Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 7:50 PM
I haven't used Clean Installer in awhile, but I have several walls and floors that apparently came from Parsimonious.org that have names like wall_af543308, but that's because it's the actual filename. Whoever made the thing never bothered to call it anything more descriptive.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#27 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 8:29 PM Last edited by maxon : 18th Apr 2018 at 9:31 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
Really? That just seems so strange to me, cuz it's the only way I get the gibberish files the OP is talking about (again, I don't use bodyshop). I'm not at home right now, so I can't show pictures or anything, but if I install a lot and check the CC to install with the lot, all the CC files get renamed and placed in TS2/Downloads, as I mentioned above. It doesn't do that for everyone?

Nope - not for me - ever. You're using Clean Installer from here? The renaming thing is associated with the in-game installer and installing lots which already have odd-named files in them. You're not confusing the label with the file name are you? I'll post a picture of what I mean when I get onto the other side of my computer.

Edit - so this is what I mean. The first picture shows you what you normally see in Clean Installer when you use it to open a lot file. You have a column called name. And, as you can see in this example, there are a couple of files there with gibberish names. BUT the point is, though that column says 'name', it's not really, it's a label. I'm not sure how CI gets that name/label - they seem to come from a variety of sources, including the CTSS, OBJD, text lists (maybe) and the filename itself. I'm thinking when Moo updated the Clean Installer or whoeveritwas made it in the first place (I've forgotten), that there was some sort of routine for getting a label which might let you identify the CC - with the filename being the last option. It does look like recolours use the filename for the label though which makes sense because they don't have anything inside them with a name.

However, the actual file name is shown when you expand the Clean Installer window (2nd picture). It's usually the fourth column and, ooops, there are far more gibberish names there and that's what they'll be called when CI installs them. It's not Clean Installer renaming files, the files are already called that when they're packed into the lot file. Clean Installer, AFAIK, has no renaming ability, it's just an unpacker.

The gibberish names, AFAIK, come into existence as a result of using the in-game installer. That's the thing that has a renamer facility. EAxis did it to avoid overwriting files.

(also - apologies to Puppetfish, whose lot this is, you did nothing wrong - this is just the first lot I came across that had an example of gibberish file names. Don't kill me!)

Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
I haven't used Clean Installer in awhile, but I have several walls and floors that apparently came from Parsimonious.org that have names like wall_af543308, but that's because it's the actual filename. Whoever made the thing never bothered to call it anything more descriptive.

To be fair, when the game first came out, we thought you couldn't rename files. Parsim has been going since very early on.
Screenshots

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Alchemist
#28 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 10:43 PM
Very interesting and helpful, @maxon; I'll have to double check when I get home to see if the gibberish files I get are the recolors and such type files with no File Name.

Can the File Name field be edited from the installer, so that when it unpacks files, everything is named correctly?

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#29 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 11:04 PM
@Rosebine The gibberish that maxon shows on her screenshot. Instead of the name Dark blue slate it shows up as wall_giberish.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#30 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 11:38 PM
@maxon and @Rosebine, you were right! It is the file name that makes things come out as gibberish. And you can rename it in the installer, too. I guess you really do learn something new everyday! Thanks to the both of you.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#31 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 11:40 PM
Changes nothing to what you said previously, Jo. Clean Installer does not rename files. Only the creators can do this, and not all creators bother renaming their files.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#32 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
@maxon and @Rosebine, you were right! It is the file name that makes things come out as gibberish. And you can rename it in the installer, too. I guess you really do learn something new everyday! Thanks to the both of you.

Oh good you worked it out - you right-click on the item and choose rename.

What dark blue slate?

Jo - the 'name' column isn't the name of the file and never was - it's a label CI gives the item, usually based on a name found inside the file. The actual file name is listed in the filename column - and as Rose said, only users (and, as it happens, the in game installer) do anything to file names. Clean Installer will install a gibberish filename because that's what it has in the first place because that's what got packed up with the lot.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Scholar
#33 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 7:11 PM
So glad I'm not the only one with a folder named Gibberish.
Mad Poster
#35 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 8:45 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 19th Apr 2018 at 8:55 PM.
For objects, the "name" category seem to be the "Catalog description", or the file name if it's a recolor. Occasionally the OBJD description will show up, but most often not.

The "fileName" is the actual file name.

I'm not sure for walls and floors. Maybe if there isn't a proper description, the game renames them to a random Hex number, and slaps _0001 / _0002 / etc. behind if there are several copies of the same wall/floor/groundcover, or if it detects several files with the same description. Maybe it simply gives these files new names because it doesn't know what to do with them.

Mailbox and trashcan recolors seem to be added every time if you've got the buyable ones in your Downloads folder, since those objects also get added (the lot packager seem to add most or all recolors of the items you've placed in the lot). It might also have something to do with the CEP, if you have it, particularly if you use any of the objects the _EnableColorOptionsGMND file changes. I've noticed this file will sometimes also be added with a lot, though not always.

I don't think the Clean Installer is giving the CC new names. It's most likely the default packaging system when it makes the Sims2pack files (remember that the Clean Installer can't pack them up ingame). Perhaps it doesn't know what to name the files it can't find a description for, so it'll just give the files a random Hex name.
Alchemist
#36 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 12:23 AM
for at least Body Shop creations, a program from the Downloads section of this site can rename them; Body Shop Mechanic. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=231443

files from Sims2Pack files; Clean Installer would give each file its "original" name.
also another program from Downloads section; Multi-Sims2Pack Installer. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=37577

edit:: Clean Installer also has a browser. renaming can be done in the browser; just right-click the file then select rename.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#37 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 1:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Oh good you worked it out - you right-click on the item and choose rename.

What dark blue slate?

Jo - the 'name' column isn't the name of the file and never was - it's a label CI gives the item, usually based on a name found inside the file. The actual file name is listed in the filename column - and as Rose said, only users (and, as it happens, the in game installer) do anything to file names. Clean Installer will install a gibberish filename because that's what it has in the first place because that's what got packed up with the lot.

I know, I wish it was. I use something from the name column when I rename them. Dark Blue Slate was the name of a wall. Well, 99% of walls are packed with gibberish names then and I wish they weren't.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#38 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 3:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I'm not sure for walls and floors. Maybe if there isn't a proper description, the game renames them to a random Hex number, and slaps _0001 / _0002 / etc. behind if there are several copies of the same wall/floor/groundcover, or if it detects several files with the same description. Maybe it simply gives these files new names because it doesn't know what to do with them.

I think the label/name for walls/floors in Clean Installer is from the CTSS (catalogue description - or whatever the wall/floor equivalent is for that) - they usually turn up with what I put in there. Filenames still what I called them though.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I know, I wish it was. I use something from the name column when I rename them. Dark Blue Slate was the name of a wall. Well, 99% of walls are packed with gibberish names then and I wish they weren't.

It's the way Homecrafter names them unfortunately - when I'm making walls and floors, I often use Clean Installer to rename all the newly made files once I exit Homecrafter. I'm sure EAxis did it that way to avoid any issues of duplicate file names. There are many red dresses for example but you can only have one filename that says RedDress.package.

Mad Poster
#39 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 5:00 PM
I simple rename them from where it puts them, so from my Downloads folder, once I close Home Crafter. They will be alone in there, since my Downloads folder does not contains walls and floors.
I took note of which one I was making, and in order.
Sorting by date, will tell me which I created first, second, third...and which I did last, etc.
Once renamed properly, I move them in their appropriate folder, aka My Walls, or My Floors.
As a lazy person, if I myself can do this, I wonder why there are so many unnamed walls and floors around!
Enough of them to create discussions about renaming them anyway.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#40 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 5:26 PM
Indeed - I tend to keep editing things (because I'm totally anal about having things conform to whatever system I'm using - naming conventions, prices, what I say in the comment. I can try to remember the order - or even write it down - no guarantee though that's the order I saved them in once I get to the end of a batch. Clean Installer is good for that. But I agree, I prefer to see walls and floors (and terrain paints) renamed.

Field Researcher
#41 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 5:31 PM
Once my game would not stop crashing, and I found out through the 50/50 method that the culprit was a stowaway file named something akin to "uuuuhhsukaskdjkjakuuuu - MESH"
So, unless they are that suspicious, I let them there, forgotten and mysterious. It is an antique Downloads folder, so there is all sorts of unknown files. Some day I will temporally pull them out and see what is missing in my game to figure out their functions, but since I have been sleeping no more than 4 hours a day, well, the plan is often postponed.

I guess the answer is... I let them be? No problems so far. The file I mentioned obviously was a mischief from some "creator"
Mad Poster
#42 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 5:32 PM
Naming convention..oh yes. Once i found a way I like for my own files, everything i create after that needs to be named the same way. It just make sense, and it looks neat.

Page 2 of 2