Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 10:34 AM Last edited by Revoix : 11th Jul 2018 at 8:37 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Townies keep spawning?
Hello everyone,
I hope you’re all having a great day,
I have a custom neighborhood that spawns townies only when I play a sim that lives on an apartment. I have empty templates and all the mods to stop townies from generating,even the one that stops townies from moving into apartments.
When I play other lots townies do not spawn, so I’m not sure what’s causing this issue?
Please help and thank you in advance! <3
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 11:56 AM
You can't stop the townies generating for apartments - even if you use the townies as apartment dwellers mod.

The neighbours in apartments are treated differently in game than the regular townies. If you don't use the townies-as-apartment-dwellers mod, they are a different type of townie altogether (a social group townie) and there is no notownie regen mod for those. Apparently, you can't stop the game making them. If you do use the townies-as-apartment-dwellers mod, the game still calls for a neighbour for each apartment but will use a townie instead (if there is one). If there isn't, I think it makes a social group townie for you.

The only way to prevent the bloating is to have a sim family in each apartment - then the game won't call for the neighbours. But this has to be done when you first load the lot. The way I did it in Polgannon was as follows:

Build the apartment (obviously)
Move in the first family and claim an apartment
Save immediately and exit
Move in the next family and repeat the process till you reach your maximum of four. (If you have 6 apartments on the lot, you will have neighbours whether you like it or not).

Doing it this way means you only get ONE apartment neighbour because the game will call one immediately your first family claims am apartment. However, it will call the same one when your second family claims an apartment and so you have time to save and exit before it calls the next one which it will do several seconds later (I think about 15 seconds in live mode, though I haven't actually timed it)

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 12:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
You can't stop the townies generating for apartments - even if you use the townies as apartment dwellers mod.

The neighbours in apartments are treated differently in game than the regular townies. If you don't use the townies-as-apartment-dwellers mod, they are a different type of townie altogether (a social group townie) and there is no notownie regen mod for those. Apparently, you can't stop the game making them. If you do use the townies-as-apartment-dwellers mod, the game still calls for a neighbour for each apartment but will use a townie instead (if there is one). If there isn't, I think it makes a social group townie for you.

The only way to prevent the bloating is to have a sim family in each apartment - then the game won't call for the neighbours. But this has to be done when you first load the lot. The way I did it in Polgannon was as follows:

Build the apartment (obviously)
Move in the first family and claim an apartment
Save immediately and exit
Move in the next family and repeat the process till you reach your maximum of four. (If you have 6 apartments on the lot, you will have neighbours whether you like it or not).

Doing it this way means you only get ONE apartment neighbour because the game will call one immediately your first family claims am apartment. However, it will call the same one when your second family claims an apartment and so you have time to save and exit before it calls the next one which it will do several seconds later (I think about 15 seconds in live mode, though I haven't actually timed it)

I think you understood me wrong, the mod (which is no townie neighbours by nysha) prevented apartment townies from spawning but this wasn’t the issue, my issue is that when I play in an apartment, townies keep spawning. The townies don’t move into the apartment, they just exist in my game (if that makes sense)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 12:56 PM
You see the character folder increase every time you play?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 12:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You see the character folder increase every time you play?

I only saw it increase and saw the townies after I played the apartment lot after a few minutes.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 1:02 PM
They have to be spawning from somewhere. Are you on disks or UC? Are they regular townies or social townies? ST should be wearing one of the ST outfits.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 1:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
They have to be spawning from somewhere. Are you on disks or UC? Are they regular townies or social townies? ST should be wearing one of the ST outfits.

I'm on UC, and they are regular townies.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#8 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 1:50 PM
Has your nogtownieregen hack been disabled or ripped - did you look at the file? (Seriously, this can be a thing).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 1:55 PM
Has your nogtownieregen hack been disabled or ripped - did you look at the file? (Seriously, this can be a thing).

How can I check if its disabled or ripped?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 3:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Revoix
How can I check if its disabled or ripped?

TBH it's unlikely but a possibility - post a copy of the file here and we'll take a look.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 3:08 PM Last edited by Revoix : 8th Jul 2018 at 5:35 PM.
TBH it's unlikely but a possibility - post a copy of the file here and we'll take a look.

Here you go!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 4:48 PM Last edited by maxon : 8th Jul 2018 at 5:01 PM.
Here you go!

OK well that looks as it should - you can remove the file now.

Not much help there but at least that possibility is removed.

The other possibility is you didn't properly clear the templates when you installed them. Are the townies generating as you play (i.e. is there a slight pause while the game makes one) or are they just turning up on the lot? And are files being added to the Characters folder?

Also, where did you have the file? I mean the location. Some people have issues with certain files being in sub-folders though I've never heard that as an issue with that particular hack.

Did you try running the HCDU to see if there's a reported clash with notownieregen?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 5:34 PM
OK well that looks as it should - you can remove the file now.

Not much help there but at least that possibility is removed.

The other possibility is you didn't properly clear the templates when you installed them. Are the townies generating as you play (i.e. is there a slight pause while the game makes one) or are they just turning up on the lot? And are files being added to the Characters folder?

Also, where did you have the file? I mean the location. Some people have issues with certain files being in sub-folders though I've never heard that as an issue with that particular hack.

Did you try running the HCDU to see if there's a reported clash with notownieregen?

Townies only started generating when I played the apartment lot, before it I didn't have any townies other than the ones that are required to spawn (mailman,hobby instructors)
Their files are being added to the characters folder. Notownieregen is in my downloads folder,and it's under a folder called MATY mods.
There are no conflicts with notownieregen. I didn't understand what you mean by ''properly clear the templates'' I believe I installed them correctly, but I'm not sure if that's what you meant.
Thank you for all the help so far!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 5:49 PM
Townies only started generating when I played the apartment lot, before it I didn't have any townies other than the ones that are required to spawn (mailman,hobby instructors)
Their files are being added to the characters folder. Notownieregen is in my downloads folder,and it's under a folder called MATY mods.
There are no conflicts with notownieregen. I didn't understand what you mean by ''properly clear the templates'' I believe I installed them correctly, but I'm not sure if that's what you meant.
Thank you for all the help so far!

I meant quite a few people have trouble installing the templates and often miss something - but if they're generating as you play, that's not it. Interesting what you say about HCDU because from what you're saying, something is preventing notownieregen from working. It appears you are not doing anything that could be another source of problem as far as I can tell.

Next maybe try:

1. redownloading a fresh copy of notownieregen (you never know) and trying again
2. check you have not inadvertently disabled CC - two places to check for that. In the pop up screen that appears at the start (if you disabled it, re-enable it to check) and in the settings. It's an easy thing to happen.

Does it only happen on the one lot? An apartment lot? Did you try other apartment lots?
Do you have both Nysha's apartment neighbour banning hack and the townies-as-apartment-neighbours hack?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 9:22 PM Last edited by Revoix : 8th Jul 2018 at 9:43 PM.
I meant quite a few people have trouble installing the templates and often miss something - but if they're generating as you play, that's not it. Interesting what you say about HCDU because from what you're saying, something is preventing notownieregen from working. It appears you are not doing anything that could be another source of problem as far as I can tell.

Next maybe try:

1. redownloading a fresh copy of notownieregen (you never know) and trying again
2. check you have not inadvertently disabled CC - two places to check for that. In the pop up screen that appears at the start (if you disabled it, re-enable it to check) and in the settings. It's an easy thing to happen.

Does it only happen on the one lot? An apartment lot? Did you try other apartment lots?
Do you have both Nysha's apartment neighbour banning hack and the townies-as-apartment-neighbours hack?

Mods are not disabled,but when I saw the mod list ingame there was a , and it was also next to other mods, is that normal?
Okay so apparently I was wrong, townies started generating since I started a new neighborhood, but theyre kind of invisible? They show up in character files but I cannot summon them ingame (There are a few I can summon) .
The issue is caused when I play that specific apartment too,is it because its in my bin?
Also, I have Nysha's mod but I don't have townies-as-apartment-neighbours mod, is it by Cyjon (so I can know where to download it from) ?
Sorry for the many questions!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#16 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 9:43 PM
Mods are not disabled,but when I saw the mod list ingame there was a , and it was also next to other mods, is that normal?

Yes, that's EAxis's way of telling you the said mod changes game code. A lot of mods and hacks get that.
Okay so apparently I was wrong, townies started generating since I started a new neighborhood, but theyre kind of invisible? They show up in character files but I cannot summon them ingame (There are a few I can summon).

Sounds like there's definitely something clashing with notownieregen then - I think you're going to have to do the 50/50 to find whatever it is. PITA for clashing hacks. I'd suggest first taking everything out except notownieregen and testing to make sure it does work on its own. Then you'll have to put stuff back in halves or batches till you can reproduce the problem. Something very odd is going on there.
Also, I have Nysha's mod but I don't have townies-as-apartment-neighbours mod, is it by Cyjon (so I can know where to download it from) ?

My thinking here was that if you did have both, that might be the source of the problem but, again, it's not so....

Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 9:51 PM
Yes, that's EAxis's way of telling you the said mod changes game code. A lot of mods and hacks get that.

Sounds like there's definitely something clashing with notownieregen then - I think you're going to have to do the 50/50 to find whatever it is. PITA for clashing hacks. I'd suggest first taking everything out except notownieregen and testing to make sure it does work on its own. Then you'll have to put stuff back in halves or batches till you can reproduce the problem. Something very odd is going on there.

My thinking here was that if you did have both, that might be the source of the problem but, again, it's not so....

Okay thank you so much for all your help! :lovestruc
Ill report back here if I found whats clashing with notownieregen.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 1:16 AM
I would make a new sims 2 folders with just notownieregen in it, play and see if townies generate.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 5:53 AM
Okay so I figured out my issue, it turns out it was just the templates. I changed Jawusa's templates to the ones from MATY and it worked well.
I'm not sure if its because there are still templates he didn't do or not, but anyways I'm glad my issue is fixed.
Thanks so much Maxon & Jo for the help!
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 3rd Jan 2020 at 1:36 PM
So if you have someone in an apartment, it'll create townies for every lot? Because they're appearing on a non apartment lot.