PDA

View Full Version : Have YOU found the magical gnome?...

tinydancer80
5th Jun 2009, 10:52 PM
Those of you who have found the magical gnome, please share with us WHERE you found him, and under WHAT CIRCUMSTANCES (nighttime, while fishing, etc.). I, myself, haven't found him yet, but I certainly would like to, so this would be a big help. Thanks!

Ingeborgsk
5th Jun 2009, 10:55 PM
The magical gnome? o__O What does he do?

Caupi
5th Jun 2009, 11:09 PM
I've gotten him from fishing and from mailing metals in to have smelted ("that plutonium ingot was actually a magical gnome!" - how does that happen? hehe).

$RebelG
5th Jun 2009, 11:10 PM
What is this magical gnome? Anything good?

Caupi
5th Jun 2009, 11:12 PM
It's like a the garden gnome you can buy from the catalogue except that he moves around on his own in a very creepy fashion. Mine always seem to like lying in front of the tv if my sims leave it on at night.

$RebelG
5th Jun 2009, 11:14 PM
Haha wow. I think that would just scare me a little too much for my own liking.

xoxSugah
5th Jun 2009, 11:14 PM
I have :D *prods av*
I got him from fishing one time and from the mausoleum on another sim. It's easily my favorite item xD

angel4rab
5th Jun 2009, 11:18 PM
I got him when i went and explores the graveyard but hes not moved for me yet, hes sitting out front, maybe cause ive always got the camera on him.

ktbcca
5th Jun 2009, 11:19 PM
Oh wow, this whole time I thought the gnomes that moved around WERE the gnomes you bought from buy mode! I've been moving mine around, had my sims kick them so many times I can't count, etc. and they've never moved. I guess this explains why. :lol:

tinydancer80
5th Jun 2009, 11:20 PM
I've gotten him from fishing and from mailing metals in to have smelted ("that plutonium ingot was actually a magical gnome!" - how does that happen? hehe).

how do you mail metals in to have them smelted? and where, exactly, were you fishing, do you remember? :)

psivampyr
5th Jun 2009, 11:30 PM
I have 2 magical gnomes. I read the forums and realized they were "special". I have had them in the yard for a sim week and they've sort have stayed around my grape vines. They like the "sleeping" pose and the laying on the stomach pose the most. It's super hilarious to find them in different poses and places.
I got mine from fishing in a lake up north and one came from the graveyard.

Elyssa
5th Jun 2009, 11:32 PM
mine was laying face down in front of the fridge, sunbathing out by my apple trees, and yes, laying there watching the tv. Every time it moves I literally have that "Duh Duh DUUUHHHHHHHH" music in my head and i have to stare at it for a few minutes. Creepy.

Caupi
5th Jun 2009, 11:35 PM
how do you mail metals in to have them smelted? and where, exactly, were you fishing, do you remember? :)

I've fished him up about 4 times from different places, so I don't think it really matters (although each time I was fishing in an area with jumping fish, so that might matter, or not?).

if you pick up a piece of metal, just click on it in your sim's inventory and you'll have the option to get it smelted (which just makes your sim deposit it in the mailbox, and you'll get ingots back in the mail like the next time the mailman comes).

mishibob
5th Jun 2009, 11:35 PM
Just pop them in the mail,I think.
I wonder if it's possible to do more with the metals instead of selling them,hm.

maybe cause ive always got the camera on him.
Ooohh I was wondering about that! I haven't gotten a gnome yet but I would like to see if that was the case but but but then again they do sound creepy. I saw some pictures where the sim kicked the gnome and the sim went to sleep and the gnome appeared on her bed while she slept. D:

CleoTheMuse
5th Jun 2009, 11:36 PM
My Gawd I want a gnome!

I keep trying and failing.

tinydancer80
5th Jun 2009, 11:40 PM
My Gawd I want a gnome!

I keep trying and failing.

Awwww Cleoooo... there there! Just because you can't find the gnome doesn't mean you're a failure... it doesn't! It just means that you've got to keep trying no matter how frustrated you just might get! :lol: Okay, that was my Dr. Cox (Scrubs) moment :P

Srikandi
5th Jun 2009, 11:46 PM
how do you mail metals in to have them smelted?

Click on the ore in your inventory and your sim will take it to the mailbox. Same with cutting gems.

Misty_2004
5th Jun 2009, 11:46 PM
:lol: I think they're absolutely adorable! So far haven't found one yet but now that I know sort of where to look will definitely keep looking.

And since this is sort of on the same subject, am I the only one who never manages to find any rocks or metals anywhere? Seth can find seeds EVERYWHERE, but so far I've not run into anything else.

tinydancer80
5th Jun 2009, 11:51 PM
:lol: I think they're absolutely adorable! So far haven't found one yet but now that I know sort of where to look will definitely keep looking.

And since this is sort of on the same subject, am I the only one who never manages to find any rocks or metals anywhere? Seth can find seeds EVERYWHERE, but so far I've not run into anything else.

Well, I got a copy of the strategy guide collector's edition, which (for best buy at least) comes with a poster of where to find collectibles ;) they're virtually all over the place!

Caupi
6th Jun 2009, 12:04 AM

Look for them anywhere there are big (landscapy) rocks in the game. If you're playing Sunset Valley, check near the abandoned mine and stonehenge particularly. Same thing in Riverview, anywhere there are large rock formations...although I have found some space rocks out in the open fields.

Axe Gaijin
6th Jun 2009, 12:18 AM
Got it from exploring the catacombs.

kattenijin
6th Jun 2009, 12:20 AM
For those of you looking for the gnome while fishing, you need to be over level 7 in fishing skill. You can also find him in the rubbish bins and trash cans if you have the right career/trait.

kry1ain
6th Jun 2009, 12:27 AM
I think I got mine with the criminal career :D

Misty_2004
6th Jun 2009, 12:31 AM
Well, I got a copy of the strategy guide collector's edition, which (for best buy at least) comes with a poster of where to find collectibles
That's all well and good but some of us didn't have the extra $20 to fork out on that strategy guide. ;)

Look for them anywhere there are big (landscapy) rocks in the game. If you're playing Sunset Valley, check near the abandoned mine and stonehenge particularly. Same thing in Riverview, anywhere there are large rock formations...although I have found some space rocks out in the open fields.
Thank you! I'll start looking for rocks, then. This town is on the Riverview map and I find with either map they're so large I get easily lost! :lol: I've figured out how to waste my time instead of my Sims' precious time looking for things, though. :lol:

tinydancer80
6th Jun 2009, 1:21 AM
That's all well and good but some of us didn't have the extra $20 to fork out on that strategy guide. ;)

I'm not saying you HAVE to go out and get it :) In fact, I'll tell ya, just from looking at this map thing, it looks like collectibles are on EVERY lot... all ya have to do is look ;) It's just a matter of WHAT you're gonna find.

stygia2002
6th Jun 2009, 2:10 AM
Do collectibles have game benefits or are they just kinda cool? Pardon the dumb question, still waiting for my game to get here. (Okay Mr. Mailman...any day now!) ;)

Caupi
6th Jun 2009, 2:16 AM
Do collectibles have game benefits or are they just kinda cool? Pardon the dumb question, still waiting for my game to get here. (Okay Mr. Mailman...any day now!) ;)

They do have some benefits. Biggest one starting out is that you can sell anything you pick up for a profit (insects should be turned in at the science center - they give you more than face value if you donate them). Other than that...

Cut gems/smelted ingots displayed in your home increase can give you a "decorated" moodlet. Once you collect enough gems you get better cuts that will allow you to sell your cut gems for a very large profit, and finding enough metals will allow you to get 2 ingots back for every metal you send to get melted (good profit margin).

Seeds are a great way to get new plants for your garden, which can be profitable as well as giving you some food to make recipes with special bonuses (ambrosia). Fish can be sold, mounted as decoration, put in fish bowls, or used to fertilize plants.

Insects mostly are for money I think, although you can put them in display cases in your house and they're quite pretty.

clawsy
6th Jun 2009, 2:25 AM
hi what do the seeds look like? I have found rocks but no seeds, I am trying to find some of the life flower? seeds so i can help my sim get younger.

I have looked at the graveyard but only saw a death flower plant which i think harvested.

Is that what the seeds are?Harvested from plants?

Would someone kind please tell me where i can find some life seeds? Thank you !!!

stygia2002
6th Jun 2009, 3:17 AM
They do have some benefits. Biggest one starting out is that you can sell anything you pick up for a profit (insects should be turned in at the science center - they give you more than face value if you donate them). Other than that...

Cut gems/smelted ingots displayed in your home increase can give you a "decorated" moodlet. Once you collect enough gems you get better cuts that will allow you to sell your cut gems for a very large profit, and finding enough metals will allow you to get 2 ingots back for every metal you send to get melted (good profit margin).

Seeds are a great way to get new plants for your garden, which can be profitable as well as giving you some food to make recipes with special bonuses (ambrosia). Fish can be sold, mounted as decoration, put in fish bowls, or used to fertilize plants.

Insects mostly are for money I think, although you can put them in display cases in your house and they're quite pretty.

So you can make money without a real job? If so, that would be interesting to try out. I read that you can play a ghost character. I don't know how that works (I really want to haunt a house with living sims...assuming we can move sims in together like Sims 2 eventually let us do), however, that might be a way for the ghost sim to make a living. :D

momicajack
6th Jun 2009, 3:50 AM
I got my gnome from sending off my gems to get them cut. I got one back in the mail that said my ruby had been discovered to not be a ruby after all, but a magic gnome. Like said above, just click on the rock/gem in your inventory and it will give you the option to get it cut, then your sim will automatically go to the mailbox and mail it off to get cut or to get your ore smelted. Of course there is a fee for each piece you send off, but you make money back on the better gems and ore. With space rocks, you click on them and it gives you the option to "analyze" them, and sometimes they wind up being "worth more than originally thought".

If you fulfill your sim's wishes as much as you can and build up your lifetime reward points, you can eventually get enough to purchase the "collectors" reward which allows you to see all the spots on your map (in map view) where anything you want to collect is located. You have to choose what you're collecting at the moment as it only shows one type at a time, but you can zoom out, click on the symbol for what you're collecting, and it will zoom back in and what you're collecting will "shine" so you can find it easier.

As for the seeds, they actually look like little seeds lying around on the ground here and there. You can find them in public areas pretty easily, like in the town square around the picnic area and such, or anywhere out in the world as you travel around. Sometimes when you hover over them they will tell you what type of seed they are and what quality. I try to leave the normal quality ones alone (and of course the "bad" quality ones I don't pick up) and only go or the good or better ones. Sometimes they will show that they are "rare" and "unidentified", which I assume those are the ones that eventually become money trees or flower of life (or w/e that one is called).

Fishing and collecting seeds goes pretty well hand in hand, as you can use fish to fertilize your plants, and some plants are used to fish up special fish.

Oh, and for anyone wanting to catch the death fish, so far I have only found him in the graveyard area at night time - not during the day. And the robot fish, usually can be found behind the science lab.

tinydancer80
6th Jun 2009, 3:25 PM
Oh, and for anyone wanting to catch the death fish, so far I have only found him in the graveyard area at night time - not during the day. And the robot fish, usually can be found behind the science lab.

Yes, in the strategy guide, I believe, it states that the death fish can only be caught in the graveyard, at night (between the hours of 12 am and 5 am) and it is best to use their favorite bait, the angelfish ;) As far as what fishing skill level, exactly, you have to be at, I don't remember... apparently pretty high though. :)

liverbird
5th Jul 2009, 9:40 PM
Where can I find the mausoleum is it in riverview or sunset, i'm playing sunset at moment...

I have :D *prods av*
I got him from fishing one time and from the mausoleum on another sim. It's easily my favorite item xD

maven2379
5th Jul 2009, 9:52 PM
Where can I find the mausoleum is it in riverview or sunset, i'm playing sunset at moment...

It is the building in the graveyard.

LadyAya
5th Jul 2009, 9:54 PM
To this day (exactly one month later!) the magical gnome has eluded me...

aeval99
5th Jul 2009, 9:55 PM
I've gotten all of mine from fishing. They turn up in the weirdest places around your lot. This one just about made me jump out of my skin when the kid opened the oven. Reminded me of Pescado for some reason.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/aeval99/Screenshot-30.jpg[

LadyAya
5th Jul 2009, 9:57 PM
Holy crap! hahahahaha

stygia2002
5th Jul 2009, 10:58 PM
I've gotten all of mine from fishing. They turn up in the weirdest places around your lot. This one just about made me jump out of my skin when the kid opened the oven. Reminded me of Pescado for some reason.
][

:rofl: Ahem..sorry...that just struck me funny. I'm all better now. :Pint:

Carladam
6th Jul 2009, 12:28 AM
is there a lot in sunset that has one that I can go steal it from? Its been my sole goal since the 3rd day of playing sims 3 (7th June) to locate the gnome. I play for hours on end - most days well over 8 hours and can not find him in any fishing box I pull up - my sim has level 10 fishing skill, or with collecting and smelting. One of my sims fishes constantly (lots of cakes, candles and rubber ducks) while one of my others is a collector, She goes collecting all day every day. I zip their needs along to full with testing cheats too so I dont have to send them home to shower or go to the toilet. Still no gnome. All of my sims are Klepto's - every now and then i'll send them to rummage through neighbours bins in the hope of finding one. Is there one on a lot somewhere in sunset that I can just go and steal?

ButtKoWitz
6th Jul 2009, 1:20 AM
Got all my magic gnomes from fishing (4 total so far).

I've mod'd the gnome's behavior, although it's quite hard to tell how well it's working. Gnome not only moves around, but has a chance to clean objects (mod ups that chance considerably, but I've yet to see it actually do it). Also mod makes the gnome active for most of the day. Can see the mod if you click the link in my profile (haven't submitted it here)

maven2379
6th Jul 2009, 1:31 AM
Carladam - If your sim is collecting lots of metals, send all of them to get smelted, sometimes it turns out that "it wasn't iron/silver/etc and was actually a magic gnome" I have gotten several gnomes from getting metals smelted.

I don't think there is a lot that has gnomes on it to steal in the default neighborhood.

jarod95
6th Jul 2009, 1:32 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/aeval99/Screenshot-30.jpg[
does the gnome apppear in the oven itself or the gnome walk into the oven itself in the middle of the night?

aeval99
6th Jul 2009, 2:11 AM
does the gnome apppear in the oven itself or the gnome walk into the oven itself in the middle of the night?
It was a gnome that I had previously caught fishing. I guess it decided to sleep in the oven for the night. Not the most brilliant plan really. ;)

Sookielee
6th Jul 2009, 2:58 AM
Got my magic gnome from fishing at the Science Lad, her fihing level at the time was Level 6, I remember because she had just gotten to where she could catch Black Goldfish.

EDIT: mine does not move anymore. The funniest place I found him, when he did, was laying on his stomach in front of the stereo. The next day he was laying on his back, can you say death pose, in front of the same stereo.

oh__pls
6th Jul 2009, 3:15 AM
I got mine exploring the graveyard.

Antipilor
6th Jul 2009, 3:31 AM
I have MANY from smelting metals and getting gems cut. I have probably over 30 in my inventory... a little annoying actually.

mikrokitty
6th Jul 2009, 3:32 AM
I have fished up the gnomes mostly from fishing holes I placed on some of my residential lots. Haven't tried to sell them, so not sure if they're worth anything.

Mine sometimes seem 'dormant', and sometimes they move around a lot. It cracks me up how they always appear in new positions. I like to place them in 'impossible' locations... they can definitely get out of closed attics and foundations :P

One incident that kept me busy for quite some time... hehe. I suddenly began having bugs in my game, my sims wouldn't go where I told them. I tried the reset sim code, I tried making different sims go to different rooms in the home. The queued action would just disappear. Then I began removing custom content... fortunately I don't have much. One piece does cause random loading crashes, so this process did take awhile.

The bug, as it turns out, was Mr. Gnome lying in the doorway of the foyer that leads to the rest of the household :lol: I never even thought to do an overhead view to look for obstructions... I totally kicked myself when I finally realized what the cause was :jest:

Carladam
6th Jul 2009, 3:44 AM
yeah thanks maven, I've had all my rocks smelted/cut/and analysed. explored catacombes every night. I'm pretty sure now that my game wont spawn magic gnomes ever. I was hoping I could steal one off the neighbours :( oh well. Hey have they found a way to unlock things like this yet? maybe I could just DL one? (yeah, its a long shot :) ) ha ha!!

maven2379
6th Jul 2009, 4:18 AM
yeah thanks maven, I've had all my rocks smelted/cut/and analysed. explored catacombes every night. I'm pretty sure now that my game wont spawn magic gnomes ever. I was hoping I could steal one off the neighbours :( oh well. Hey have they found a way to unlock things like this yet? maybe I could just DL one? (yeah, its a long shot :) ) ha ha!!

I have some magic gnomes in my community garden that I uploaded here.

I have taken my klepto there but he hasn't stolen any of them yet, he just takes lights out the bathrooms, and chairs and stuff. LOL

Carladam
6th Jul 2009, 4:25 AM
*SQUEAL!!* I love you maven!! *Runs away to DL*

BTW what is it with klepto's and lights! UGH!

MemoryOfAxel
6th Jul 2009, 3:17 PM
Just raise your lifetime happiness to get the Item Locater, although you'll probably have to have a long lifespan for it.

I'm dying to find my gnome, I've made a little miniature garden for him haha, he just hasn't came yet.