Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 1:43 AM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 20th Jul 2019 at 5:06 PM. Reason: don't be rude
Plus a Navidia Geforce 210 graphics card (used since 2011 in my old computer. No idea why manufacturers all use that damn chip instead of an actual graphics card.)

Gahhh! Nothing shows up on the trying to use a pic to attach thing and you can't copypaste from diaxdiag. No patch unless having them downloaded and that grumpyloader thing does it automatically.

Win 10 64 bit
AMD Ryzen 2400 G
12 GB RAM
Advertisement
Undead Molten Llama
#27 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 4:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Aileena
@terula8 As I said above, I've tried everything (Yes, 4gig patch too. And other possible solutions). When it comes to the hardware, my new computer is really good. I've got RTX2080ti and 32GB of RAM. This is not really the issue.

(Bolded emphasis mine) I'm gonna say that's your problem right there. I haven't seen anyone who's had that card and posted for help manage to get TS2 running successfully on it, though it'll run 3. (Of course, now someone will come along and say that they're playing with that card just fine! If so, maybe they can help you!) My feeling is that it's just way too new and completely beyond TS2's ability to comprehend. Newer just isn't really better for such an old game, unfortunately.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 8:12 AM
There are quire a number of players - and creators - using Windows 10, so I am not quite sure that the exceptions are those who can play - perhaps the exceptions are those who can't.
Test Subject
#29 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 3:26 PM Last edited by iamnobody1111 : 18th Jul 2019 at 3:28 PM. Reason: forgot how to write a sentence
I personally would love getting a re-release of Sims 2, as the game is very special to me. The things I'd expect would be some fixes (like object NPCs not destroying the game, deleting sims properly so they don't corrupt the neighborhood they're in, and so on). But I highly doubt we'd get anything like that, as someone pointed out, EA wants to go forward with their games, rather than look back. However, compared to the later releases, with the applied patches and fixes, I find Sims 2 to be far more balanced. I had a ton of problems with Sims 3, especially when I got Late Night. The roads in Bridgeport weren't linked properly so townies would just get stuck on their routes and die, and at the time of playing, I had no idea what was going on. Same goes for Sims 4. Despite having a high-end gaming PC, my computer wants to die whenever I run Sims 4, not to mention there's a ton of bugs in the game (vampires turned into humans still retain their weaknesses, sims randomly getting bugged and just stand in place for a period of time).
Scholar
#30 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 4:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MattGo74
Plus a Navidia Geforce 210 graphics card (used since 2011 in my old computer. No idea why manufacturers all use that damn chip instead of an actual graphics card.)

because it's low TDP and energy usage? And it's also a lot cheaper in integrated board design.

Quote:
Win 10 64 bit
AMD Ryzen 2400 G
12 GB RAM

that AMD chip has Vega 11 onboard (which is a lot better than its intel counterpart), energy/noise produced/performance wise it probably would be better just use that and completely disable NVidia.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Theorist
#31 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 4:39 PM
Oh for goodness sake Aileena, think of it this way: your Sims 2 game is a baby slime and it just came up against a level 100 warrior. The poor thing probably just faints dead away at the thought of even attempting to run.

What I have on my laptop here is just that on-board chip Intel uses and I couldn't believe how nice TS2 looks with just that. It's so much better than the card I had in my old computer it's mind-boggling.

I didn't buy this laptop for games, I bought it for messing around with music, doing my various word/picture projects, etc. during a period of time when I didn't have access to my desktop. I only put some of my really old stuff on it, then installed Minecraft and when I got tired of it thought about installing TS2. I could never afford a computer back then that would run these old games like this one can.
Undead Molten Llama
#32 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 6:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
There are quire a number of players - and creators - using Windows 10, so I am not quite sure that the exceptions are those who can play - perhaps the exceptions are those who can't.

Sure, this is true right now. I'm not trying to disparage Win10 or the TS2 players who use it successfully. But the fact of the matter is that, very soon (in computer terms, anyway; I'm not talking about next week or anything ) 32-bit programs are not going to be compatible with the latest OS, or at least the latest Windows OS, and not everyone has enough Nerd to be able to use alternative OSs like Linux. TS2 (and TS3) are 32-bit programs, and EA is not going to "update" either of them because in this case "updating" would be the same as making a new game...with all new bugs and who wants that, anyway, even if EA went bonkers and decided to do it? As I said, PC gaming is on its way out (in favor of mobile and its endless and continuous stream of microtransactions), and that's where EA's going to put their focus. They'd be stupid not to, from a business point of view.

All I'm saying is, if you want to make certain that you can play TS2 years into the future, you'd be smart to have a dedicated machine for it that has compatible hardware, OS, drivers, etc., and that it'd be better to start putting one together now, while it is still easy (and relatively inexpensive) to find compatible components and drivers. This isn't a new concept. This is something that gamers have always done. I mean, my husband is more of a console gamer -- has working consoles all the way back to an Atari 2600; we have a blast playing Space Invaders on it -- but even he has a Win98 machine that he keeps to play a couple games from that era on, from when he was a teen.

The basic message is that EA isn't going to keep TS2 alive. It's dead and buried, as far as they're concerned. At best, they'll make the UC available again if they think it'll entice enough people to do whatever they're promoting. (Initially, it was a ploy to get more people to put Origin on their machines.) But it won't be an "updated" UC. It would be the same one...which is why they probably won't be offering it again, because of compatibility issues. So if the game is important enough to you that you know you'll still want to play it 3 or 5 or 10 years from now, it's up to you to make sure that you can do so, and buying a new, expensive machine with new components and a bajillion gigabytes of whatever really isn't what you need. That's all.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Instructor
#33 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 7:15 PM
One thing would be if they'd make an older system emulator. They have them for old Dos games, and even Commodore 64 and it's games - though you have to download them (easy to do as they are public domain now.) Problem is I don't see Microsoft even allowing old versions of windows to be public domain.
Undead Molten Llama
#34 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 7:42 PM
One thing would be if they'd make an older system emulator. They have them for old Dos games, and even Commodore 64 and it's games - though you have to download them (easy to do as they are public domain now.) Problem is I don't see Microsoft even allowing old versions of windows to be public domain.

Yeah, I don't see that happening, either. MS has never been very interested in catering to people who want to hang on to the old, and if some third party tried to do it, they'd likely come down on them with Thor's hammer. I mean, just recently, some Windows 7 users got a popup on their machines from MS about them ending support for Win 7 at the end of this year, and part of it was saying, essentially, "So, go buy a machine with Win10 on it now, sucks to be you, but it's great to be us! " So, I tend to think they're going to continue to do exactly what they're doing: Slowly "updating" Windows so that, slowly, it won't run 32-bit programs anymore. They can't do it suddenly, of course, but if they do it gradually with a bunch of tiny baby steps over the next few years, like the old "frog in a slowly-heating pot of water" analogy, it's what's going to happen, I think. So, I'm safeguarding my ability to be able to play TS2. I can't say for sure that I'll be alive in 10 years, given various health conditions, much less if I'll still want to play TS2, but in case I am alive and still want to play it, I want to be prepared, so I did what I needed to do.

Mad Poster
#35 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 7:54 PM
I considered getting an RTX card, but read around on forums and saw people were having more troubles with those than the GTX cards, so I went for the 1070 instead. I do have a fresh Win10, so it probably installed all the updates automatically.

My old laptop has Win7, and I've never had any issues outside of when my Nvidia card decided to kick TS2 off its list of programs meant to automatically run on it (happened a few times). Once I figured out how to fix that, I didn't have any issues until recently (when the laptop started pixellating when using certain heavy programs - TS2 and Photoshop in particular, and acting weird on occasion - but not technically a sims issue). Didn't find out until recently that I didn't even have the 4GB fix, and while I didn't use my full range of CC, it could easily handle around 14 GB of CC. I think all I did for the GR/VC files was to add the Nvidia card (which didn't help on the Nvidia issue).
Theorist
#36 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 7:57 PM
What EA should do is license TS2 to GOG. I don't know how well that would work but it would have its best chance and EA would still make money from it.
Undead Molten Llama
#37 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 8:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Misty_2004
What EA should do is license TS2 to GOG. I don't know how well that would work but it would have its best chance and EA would still make money from it.

They could. They might. I've no doubt that it's been considered. Maybe they can't. Perhaps it's a larger program (12GB or so is not small) than GoG wants to deal with? I don't know, I've never been to GoG and don't know what's there. Isn't Sims 1 there? Or just SimCity? I don't remember what's been said.

Anyway, my totally unsubstantiated feeling is that they won't do that because, ultimately, they'd still be compelled to offer support for it because, since it's their best-selling game ever, probably many more people would get it than they would SimCity or Sims 1 or whatever, and after getting it, that they would want it to keep working into the future. EA is obviously aware of the unexpected longevity that TS2 has had. People bugged them for years for the UC, which was originally only supposed to be offered for a month, back in...2013?...and they only finally put their foot down last October, I think it was. So, they know exactly how popular the game is, but they're also perfectly aware of the looming compatibility issues. Sure, they might make some money off of it in the short term, but it would be a rather small drop in the bucket on their scale of thinking, and on the flip side they'd be saddled with support for a game that is increasingly going to have problems running on new machines with new OSs. In the end, I would imagine the cost has been carefully weighed against the benefit, and the benefit was found lacking. This is how business decisions are made.

So, they've buried TS2. I think they're going to squeeze as much as they can out of TS3 on Origin and then bury it, too. They'll keep TS4 on, since it has a 64-bit version, but if there's a TS5, I would lay odds on it being online/mobile-only, as indeed TS4 was originally intended to be (and it shows). And, besides, it's not like TS2 is hard to find through, uh, alternative means. I can't imagine that that's going to change.

Instructor
#38 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 9:09 PM
Or put it on Steam. Lots of people wouldn't want to deal with EA's malware/spyware/trojan known as Origin anyway.
Undead Molten Llama
#39 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 11:24 PM
Or put it on Steam. Lots of people wouldn't want to deal with EA's malware/spyware/trojan known as Origin anyway.

TS3 is on Steam. But then, EA still sells TS3, too.

I'm pretty sure they just don't want TS2 for sale, anywhere. I'm pretty sure that it's because they no longer wish to be obligated in any way to support it. I mean, back when the whole UC thing happened, in the email that they sent out to people who were eligible to receive it (before they decided to make it available to pretty much everyone ), it was specifically said that they were giving away the collection to registered users because they were no longer going to support disk installs of the game, that only the UC would be supported after such-and-such a date. So, support was the issue then -- and they were originally only going to offer support to registered users, which certainly isn't everyone who owned the game -- and I have a feeling that it still is, because EA actually isn't stupid. The biggest issue pertaining to support in TS2's case is compatibility with newer hardware, drivers, OSs, etc. TS3, as a 32-bit program, is going to have the same issues, eventually, but at least it was a little more updated via that game's patch system, given that it was in production until 2014, whereas TS2 left production in 2008 or 2009.

Mad Poster
#40 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 11:49 PM
Lol fuck no. (Ea's attitude)

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Forum Resident
#41 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 11:50 PM
I have a brand new computer with Win 10 and had no real problem installing all EPs/SPs and playing. Had a backup (a couple months old but fine with starting a new pre made hood.) As I understood Sims4 didn't do as well as they expected. 5 won't either if they don't get why people like 2 better - easier to mod, etc. Also, people not wanting Origin doesn't help.
*emphasis added

BINGO!

Origin and its TOU has ended my affiliation with EA completely... everything from NHL to Sims. which sucks, but... it's just not a price i'm willing to pay. I would've bought TS4 if not for reading their TOU the night it was released. Maybe i'm better off having not! haha. But by using their products, I agree to their terms and my only recourse is not to purchase anything from EA. This now extends to gifts for my nieces and nephews, so... they must be making a KILLING off identity theft, if it's worth their while to lose customers who have spent probably close to a thousand dollars on their products in the past. EA's not losing sleep over me. Now, maybe if a couple hundred thousand people pulled the plug, they'd kill Origin like they did Secu-ROM. But far too many people, on learning what Origin actually does, said, "well, I don't care! I want to play!" What can you do?

-gE
>=)
Theorist
#42 Old 19th Jul 2019 at 12:28 AM
The beauty of GOG is that the publisher hands over an old game and no longer supports it but sits back and rakes in royalties off of it. The GOG team will do the work to make games run on modern hardware. That may or may not be possible with TS2 though.

And yes, GOG has some of the SimCity games as well. There are PC games of every genre and time there, from DOS to current games. It started out as "Good Old Games" with only old things but now a number of devs upload there. Everything there is DRM-free which could be a reason for EA not to go for it.

I much prefer GOG to Steam because with Steam I have to use their console and the GOG interface is optional. I have all the execution files downloaded and backed up for safe keeping.
Instructor
#43 Old 19th Jul 2019 at 12:36 AM
SecuROM is dead everywhere as it no longer works in last few updates for Windows 7 or at all for 8 and 10. Microsoft considers the way it worked a security risk.
Theorist
#44 Old 19th Jul 2019 at 3:35 AM
There are many other DRM optioins than SecuROM. Just one example is having to use a client like Origin to verify and play your games. Another example is needing a disc in the drive. And there are many more. When I say DRM-free on GOG that means you download the executable, install it to your computer and play it. There's no license number, no CDs, no client verifying your "ownership" of the game.
Instructor
#45 Old 19th Jul 2019 at 4:03 AM
For later Sims 2 games there is no option besides no CD/DVD mods. At least for disc.
Instructor
#46 Old 19th Jul 2019 at 4:05 AM
A lot of other games I had to get on Steam - Total War and SC4. It involved buying twice.
Theorist
#47 Old 19th Jul 2019 at 4:20 AM
For later Sims 2 games there is no option besides no CD/DVD mods. At least for disc.

Right, but what would be done is the requirement for said disc is removed from the executable. Almost all the games I've bought off of GOG originally required a CD to run.

And yeah, it kind of stinks when you have to rebuy something but at the same time I don't spend more than it's worth to me, so some of the old stuff I have I didn't pay more than $2.50 to $5.00 for it which to me is well worth it.
Instructor
#48 Old 19th Jul 2019 at 6:11 AM
Never even heard of GOG before.
Field Researcher
#49 Old 19th Jul 2019 at 7:23 AM
As a tech nerd, DO NOT, NOT NOT NOT buy a Windows XP machine just for playing The Sims 2. Windows XP is out of date, unsupported, prone to a million viruses, and probably going to ruin your life if you use it.
Also, again, like @ElaineNuella said, Linux works perfectly with The Sims 2 using Lutris. I'm even able to get stuff like SimPE and HoodChecker to work. But if you're not gonna want to try Linux (which is better than Windows in most aspects anyway), why not try a virtual machine? Install a copy of Windows 7 on a VM, and then play TS2 through that way if it doesn't work through Windows 10. Then again, I've been a Linux hoe since like 2014 so idk how Windows even works anymore xD. All I know is that it's out to get my data and dat shit not good, okay? :b
Mad Poster
#50 Old 19th Jul 2019 at 7:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grinevilly
Origin and its TOU has ended my affiliation with EA completely... everything from NHL to Sims. which sucks, but... it's just not a price i'm willing to pay. I would've bought TS4 if not for reading their TOU the night it was released. Maybe i'm better off having not! haha. But by using their products, I agree to their terms and my only recourse is not to purchase anything from EA. This now extends to gifts for my nieces and nephews, so... they must be making a KILLING off identity theft, if it's worth their while to lose customers who have spent probably close to a thousand dollars on their products in the past. EA's not losing sleep over me. Now, maybe if a couple hundred thousand people pulled the plug, they'd kill Origin like they did Secu-ROM. But far too many people, on learning what Origin actually does, said, "well, I don't care! I want to play!" What can you do?

I must have missed something in the TOU. Well, I admit that I only skim read them and then go meh all the same and click okay. XD Although I did lose my soul that way so maybe I should pay more attention lol.

SecuROM is dead everywhere as it no longer works in last few updates for Windows 7 or at all for 8 and 10. Microsoft considers the way it worked a security risk.

That's funny. It was supposed to give more security.

Never even heard of GOG before.

Good Old Games. https://www.gog.com/ They have just about all my old favourites, except Sims (and Grand Theft Auto).

Quote: Originally posted by redandvidya
All I know is that it's out to get my data and dat shit not good, okay? :b

This sounds like a conspiracy theory. I've never noticed Windows stealing my data.
Page 2 of 8