Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 5:44 PM Last edited by Greenplumbbob : 18th Apr 2017 at 5:37 PM.
Sims 4 won't work with mods
Hi! So, I was wondering if anyone knew what's up.

My Sims 4 game won't work with any of my mods. I already have them installed and mods turned on in settings. The only time the game works is when I remove everything from my mods folder.

Is there anyway to run my mods to see if something is broken?

The last time this happened, I had to restart the entire game from scratch, including all of my saved sims and data, and extras I had payed for.

If I can avoid that, and keep modding, it would be great! Any tips appreciated <3
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 6:17 PM
Add one package file at a time, try game, then If it works, then add another package then retest, until you find the offending mod.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 3:17 PM
I see you're a new poster. In case that means you're also new to the game, you may find it useful to know that a lot of mods actually get broken by every game patch, so it is essential to disable mods until you have had a chance to go to all the places you downloaded your mods from and make sure the author of the mod has provided an updated version or said the old version is still ok.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 4:23 PM
I've been playing Sims 4 on my own since it came out, but I just never exactly joined the community. (Shy person alert) But, this time I just didn't want to lose the data.

Thank you guys so much! A searching I will go. And this time, much better organizing too.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 9:55 PM
When you're testing your mods.....one at a time....be very careful that you don't save your game as you continue to add - unless you have a totally cc-free vanilla game otherwise. I'm not sure if you're talking about mods (as in altering behavior of sims or game) or cc as in clothing, furniture, et al. Often the term "mods" means both (and they all go into a folder named "mods" anyway). I have a huge mods file (mostly cc items)....while testing for a bad actor I fell into automatic response and saved. I spent the next few weeks adding back hairs to all my bald sims...and clothing and the females had mostly the orange bra EA top.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 27th Mar 2017 at 1:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Skanning
When you're testing your mods.....one at a time....be very careful that you don't save your game as you continue to add - unless you have a totally cc-free vanilla game otherwise. I'm not sure if you're talking about mods (as in altering behavior of sims or game) or cc as in clothing, furniture, et al. Often the term "mods" means both (and they all go into a folder named "mods" anyway). I have a huge mods file (mostly cc items)....while testing for a bad actor I fell into automatic response and saved. I spent the next few weeks adding back hairs to all my bald sims...and clothing and the females had mostly the orange bra EA top.

That is tedious. It can go a little quicker if you use the 50/50 method, although I seem to remember something about mod incompatibility in past Sims games.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 27th Mar 2017 at 5:35 AM
I use the 50/50 too, but thank goodness have only had to do it once and found the offender pretty fast.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 27th Mar 2017 at 7:01 PM
I wish you luck finding it.. it took me two days to find a conflicting mod file.. it was in the last file I pulled out and tested what a pain in the butt!
Test Subject
#9 Old 18th Apr 2017 at 11:01 AM
If you're like me and have nearly 1000 files in your mods folder then you'll understand why the "put in one package file at a time" thing doesn't really go down well.
Usually it's not a package file but a ts4script file that tends to destroy the game (for me, my Sims refused to eat ANYTHING). You'll tend to have far fewer ts4script files than you do package files even if you're a huge modder like me - try removing those and readding them one by one until you find the offender
Scholar
#10 Old 18th Apr 2017 at 12:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by spiralqq
If you're like me and have nearly 1000 files in your mods folder then you'll understand why the "put in one package file at a time" thing doesn't really go down well.
Usually it's not a package file but a ts4script file that tends to destroy the game (for me, my Sims refused to eat ANYTHING). You'll tend to have far fewer ts4script files than you do package files even if you're a huge modder like me - try removing those and readding them one by one until you find the offender

I have around 3,600 files in my mods folder. I use a testing folder for testing anything new, and sure, that helps a lot, but the 50/50 method is the way to go when all else fails - period. I wouldn't necessarily blame a script file by itself (like you blamed MC Command Center's CAS module for Sims not eating in another thread, when I know for a fact that's wrong) - it's usually that whatever script mod you're using is outdated or in conflict with something else.
dodgy builder
#11 Old 18th Apr 2017 at 4:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aparkison
I have around 3,600 files in my mods folder. I use a testing folder for testing anything new, and sure, that helps a lot, but the 50/50 method is the way to go when all else fails - period. I wouldn't necessarily blame a script file by itself (like you blamed MC Command Center's CAS module for Sims not eating in another thread, when I know for a fact that's wrong) - it's usually that whatever script mod you're using is outdated or in conflict with something else.

Don't tell me you test clothes and gaming mods the same? You don't have that many gaming mods? I have very few gaming mods and they are easily tested. Then one by one works nicely, otherwise I would certainly recommend the 50/50 method.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#12 Old 18th Apr 2017 at 5:37 PM
Test Subject
#13 Old 31st May 2018 at 3:03 AM
Default same
Quote: Originally posted by lilskyscrapers
Hi! So, I was wondering if anyone knew what's up.

My Sims 4 game won't work with any of my mods. I already have them installed and mods turned on in settings. The only time the game works is when I remove everything from my mods folder.

Is there anyway to run my mods to see if something is broken?

The last time this happened, I had to restart the entire game from scratch, including all of my saved sims and data, and extras I had payed for.

If I can avoid that, and keep modding, it would be great! Any tips appreciated <3

Same but I have a no intro mod and that's the only thing that works