Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#26 Old 16th May 2015 at 12:12 PM Last edited by veil : 16th May 2015 at 12:24 PM.
Started my game this morning to find the Mods folder empty except for a Resource.cfg file time-stamped the time I opened the game. Fortunately, I have a save of my Mods folder from less than a week ago. I have NOT done the recent S4 update, because (1) many people complained about it messing with their game, and (2) I don't plan to get Luxury Party pack right away, anyway.

My S4 4 games, houses, characters, and everything else ARE there and I can play. But some of my Sims are bald and some are dressed funny....

Any idea what would cause my entire Mods folder to disappear?

Here at MTS since 2008; avid S2 player/blogger; didn't care for S3; bought and hated SimCity 2013; am choosing to remain upbeat about Sims 4....

My Sims 4 blog: Veil's Utopia House Challenge Blog
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 16th May 2015 at 2:29 PM
Same here. I didn't have much in the mods folder because I worry so much about all the need for updating, but still...!

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Forum Resident
#28 Old 16th May 2015 at 3:13 PM Last edited by veil : 16th May 2015 at 3:33 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
Same here. I didn't have much in the mods folder because I worry so much about all the need for updating, but still...!

Did this happen today for you, @VerdeTerre ? And, have you done the most recent update?

And, that's only my Windows 7 computer problem. On the Windows 8 computer, all Sims are missing. I'll load a game (new or saved, doesn't matter), hover over a household (the Sims will show up in their little pictures at bottom-right), click Play for the household, and once the lot loads, there are no Sims there. Not ones I made; not ones that came with the game. I've done Repair Game; no change.

Here at MTS since 2008; avid S2 player/blogger; didn't care for S3; bought and hated SimCity 2013; am choosing to remain upbeat about Sims 4....

Mad Poster
#29 Old 16th May 2015 at 4:10 PM
How incredibly sad, Veil. I wonder what the heck happened to your Sims? Losing mods is trivial by comparison.

I can't say if it happened very recently or not. It may have happened a few days ago and I didn't notice. My game is set to automatically update whenever Origin is on and I have it on when I play Sims 2 as well. I stopped playing S4 for a while and went in to play a scenario in GTW a few times recently. There were a lot of bald-headed townies, so I probably had lost the content then (hair) and only just connected what happened when I saw your post.

Forum Resident
#30 Old 16th May 2015 at 4:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
How incredibly sad, Veil. I wonder what the heck happened to your Sims? Losing mods is trivial by comparison.

I can't say if it happened very recently or not. It may have happened a few days ago and I didn't notice. My game is set to automatically update whenever Origin is on and I have it on when I play Sims 2 as well. I stopped playing S4 for a while and went in to play a scenario in GTW a few times recently. There were a lot of bald-headed townies, so I probably had lost the content then (hair) and only just connected what happened when I saw your post.

So, I did the EA Live Chat help thingy--the guy sent me instrux for Sims THREE on resetting my Sims: resetSim *

This did not work. And, the loser EA guy closed my case number without checking to see if he had fixed my problem (with a suggestion from the wrong game).

Mad Poster
#31 Old 16th May 2015 at 6:20 PM
That really stinks. Shame on them, too!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#32 Old 16th May 2015 at 7:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mummy_001
I'm just asking but, Is your game a Legit game or a Pirated game downloaded from the internet?
The Pirated versions don't show the Sims 4 folder in the documents folder. Apparently you have to put mods and CC elsewhere. I don't know where because I have the Deluxe Version from Origin.
But this question about the missing Sims 4 Folder in the Documents folder has been asked many times and it always turns out to be the pirated version. Unless it has been installed on another drive.
I'm not saying your game is pirated but for anyone to be able to help its the next obvious question that needs to be asked.

Its Not i bought my game from target and my Expansion Packs are bought from origin
Scholar
#33 Old 17th May 2015 at 1:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Blossom001
Its Not i bought my game from target and my Expansion Packs are bought from origin

Ok just had to ask.
Did you do the updates with your Mods folder still in the Electronics arts folder? If you did then I am guessing the update has messed with it.
You should always remove the whole mods folder to the desktop (or anywhere you want) then do the game update, Then run the game. After running the game exit it and Then you add the mods folder back.

Try renaming the Sims 4 folder (in the Documents folder) to The Sims 4 old.

Then run the game, in theory it should generate a whole new Sims 4 Folder. Then close the game and check. If it has generated a new folder then there should be a mods folder in there.
You can then start adding your saved games back to the new Sims 4 folder check game then add tray folder back check game and then start adding mods and cc.
Remember to run game after each batch to check the game. Then if one of the cc or mods messes it up you wont have much to check as your only adding a handful back at a time.

You will have to reset your game options unless you transfer the options file from the old Sims 4 folder that you renamed to the new one.
I hope you are following me so far.
You may have to redownload some mods and cc but at least you know they will be updated to the new patch.

I have updated both the May patches and I have not had a single issue with any of my mods or cc but I did take out my Mods folder before doing the updates.

If what I have explained above does not work then it looks like you may be in for a reinstall.... Let us know how you get on.
Don't forget to alter the resource.cfg file to read inside sub folders if that's how you like your mod folder set up.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#34 Old 17th May 2015 at 8:10 AM
Ok just had to ask.
Did you do the updates with your Mods folder still in the Electronics arts folder? If you did then I am guessing the update has messed with it.
You should always remove the whole mods folder to the desktop (or anywhere you want) then do the game update, Then run the game. After running the game exit it and Then you add the mods folder back.

Try renaming the Sims 4 folder (in the Documents folder) to The Sims 4 old.

Then run the game, in theory it should generate a whole new Sims 4 Folder. Then close the game and check. If it has generated a new folder then there should be a mods folder in there.
You can then start adding your saved games back to the new Sims 4 folder check game then add tray folder back check game and then start adding mods and cc.
Remember to run game after each batch to check the game. Then if one of the cc or mods messes it up you wont have much to check as your only adding a handful back at a time.

You will have to reset your game options unless you transfer the options file from the old Sims 4 folder that you renamed to the new one.
I hope you are following me so far.
You may have to redownload some mods and cc but at least you know they will be updated to the new patch.

I have updated both the May patches and I have not had a single issue with any of my mods or cc but I did take out my Mods folder before doing the updates.

If what I have explained above does not work then it looks like you may be in for a reinstall.... Let us know how you get on.
Don't forget to alter the resource.cfg file to read inside sub folders if that's how you like your mod folder set up.

hmm I re installed twice already still not there and also i did do updates with the mods still in there so maybe that's why my Sims 4 folder is gone???
Scholar
#35 Old 17th May 2015 at 9:15 AM
Sorry Blossom001 I got confused with the other person who has jumped in on your thread with their issue which is different to yours.
Im sorry to be blunt but the only reason people do not have a Sims 4 folder in their my documents folder is due to a pirated game. Apparently this gets stored somewhere else.
The only other reason is that you are not looking correctly.
I have pasted images of one way to get to the correct folder. If indeed your game is not pirated then you need to log a live chat with Origin and get them to look at what is going on.

Leaving the mods folder in while updating will not cause the whole folder to become deleted. It merely causes glitches within the game that can sometimes only be fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling the game..
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#36 Old 17th May 2015 at 9:10 PM
Sorry Blossom001 I got confused with the other person who has jumped in on your thread with their issue which is different to yours.
Im sorry to be blunt but the only reason people do not have a Sims 4 folder in their my documents folder is due to a pirated game. Apparently this gets stored somewhere else.
The only other reason is that you are not looking correctly.
I have pasted images of one way to get to the correct folder. If indeed your game is not pirated then you need to log a live chat with Origin and get them to look at what is going on.

Leaving the mods folder in while updating will not cause the whole folder to become deleted. It merely causes glitches within the game that can sometimes only be fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling the game..

i guess i will have to live chat because its not there still and i looked in the folder you showed in the pictures
Scholar
#37 Old 19th May 2015 at 11:50 AM
Can you post pictures of your documents folder so we can see where you are looking.
Test Subject
#38 Old 27th Apr 2017 at 2:29 AM
hey for those of you who use windows 10, you should check your onedrive. my brother has the sims 4 on his pc with windows 10 and i searched his entire computer for the electronic arts folder. i miss and clicked on his onedrive and saw a documents folder in it and found the electronic arts folder for the sims 4!

here is where to look --------> C:\Users\xxxxx\OneDrive\Documents\Electronic Arts
Page 2 of 2