Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
#101 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 9:52 PM
well, part of the reason for the Popemobile is safety. Lets be honest, the Pope is a very high profile assassination target. Even for non-Catholics like myself, he is easily the most recognizable Christian on the entire planet, and there have been previous assassination attempts on a Pope's life, as he was being driven around places. It makes sense that he rides around in a bulletproof vehicle. I don't have a problem with that. It seems only prudent that the Vatican try to protect the Pope.

I do see the criticism regarding the wealth of the Vatican as completely justified however. Considering the wealth the Vatican has amassed, it seems rather hypocritical for it to then condemn those that are obscenely wealthy. Remove the plank in your own eye, Vatican.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama on ABC's This Week, discussing Obamacare
What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore
umm...Isn't having other people carry your medical burden exactly what national health care is?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#102 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 1:26 AM
As if most people will ever remove the planks in their own eyes. It's practically become human nature to judge and segregate. It's been going on forever, you know?
Lab Assistant
#103 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 2:57 AM
Davious, I wasn't aware that the Popemobile was bulletproof it does make sense, though, there are certainly people who would like to kill him. I thought it was just a fancy car. My bad.
Mad Poster
#104 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 3:09 AM
It does make sense and I never knew about that, anyway. However, my mom's former pastor's new car is definitely inexplicable, lol.
#105 Old 4th Apr 2008 at 6:15 AM
How about, "Thou shalt not do anything that requires logic or free thought"
Mad Poster
#106 Old 5th Apr 2008 at 5:34 AM
LOL, which equates to "thou shall be a lemming."
Lab Assistant
#107 Old 5th Apr 2008 at 7:55 AM
Totally OT but this has been bugging me a while: Frankie, I don't think you really mean lemming so much as you mean sheep. Sheep are the ones who stereotypically follow without question. Lemmings... the whole falling-off-cliffs-in-mass-numbers thing is a myth started by Disney when they filmed a scene for "Great White North" where they literally forced lemmings off a cliff (so much for family-friendly). Where they escalated it from was that lemmings migrate in large herds and they travel close to coastal cliffs. Occasionally, the unlucky one gets pushed off by the throng. It could very well be used as a euphemism for something else, but it doesn't really work for "blind followers" as well as sheep, who will literally do just about anything their shepherd wants them to (except stuff like getting stuck in trees and whatnot).
Sorry if I seem OCD now :P
Mad Poster
#108 Old 6th Apr 2008 at 10:28 PM
No it's fine I appreciate the correction. I must have gotten it mixed up then. Funny how my first choice was sheep but then I didn't use it. I actually first heard about the term "lemming" from that comedian Kathy something who had supposedly criticized Jesus not too long ago in public. Ugh, I can't remember her full name! She is white and has reddish hair, curly I think. Or is her name even Kathy?
Lab Assistant
#109 Old 7th Apr 2008 at 12:01 AM
Probably Kathy Griffin, I guess.
But you said she... criticized Jesus? What did he ever do that was worthy of criticism? It's one thing to be mad at the church, it's another issue entirely to be mad at the man Himself.
Mad Poster
#110 Old 7th Apr 2008 at 12:39 AM
Yes, Kathy Griffin!!! Thank you!

You didn't hear? It was supposedly a big thing on the media about her criticizing Jesus, not sure exactly what was it that she had said. I should look it up but I do know that it was supposedly bad. Now it all makes sense. When I was a teenager and I used to watch TNBC on Saturday mornings (Saved By The Bell The New Class, Hang Time, etc.), they would show those special NBC commercials with celebrities and how it usually is anti-drugs, etc. Well She was on one of them and it was about that we should not be lemmings and what not and so that is how I got the term from. I guess she must be an atheist or something.

EDIT: I found it on YouTube! It was Kathy at the Emmy Awards who won an award and said "Jesus suck it" or something like that in her speech. Okay, so maybe it was not as bad as I thought it was, it was more comical, but I do know that it became huge in the press and I think people made a big deal about it.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re-8MeEBUJ8
Moderator of Extreme Limericks
#111 Old 8th Apr 2008 at 3:59 AM
I have no idea what's going on here anymore...

Let's try to get back to the original topic.

There's always money in the banana stand.
Mad Poster
#112 Old 8th Apr 2008 at 4:59 AM
Sorry, I must have gotten carried away with the whole Kathy Griffin scandal. This topic sure is getting tougher to keep talking about, lol.

Page 5 of 5