If you do not have Cats and Dogs, although it is okay to keep V3, it is still recommended that you download the updated version. The 4 versions should be the same for those who do not have the new pack.
The standard version will make the game create less townies, and it will prevent generating of useless walk-by townies. It will also make the vet clinic use existing pet owners in town before generating new ones. Because it seems like pets that are cured cannot be sick again right away, you need a large number of households with pets if you want to stop new ones being generated. (If you have no interest in opening a vet clinic yourself, the “no random pet owner” version will help you.)
The “no stray” version will prevent stray cats and dogs from being generated, but they would not prevent existing strays from showing up. If you want to delete strays, it seems like the only way is to use Unhide Hidden Household function in MCCC, found in the mailbox. I’m not sure if you can use cheats to do the same thing.
The “no random pet owner” version will prevent owner-pet combination from being generated from visiting vet clinics. *WARNING: Please DON’T choose this version if you want to open a vet clinic yourself! Your clinic might go out of business if you do not have enough pets in your town. If you are only interested in taking your pets to the vet from time to time, and you don’t want random pet owners and their pets, this version is for you. *
The “no stray and random pet owner” version is just the combination of the two above.
The update also fixed some problems from the previous version:
- Fixed mailman, hermit, forest ranger, bears, restaurant critics not generating problem
- You can take your pets to granite fall now
- The game would use existing sims for police station civilians
Also, here’s the updated list of in-game cheats to make your own townies:
Get Together: DJ (need DJ Skill): traits.equip_trait isDJ, careers.add_career DJ
[For DJs, there are two types of DJs needed for the nightclubs. DJ Headliners need to have level 10 DJ skill, and Professional DJ need to have level 7-9 DJ skill. It is recommended to prepare at least 2 sims for each category.]
City Living: Weirdo: traits.equip_trait isWeirdo (You need at least 5 of them, and probably more) Living statue: traits.equip_trait isStatueBusker (You need at least 2, YA or teen) City repair: traits.equip_trait isCityRepair Romance Guru: traits.equip_trait isLoveGuru (In the vanilla game, the romance guru have to be an elder, but with this mod, you can have young adults and adults as well) Landlord (need handiness skill): traits.equip_trait isRepair traits.equip_trait trait_Hidden_Landlord careers.add_career career_Adult_NPC_Landlord
Cats and Dogs: Adoption Officer: traits.equip_trait isAdoptionOfficer, careers.add_career AdoptionOfficer
Spa Day: Massage Therapist (Service NPC that you can call through phone, not the ones in spa venues, needs at least level 9 wellness skill): traits.equip_trait isMassageTherapist, careers.add_career MassageTherapist_Service
Dine Out: Restaurant Critic: traits.equip_trait isRestaurantCritic, careers.add_career RestaurantCritic
This is still not a full list, and some roles might require additional skills not mentioned above. If there is no cheats, it means that you only need to put in unplayed and unemployed sims in town, and they will be automatically assigned to fill these roles.
Special thanks to @graycurse for purchasing the game code for me. Your support meant the world to me
08/30/2017: Just thought I would come by and answer some FAQs in the descriptions, some are already answered in the comments but to make it easier, I think I should list them here.
1. About MCCC: This mod is compatible with MCCC but doesn't require it to work. If you use MCCC, the correct settings are needed (max homeless = 0, culling disabled). Using the default settings of MCCC will generate you more townies. Using MCCC alone couldn't achieve what this mod achieves.
2. NPC jobs for played sims is still work in progress. It will probably involve script modding and might conflict with some other mods. I am not sure when/if it will be released. Now after using cheats to assign roles, you should mark those sims unplayed to make sure they show up for the job.
3. After using this mod, probably there is still going to be a random alien generated whenever you go to Willow Creek or Oasis Springs (if you don't have any existing aliens). I made a mod to stop it but it is based on someone else's mod. Although the creator doesn't have TOU against it and MTS moderator says it is okay to upload, I still think it is inappropriate. The next time it needs update, I will do it from scratch and share it on MTS.
4. Now there is a problem with mailman generating and it will be fixed the next time this mod needs an update (probably after Cats and Dogs' release). You can create a mailman by using the cheats careers.add_career mailman and traits.equip_trait isMailman. You can also download my mailman on the gallery by searching EA ID AKLSimmer or tag #AKLSimmer.
5. Some of the roles needs some certain skills for your sims to be qualified. If the cheat doesn't work, probably you should give the sims some skills that you think would help. I might create a list in the future on which skills are needed for which role.
07/23/2017: I have uploaded some of my service sims to the gallery! Just search Origin id: AKLSimmer or tag #AKLSimmer, you will find them. They have the traits and skills needed to fill the role, so you don't need to bother using cheats yourself. If you want to use them, just place them in your world and they will just show up. Do not play as them if you want them to fulfill these roles. If you play as them, they will lose their NPC traits, but you are free to play them if you like. You can edit their appearance or name or traits to your liking, but please do not reupload them.
07/03/2017: Fixed landlords, gardeners, and criminals not generating problems.
06/16/2017: Fixed the problem of service sims not showing up. Now if you do not have any qualified DJ/Maid/Nanny/Pizza Delivery/Repairman, the game would spawn one for you. You can make your own to prevent random ones from being generated.
This mod minimizes the number of random townies generated and forces the game to use existing sims before it generates any new sims. With this mod, the game will only generate sims when it needs a role that no existing sims qualifies.
If you want to stop random townies generation, you can use the following cheats to make your own sims eligible for service roles:
*Some service roles do not only require a trait and a career, they also require some certain skills to qualify your sim.
This list does not cover all service roles, but it does cover the most common ones.
Some other service roles can be automatically assigned to unplayed and unemployed sims, for example, bartenders, restaurant waiters/chefs/hosts, massage therapists and reflexologists, etc. There are a few other roles that are less common, and I didn’t come across them often, so you shouldn’t worry about them much.
You should temporarily play as them to give them the traits, the careers, and the skills needed for their roles, and then mark them as unplayed. When you type in a cheat to equip a hidden trait, the game shows no response, but it works. However, when you add a service career to your sim, it should show up in the careers panel.
If you see any random sims generated, you can do makeovers of them, change their traits if you want. They will keep their service roles unless you play them. Townies generation would stop if you do this for a while.
I have play tested in both my main save file (about 300 sims) and a new save file (about 80 sims, only the premades and one played household). In my main save file, no random sim has been generated (besides Jasmine Holiday) for more than a sim week. In the new save file, there are only a few sims that have been generated, all of which are service sims or City Living weirdos.
It will conflict with any mod that modify sim filter XMLs.