Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 11:15 PM
Default Game dilema ... need some opinions
I recently got an upgrade on my paint program .. yay me .. and so I started back on my remodeling of the Maxis houses. I set for myself two rules: 1) I couldn't change the footprint of the house. Meanin that I could gut the inside and no outside walls or foundation could be added or removed. 2) No CC.

Soooo.... I have an opinion question to help me decide if it's an ok or a no no. I'm on the Goth Manor and I'm tryin to figure out a wayy to get to the rooftop where the telescope is. I don't like havin the open stairs, but enclosing that area means buildin wall so I told myself no. Then I thought of usin the elevator, Morty is old and to climb that many stairs .. uh yeah, but there is no outside area and to leave it plain is ick, however to fix it would be to put walls around it... and that is my dilema. See, I'm sorta ok with that but not w/ the other.

Here's the question: Is puttin walls around the elevator, or even using the elevator, breakin rule #1 of no change to the houses footprint?

Comments ....
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 11:22 PM
Nah, it's for aesthetics rather than changing the layout. I'd let it pass.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 12:13 AM
I would remove the elevator and teleport him up there. I think the box spoils the roof line.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 2:15 AM
I just put a room around the stairway and close off the side walls to winterize that floor and this way the outside is never touched. (3rd floor.)

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#5 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 2:17 AM
The footprint is the shape it makes on the ground, so the roof is fair game.

My own solution to the roof problem is to move the telescope to the black area, take away half the floor and most of the railings, put a gable roof on everything up to the front black area, place stairs from the third floor, floor enough to give them an attic and allow a walkway to the front of the gable, put a door in the gable, and suddenly the top of the house looks great. And roofs are not walls so technically, as your rule is worded, you haven't changed anything forbidden - walls and foundations are intact.

The main issue, since the only person you have to please is yourself, is: Does this have an aesthetic result that satisfies your urge to rebuild? Any solution that does that is a good solution.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Theorist
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 2:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
Nah, it's for aesthetics rather than changing the layout. I'd let it pass.

That's sorta what I was thinkin, but since technically they ARE walls ...

Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I would remove the elevator and teleport him up there. I think the box spoils the roof line.

Thanks for the suggestion, but teleporting means I'd have to strongly micromanage the entire house as well as deal with stompage when someone couldn't reach the telescope.

Quote: Originally posted by marka93
I just put a room around the stairway and close off the side walls to winterize that floor and this way the outside is never touched. (3rd floor.)

That's what I've done in the past and was fixin to do again, but I was lookin for other options to do things a bit different than the way I normally do them.

Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
The footprint is the shape it makes on the ground, so the roof is fair game.

My own solution to the roof problem is to move the telescope to the black area, take away half the floor and most of the railings, put a gable roof on everything up to the front black area, place stairs from the third floor, floor enough to give them an attic and allow a walkway to the front of the gable, put a door in the gable, and suddenly the top of the house looks great. And roofs are not walls so technically, as your rule is worded, you haven't changed anything forbidden - walls and foundations are intact.

The main issue, since the only person you have to please is yourself, is: Does this have an aesthetic result that satisfies your urge to rebuild? Any solution that does that is a good solution.

I think I like this... I might see what I can come up with.

Thanks ya'll for the comments, ya'll were very helpful in helpin to clear the cobwebs and rocks away so I think I know what I'm gonna do. :D