Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jul 2018 at 11:31 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Tried everything, Sims 2 Ultimate Collection has been crashing for 3 days now.
I'm at my wits end. My game first crashed 3 days ago with the error message "Application has crashed. Application will now terminate."
It was seemingly random, I'd been playing on one particular family for a couple of hours and I lost all my progress (frustrating, but a reminder to save more often!). I figured it was a one-off so I created new sims (no crashes during that process) and continued to play. Frequent crashes.

I started scouring forums looking for answers and fixes and began to make my way through each tip and trick. Last night I managed to play for about an hour without any crashing and thought it was solved but the problem reoccured and has continued to do so.

The really strange thing is that after applying the 4GB Patch I left the game running while I went to work - I didn't have time to test it properly so thought I'd just see whether it was still working when I got home. Lo and behold, 7 hours later I find the game still running (with my Sims doing a terrible job of surviving on their own) without crashing... UNTIL... I actually started playing properly and it crashed again.

I've followed every step on the "How to Stop Sims 2 Crashing" thread/video. I've disabled custom content (is that enough or do I have to actually remove it from my PC? I did delete some of the most recently downloaded but that CC was from 5 days before the game crashed) and I've deleted cache files. Honestly can't remember what else I've tried at this point.

Will I lose everything if I reinstall the game? Is that my only option now?

System Details:

Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 12:11 AM
Uninstalling is the last option and you are a long way before that, That will only help if your install is corrupted if it isn't you are giving yourself work for nothing.

Disabling CC is not the same. Don't remove it from your PC! Just cut and paste it from your game to your desktop.
Make a back up first!

So you have the 4gb patch? Go to Documents>The Sims 2>Logs. Open that and check the file config-log.txt That needs to read memory and free memory as 4096MB Also you need to see your graphics card listed in there.

Do you have the Graphics Rules done?

Do you have standby memory done?

Are you on disks or UC?

Are you on a Radeon graphic card?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 12:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Uninstalling is the last option and you are a long way before that, That will only help if your install is corrupted if it isn't you are giving yourself work for nothing.

Disabling CC is not the same. Don't remove it from your PC! Just cut and paste it from your game to your desktop.
Make a back up first!

So you have the 4gb patch? Go to Documents>The Sims 2>Logs. Open that and check the file config-log.txt That needs to read memory and free memory as 4096MB Also you need to see your graphics card listed in there.

Do you have the Graphics Rules done?

Do you have standby memory done?

Are you on disks or UC?

Are you on a Radeon graphic card?

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes I have the 4GB patch, the log reads 4096MB and I've done the standby memory thing. My graphics card is Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 6100 and is listed in the log.
I have Graphics Rules-INTEL-MissingTexture.rar if that's the one you're referring to.
I'm playing the Ultimate Collection.

So this is unexpected and may not mean anything but I was looking for other issues on my computer (as all this led me to things about the cpu and disk usage etc) and ended up running the troubleshooter for windows updates despite windows saying it was fully updated. It gave me an 'error detected' but wouldn't fix until I ran command prompt and did sfc/scannow... it said it found a corrupt update file and fixed it. I restarted my laptop in the hopes that this would be the magical solution to all my problems but somehow my game file could no longer open/be found (???) and had to be redownloaded from Origin (not actually reinstalled though). About to test the game now.
I'm totally baffled, never encountered anything like this in all my years of playing TS2 UC!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 1:06 AM
Update: Still crashing!!!
I have work in the morning so no time to tweak anything else now, I'm sure I'll be back tomorrow evening.
Test Subject
#5 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 1:09 AM
Has anyone converted from windows to Linux? My computer is Win 7, 64bit, Gforce GT 730 graphics card, 8gig. My son is a programer in Linux and wants me to convert running a compatibility for windows. I too am having a lot of problems caused by windows.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#6 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 2:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dnsouthldy
Has anyone converted from windows to Linux? My computer is Win 7, 64bit, Gforce GT 730 graphics card, 8gig. My son is a programer in Linux and wants me to convert running a compatibility for windows. I too am having a lot of problems caused by windows.

The game still needs windows to run, you would just be running virtually. You'd be using far more resources running two operating systems than you are now.
Test Subject
#7 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 5:52 PM
Default Linux
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
The game still needs windows to run, you would just be running virtually. You'd be using far more resources running two operating systems than you are now.

Thank you so much. I was afraid of that.
Undead Molten Llama
#8 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 6:05 PM
Actually, a person I follow on Tumblr ran TS2 under Linux with no Windows on her machine. (She had ragequit Windows, at the time. ) So, it worked, sort of, but as I recall not well. I think TS3 worked better under Linux. I'm pretty sure she went back to Windows, but if you want to ask her about the experience and what she did to get it running, here's her Tumblr: http://acquiresimoleons.tumblr.com/

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 12:07 AM Last edited by rhizlebubs : 30th Jul 2018 at 12:25 AM.
My game still isn't fixed.
Up until a minute ago I thought it was because I've been playing for 3 hours and not a single crash. I finally removed all my CC so I thought that was the cause of the issue... and then right at the end when I saved and clicked exit, I got the 'application will now terminate' error.

Also, before all the 'solves' I've tried my game was running smoothly despite the crashes, now it's taking longer to load and is quite laggy especially in build/buy mode.

Any ideas?

Edit: so from looking at the app details on my laptop I just noticed that the date origin updated is the same day my game started crashing...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th Aug 2018 at 6:55 PM
P.s. Still crashing occasionally.

Only seems to happen during play mode, build and buy is fine.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 27th Aug 2018 at 4:38 AM
Are you having long play sessions without saving? Sometimes that will make it crash.
Scholar
#12 Old 27th Aug 2018 at 1:24 PM Last edited by ElaineNualla : 27th Aug 2018 at 1:48 PM.
I'd suggest to use 'Repair' option in Origin, it take some time but primary files shall be reverted to theirs original state.

Unfortunatelly you need to play with 4GB patch and graphicsrules (and scriptorium, lightning, stairs, custom version of default neighb. etc.) once again but it seems that it will be much more comfortable and easier solution than messing around randomly trying peeking what was gone to hell in this particular case.

Or at last restore backup executable created while applying 4GB patch and try again.

I have not so much experience with game running in long sessions (like: a week), though I left many times TS3 running with minimize/sleep/restore when time to play routine for days and had no bad experience with putting the machine into sleep mode while game (TS2) was running, even if it wasn't minimized. Thought it will vary for machine/system/configuration.

"repairing" with sfc/scannow does nothing useful for common user* with files which are not in essential Windows database (these should be restored from Windows' own hidden backup while machine runs system boot if things are not completely broken). Other files are restored as possible in raw data format, often shredded beyond repair. A toy for programmers, not really useful for average user. Sometimes if these are just documents (like images or text) they're repairable, otherwise (libraries, executables) it's not worth time spent.

*though it's not mean that it's useless, disc journal will be cleaned, bad entries corrected, data cohesion restored, just do not expect miraculus restoration of actually broken particular files.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
#13 Old 27th Aug 2018 at 1:43 PM
Some cc and registry cleaners may delete some of the files your game needs to run - I think, though, that the game won't start at all.

Turn off background programs you do not use or need while playing, like One Drive.

The Origin update will not make your game crash - the last one simply made it work better with Windows 10 (I have seen some cc objects appear in buy mode which refused to show up before the update).

I use the UC on windows 10 and rarely encounter crashing - make very sure about your CC. I have only had crashes due to CC - sometimes also due to my own stupidity, like having the same outfit with and without smooth hands in my game or a hair with the original and the fixed mesh.

I am not sure if the cc is back in your game, but I would suggest removing all cc and add them back in very small parts - eg. one folder before a play session. It is worth trying. It will crash as soon as you add the problem.

Also make sure that all your mods, where applicable, are updated for AL.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 31st Aug 2018 at 7:21 AM
So this isn't going to help rhizlebubs, but applying the 4GB patch seems to fixed crashes in my game, for how much I played last night. So I guess the silver lining here is that your thread helped me if nothing else, so thanks! Too bad I can't help you with your crashes

WowoW it's a badly hidden owo UwU Yeet skeet Idk what I'm doing