather uninstalled it from this computer when I got my own and my own got destroyed; basically, so I'm using his again. I have never gotten this error until now. I have no custom content and no mods. I uninstalled the game and then reinstalled it all over again. Now I'm still getting the same error and it's still crashing at the same point.

Belzader
20th May 2012, 11:08 AM
You might try this Unistall (http://linna.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Uninstall) and read the part about manual uninstall, there can be left over folders/files from the older installation that mess things up.

AmandaFields
20th May 2012, 6:04 PM
You might try this Unistall (http://linna.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Uninstall) and read the part about manual uninstall, there can be left over folders/files from the older installation that mess things up.

Thanks. I got the game working now. Turns out there were a bunch of mods and a lot of custom content left over from when my grandfather uninstalled the game. I feel stupid now >.<

porkypine
20th May 2012, 6:52 PM
Don't feel stupid. It's all a learning experience. :) Next time you'll know what to look for with any piece of software that's giving you problems. Lots of stuff remains cached. It's a good idea to reboot after removing software.

Be careful if people tell you to clean your registry. Cleaning the registry is a last course option but I only recommend that for people who know what they are doing because you might accidently delete important files and mess up your whole computer. So using products like CCleaner would help, but only if you know that you are not deleting something your computer or other programs need.