Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 8:43 AM Last edited by DesereiPandemoni : 22nd Aug 2015 at 10:10 AM.
Default Trait Combinations The Useful, The Entertaining, The Fitting but mostly the overspeacialized
So I'm not quite sure if there is already a thread for this, in the past I've seen plenty of threads about trait combos but none really seemed to talk about what I find the most interesting aspect of Trait combinations: Overspeacialization.

To explain what I mean it's where you focus on say all the tangentially related skill branches like bot building or inventing and make a Sim that has all the traits related to that area of expertise and nothing else. Or you craft a personality to fit a certain archetype I.E. Make that one Dating Sim archetype that always hangs out in the library Brooding,Shy, Loner, Bookworm, Neurotic.

The speacilzation can be anything but it needs to encompass all the traits to the point where you're Sims only advantages is in Sciencey things or Positive Moodlets or encompassing a particular cliche.

I was hoping that we could discuss what combinations are best for this, From the very obvious like Avant Garde, Artistic, Photographer's Eye, Savvy Sculptor and Virtuoso to the less obvious like what the best traits are for an Occult Sim either in terms of gameplay or in terms of adhereing to folk lore or pop culture. I'll give some examples and then perhaps you lot can join in.

I call this first combo the Techie: Bot Fan, Computer Whiz, Genius, Handy, Eccentric.

This combo is great if you want to get into all the science and geeky stuff if you go to university you can add angler and green thumb for assistance in rising in the ranks of the science career. But those two traits are so generic for the passion of it I prefer this combo. It's great fun trying to max out all the science skills and if you play your cards right professions, careers and university courses. It's really satisfying knowing my Sim loves science so much that they learned how to make robots TWICE

This next combo is one I call the Gumshoe Detective: Brave, Photographer's Eye, Kleptomaniac, Brooding, Perceptive. With University I personally would add Computer Whiz and Genius or Insane to branch out into the Crazy Conspiracey theorist archetype.

I read about an an overspeaciliazation for positive moodlets while gardening, on the Sims Wiki it was impressive but I wish they had more information about utilizing traits in such a specific way...alas this appeared to be the only such article the trait combination was this: Lucky, Eco-Friendly, Overemotional, Loves The Outdoors, Green Thumb.

Oh and here's a suggestion for a personality overspeaciliazation for pop culture inspired vampire sims: Night Owl, Brooding, Proper, Evil and Charismatic

Okay now you try or tell tales of when you tried such combinations and how they worked out.

I'm still waiting for someone to determine once and for all which trait combination allows a sim to wreck the most havoc on the world around them that'd be a very entertaining Sim to know how to make.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 11:27 AM
I normally find specific trait combinations boring because the sim is too "engineered" by that point to be interesting. For example, making a sim with the traits: Natural Cook, Charismatic, Green Thumb, Computer Whiz and Handy would be boring, because skilling would be less of a challenge.

For werewolves: Brave (so they don't chicken out around other supernaturals), Loves the Outdoors (so they enjoy hunting), Friendly/Charismatic (easier to make friends and make a pack), Gatherer (may help with finding collectibles, haven't used it), Angler (go fishing and eat fish raw to allow you to hunt more)

For vampires: Brave (same reason), Charismatic, Night Owl, Athletic (they never get fatigued so it's a great skill to practice), Hates the Outdoors (if they spend a lot of time hunting indoors e.g. in bars)

Some examples of sims I made:
- The Antisocial: Loner, Hates the Outdoors, Computer Whiz, Shy, Good Sense of Humor
- The Social Butterfly: Friendly, Good Sense of Humor, Lucky, Light Sleeper, Diva
- The Scum: Flirty, Commitment Issues, Hot-Headed, Dislikes Children, Charismatic
- The Sweet: Friendly, Good Sense of Humor, Neurotic, Green Thumb, Good
- The Inventor/Scientist: Genius, Hot-Headed/Good (depends), Eccentric/Insane, Loner, No/Good Sense of Humor
- The Bitch/Bastard: Snob, Charismatic, Commitment Issues, Mean Spirited, Insane/Evil
- The Hippie: Vegetarian, Friendly, Loves the Outdoors/Eco-Friendly, Green Thumb, Adventurous

I like to throw in 1-2 negative traits as well, makes things interesting.

Good traits for wreaking havoc: Mean Spirited, Inappropriate, Hot-Headed (starts A LOT of arguments out of the blue), Snob, Insane, Perfectionist, Dramatic (lots of insults and exaggerated behavior)
Evil is kind of meh, Hot-Headed is definitely better IMO. I avoided adding Neurotic since it is more beneficial than detrimental (very easy to rack up LTR points from the numerous "Clean X" wishes).

Regardless of traits, I always get all my sims the LTR Observant and Long Distance Friend. They're invaluable.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 11:35 AM Last edited by DesereiPandemoni : 22nd Aug 2015 at 12:32 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
I normally find specific trait combinations boring because the sim is too "engineered" by that point to be interesting.

I might not have been very clear about it but it doesn't have to be a positive combination I once tried to make a Sim that speacilized in being miserable. I gave her Grumpy, Unlucky, Dislikes Children, Hates The Outdoors, Can't Stand Art, Loser and Hydrophobe.

I liked to imagine she started off Unlucky and a Loser and her various phobias and hatreds were developed towards more and more things the longer she lived.

I also meant to say you could speacilize in conceptual things like the Dating Sim Archetype example or say giving a Sim only traits that start with the same letter. Things like that.

Also about Neurotic Sims I'm too lazy to cater to their OCD ways so when I play them they feel like a watered down Coward trait. Which is good cause the normal Coward trait seems to render it impossible for Sims to function at all or at least in my games (I tend to accumulate a lot of ghosts.)
Alchemist
#4 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 3:57 PM
Oh no, I meant that I generally prefer rolling random traits on sims; if I end up picking them myself, they'll inevitably turn out too "easy" I kinda like my sims to determine their own destinies in some weird way, like choosing random traits, learning the skills they want and pursuing the LTW they want (if I haven't played it too often before).

Ohh, I forgot about the Loser and Unlucky traits! For some reason, I've never rolled those before, lol. On a similar note, I would really like these traits!
Yeah, Coward sims get annoying when you interact with supernaturals often. Luckily, there are several reaction removal mods out there for that. I had to get one for the ghosts and simbots because everyone would constantly drop their queues to ogle/scream at them.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 6:16 PM
Loser and Unlucky are two of the most powerful traits in the game. Because the Grim Reaper is a spiteful jerk.

If a sim with Loser or Unlucky dies for any other reason than of old age, Grim will revive them free of charge because it's just too much fun to watch them fail at life. Now if you can manage to get your hands on an Age Freeze Potion before that happens you have a Sim who cannot die. At all. Oh, sure, they can be killed, but they'll get better. They'll be the eternal chew toys of the Grim Reaper. Of course, the sane thing to do then is to become a vampire and get a tan. Then sleep in a Murphy Bed, live off a steady diet of Magic Beans, kick every vending machine you see, fight all sharks, and of course grab the nearest Megaphone and rant about Death. Because you're immortal and Grim can just take it. (Do not do this on a mortal Sim, you have been warned.)

For the Don Juan cliche, I like to mix in Inappropriate. You wouldn't think it'd work, but... Flirty, Commitment Issues, Charismatic, Great Kisser, Inappropriate is a killer combination. You should aim to get the Celebrity challenge done in the Charisma skill, and get the Attractive Lifetime Reward as soon as possible. Then you click on any Sim your Sim hasn't met yet of the desired age and gender, click Special -> Inappropriate -> Kiss. Instant Romantic Interest and 50 free relationship points. Now THAT is a Great Kisser. You totally need to min/max to get that result, but it's amazing.

Mixing in Lifetime Rewards makes some Trait/Skill/Reward combinations downright scary. Charisma's Celebrity challenge, Attractive, and Long Distance Friend means that any Sim you so much as say "Hi!" to is now your friend forever unless you do something to interact negatively on that. You can complete the Super Popular LTW instantly when you get that LTW running.Visit neighbors, change jobs, find 20 Sims you don't know and greet them. Even if your Sim is Mean-Spirited, Inappropriate, Hot-Headed, Loner and Evil. He's still everyone's friend by learning their names the first time.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 2:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by McNum
Loser and Unlucky are two of the most powerful traits in the game. Because the Grim Reaper is a spiteful jerk.

If a sim with Loser or Unlucky dies for any other reason than of old age, Grim will revive them free of charge because it's just too much fun to watch them fail at life. Now if you can manage to get your hands on an Age Freeze Potion before that happens you have a Sim who cannot die. At all. Oh, sure, they can be killed, but they'll get better. They'll be the eternal chew toys of the Grim Reaper. Of course, the sane thing to do then is to become a vampire and get a tan. Then sleep in a Murphy Bed, live off a steady diet of Magic Beans, kick every vending machine you see, fight all sharks, and of course grab the nearest Megaphone and rant about Death. Because you're immortal and Grim can just take it. (Do not do this on a mortal Sim, you have been warned.)

Yeah I adore loser and unlucky because you're the world's chew toy and yet the sweet realease of death is denied you.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 2:51 AM
Hilariously, I always liked the Loser and Unlucky traits, yet I never played with them. Now, it gives me an idea for a new archetype:

The Woobie - Coward, Loser, Unlucky, Socially Awkward + One positive trait of your choice

Personally, the two traits that would fit the best in the 5th slot are Friendly and Artistic; the former because, while the Sim would be a wreck, they would love to be with someone who sympathizes with them(but has difficulty with that due to the Socially Awkward trait), the latter because they could unload their hatred of the world into angsty paintings.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 2:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DesereiPandemoni
Yeah I adore loser and unlucky because you're the world's chew toy and yet the sweet realease of death is denied you.

On one side, yay, immortality, on the other... Did you know Losers have a unique wish called "Be a winner, just ONCE!"? They can apparently roll it when interacting with another Loser, since the only time they'll win at anything is to play against another Loser. So, they live forever... and will hate every day of it. I guess that means Grim still won, even when the Loser rigged the game. That's kind of deep in a hilarious way.

As for trait combos, Ambitious is a great allround booster. Got a career or skill LTW? You'll never go wrong with an Ambitious + Workaholic or Ambitious + Skill Trait combo. Your Sim will get anxious if they haven't gotten a promotion or learned a skill point recently, though. But they also get more reward points which means getting access to Fast Learner or Multi Tasker faster, which makes skills or job performance go up faster. The earlier you get either of those, the more benefit you get from them.

For more generic combos, Neurotic combined with Ambitious and Over-Emotional is an interesting combo. Neurotic Sims will roll wishes for mundane things, and get a little bit of Reward Points and a small mood boost whenever they do so. Over-Emotional and Ambitious boosts those two, meaning they can gain Reward Points and be in a better mood pretty easily. Just be aware that it's a double-edged sword. They also get in a bad mood faster, but that's where Neurotic comes in. Click Sim, Freak Out. Done.

And for those who want a living contradiction, make a Vampire, Witch, Werewolf, Ghost, Genie, or Fairy and give them Supernatural Skeptic. All that does is make them worse at being supernaturals, but it's also kind of hilarious to have a fairy who doesn't believe in fairies.
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 3:37 AM Last edited by DesereiPandemoni : 23rd Aug 2015 at 4:28 AM.
On the subject of traits for supernaturals...
I like to include Bot Fan and Supernatural Fan when I roleplay as an otherkin

But more seriously

For Witches I like giving them the Daredevil trait because Daredevil's like fire and Witches get that fire spell. I also give them Cat Person or Animal Lover because if you're going to have a familiar around you might aswell socialize with it and Supernatural Fan cause it helps with Alchemy.

I find Evil, Rebellious and Good Sense Of Humour are all good Traits for Fairies I also tend to give them Insane because folklorically speaking fairies tend to be lunatics or at least appear that way to human observers.

Oh and Kleptomaniac it's a shame there's no Kidnapper trait but when life gives you lemons...
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 10:07 AM
The Emotional Abuser: Charismatic, Mean Spirited, Irresistible, Over-Emotional, Flip Flopper

The Rebellious Drama Queen: Rebellious, Over-Emotional, Diva, Daredevil, Drama Queen

The Procrastinating Artist: Artistic, Absent-Minded, Procrastinator, Avant Garde, Socially Awkward

The Bad Roommate: Couch Potato, Heavy Sleeper, Slob, Kleptomaniac, Coward, Inapproriate
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 7:38 AM
Thought up an interesting speacialization Dramatic, Inappropriate, Insane these are all traits that help you raise one or more of your motives with little or no assistance from items or people Dramatic raises your energy, Insane your fun and social and Inappropriate assuming there is a sink nearby helps with hygiene. I think Brooding and Diva also help increase your fun and social motives but that's all the ones I know so unless someone else knows a trait to help with hunger that's all I know for having the perfect self-sufficent squatter.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 2:28 AM
For evil sims, I honestly prefer the Mean-Spirited and Hot-Headed traits to the Evil trait. They do more than that trait does.

Some things (not necessarily trait combos) I have always wanted to do:

1. Dramatic, Coward, Over-Emotional. I like the over emotional trait and I haven't gotten around to playing the other two traits yet. They sound fun.

2. Proper. I don't have the EP it comes with, but I've always wanted to create a strict "hall monitor" at a Sim School (not like I can do that because of rabbit holes though) and have her give everyone and anyone "what for." There are staff like that at my school, lol.

3. Geek/Nerd: This sim idea is more of a prep than a nerd in my mind, but she does teach math. So I wanted to use cheats to give her enough nerd influence so she can kill people by telling them to divide by zero. But of course I don't have University Life, soooo.... wah.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Test Subject
#13 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 5:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DesereiPandemoni
Thought up an interesting speacialization Dramatic, Inappropriate, Insane these are all traits that help you raise one or more of your motives with little or no assistance from items or people Dramatic raises your energy, Insane your fun and social and Inappropriate assuming there is a sink nearby helps with hygiene. I think Brooding and Diva also help increase your fun and social motives but that's all the ones I know so unless someone else knows a trait to help with hunger that's all I know for having the perfect self-sufficent squatter.

Genies and Witches can summon their own food, and Genies seem to always wind up with perfect food.
Test Subject
#14 Old 19th Apr 2017 at 5:59 PM
What would a sim be if they were Evil, Flirty and Hopeless Romantic?
Site Helper
#15 Old 19th Apr 2017 at 7:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rigby95
What would a sim be if they were Evil, Flirty and Hopeless Romantic?

A Stalker?

Hot-headed, Mean Spirited, Lucky, Inappropriate, and Evil was a good combination for a witch who set fires and destroyed marriages everywhere she went. Then I got Hybrid from NRAAs and added Fairy to the combination and that sim had to be removed from the game.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Alchemist
#16 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 10:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
Hot-headed, Mean Spirited, Lucky, Inappropriate, and Evil was a good combination for a witch who set fires and destroyed marriages everywhere she went. Then I got Hybrid from NRAAs and added Fairy to the combination and that sim had to be removed from the game.

You know, I've added Unlucky to one of my current sims just to test it out...and it doesn't really seem to do much. It seems to have a more noticeable on fairies and witches in that when they have the "Feeling Unlucky" moodlet their spells are more likely to fail or backfire, but even that didn't happen too often compared to a sim without the trait. I don't know what effect it would have on a rabbithole job since she's self-employed, but I assume it'd result in more mishaps?

Hopeless Romantic sims will flirt with EVERYONE they're attracted to. I made a sim with this trait + Family Oriented and he kept making passes at my very happily married fairy, while being married himself. She'd reject him at first but then roll a romantic interaction herself! Now I carefully police their interactions whenever they're on the same lot

Also I discovered that Proper is VERY nice to have, if solely for the "Proper Introduction" which comes with a decent relationship boost that is almost as much as the boost you get from the Charming Introduction. Except you don't even need the Charisma skill if you have the Proper Introduction

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Scholar
#17 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 11:17 AM
You know, I've added Unlucky to one of my current sims just to test it out...and it doesn't really seem to do much. It seems to have a more noticeable on fairies and witches in that when they have the "Feeling Unlucky" moodlet their spells are more likely to fail or backfire, but even that didn't happen too often compared to a sim without the trait. I don't know what effect it would have on a rabbithole job since she's self-employed, but I assume it'd result in more mishaps?

The thing I noticed with my Unlucky sim is that nobody ever wants to come over to visit and they cancel on me a lot when we are supposed to meet out. It actually becomes annoying if your sim is a home body and is trying to develop a relationship/romance.

Wren-der Simblr // Sim Art // Pictures // Downloads // Random Nonsensical Rambling
Alchemist
#18 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 11:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MurderPrincessK
The thing I noticed with my Unlucky sim is that nobody ever wants to come over to visit and they cancel on me a lot when we are supposed to meet out. It actually becomes annoying if your sim is a home body and is trying to develop a relationship/romance.

Huh, now that you mention it, this has been happening to me too! Even with Best Friends, which should always come over unless they're working or at school.

A fairy sim would do well with the Perfect Garden lifetime wish and the traits: Green Thumb, Loves the Outdoors and Angler. Maybe with the Super Green thumb LTR as well. But the Bloom interaction on its own is sufficient as well, especially when you get into the upper levels of the fairy magic skill and can also increase the quality of the plants.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Site Helper
#19 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 7:06 PM
A fairy sim would do well with the Perfect Garden lifetime wish and the traits: Green Thumb, Loves the Outdoors and Angler. Maybe with the Super Green thumb LTR as well. But the Bloom interaction on its own is sufficient as well, especially when you get into the upper levels of the fairy magic skill and can also increase the quality of the plants.

Add Gatherer to that mix. That boosts the quality even more than the green thumb/super green thumb combo alone. I had a sim who was given a Foul Ghost Chili, so he let his wife plant it. The initial plant was Excellent quality. The next one was perfect.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 9:04 PM
I rarely do overspecialized sims because I think a more diverse personality makes things more interesting and realistic, but here's some examples anyway:

For authors...
Bookworm: self-explanatory
No Sense of Humor: fun bar drops more slowly
Hates the Outdoors: no stir crazy moodlet from staying at home too long
Loner: lower need for social interactions, positive moodlet when writing alone in their room
(optionally Perfectionist: for when you want to write higher quality stuff, writing takes longer though)
Combine that with a trait that gives a bonus to whatever type of book you want them to write (Brooding for poetry, Rebellious for satire, Hopeless Romantic for romances, etc. ...) and you have a super specialized author sim!

For super serious and boring career sims...
Workaholic: Sim will love working and get promotions more easily
Ambitious: get promotions even more easily + more lifetime happiness points
No Sense of Humor: lower need for fun
Supernatural Sceptic: Sim does better in business, politics, law enforcement and journalism careers

Complimentary traits (literally) for partners: give one sim the traits Diva and Snob and the other one Easily Impressed and Good. The diva/snob sim will love to boast, request compliments and talk about themselves all the time, and the other sim will love complimenting and listening to the snob