Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Aug 2019 at 12:01 PM
Default Adding Vectors to Morph Meshes?
From my research and experiments so far, I haven't been able to find anything that works. I'm worried that it just isn't possible but I don't want to believe it. :c If anyone knows how to add or delete vectors to a morph mesh without their mesh exploding, please tell me your secrets.

I have a small item that I want to add to the skin of a character's face. It's small enough that I could make it an accessory instead but I don't like that idea since it will probably involve a lot of texture work that I don't have the patience for. Plus, it just feels better to have it part of the skin rather than something like a hat.

Here are the things I tried --> what happened:
  • Made a Dmap using the original body mesh and my edited body mesh --> the vectors didn't match and the program wouldn't continue.
  • Made a Dmap using a variation that hid my edits in the head of a 'regular' body mesh and my edited body mesh --> got "original and morph mesh faces do not match" since I didn't rearrange the layers correctly so that my additions were after anything originally there. (see in image)
  • Made another version of my meshes with the correct layer order --> got "index out of bounds of array"
  • Made a BGEO using just the face of a hidden edit and my visible edit --> got "index out of bounds of array"
  • Futzed around with a bunch of things and realized I missed one of the boxes in Blender for exporting. Now have: Apply Modifiers, Include Edges, Write Normals, Include UVs, Write Materials, Objects as OBJ Objects, Objects as OBJ Groups, and Keep Vertex Order --> still getting "index out of bounds of array" error
  • Continued to throw my meshes at morph maker. After a few restarts, it decides that it no longer has an "index out of bounds of array" error --> I think it was angry with me because now I just get monsters o.O
Screenshots
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 14th Aug 2019 at 4:31 PM
I assume by 'add vectors' you mean add vertices? No, you can't do that in a morph.

The only way this would work is if you make a morph using your mesh as base and your modified mesh as the morph. Both would have to be one mesh, not layers - either the combined head and extra part or just the part. Then you'd have to replace the default EA head with your own which includes the part in the base position. As in making any morph, the ONLY things you can change are vertex positions and normals. Keep in mind that morphs are strictly deltas - they tell vertices in what direction and how much to move. They don't create vertices or add detail.

If you try a DMap, you'd have to put the uv1 of your additional part in an unused part of the standard head/body uv1 map so it won't distort the rest of the head or body.

If you try a BGEO, the vertices are identified by vertex ID so you'd have to number your additional part with vertex IDs without changing or duplicating the IDs of the EA head.

All that said, I've done this myself using a BGEO by making the extra part as a separate mesh, giving the vertices IDs in an unused number range, making a morph of that mesh, and making the BGEO. That was for a body part so this method works with bodies as well as heads, and using a BGEO in this way ensures it won't conflict with other body morphs while it can still be uv1-mapped to a spot where it'll move with the standard body sliders. (For a face part, it may not be possible to make it move with all the standard face sliders.)

It's not a simple thing to do. If you go ahead I'd be happy to help with more info and troubleshooting.

PS, if for this particular project all you need is for this part (Bajoran nose ridges?) to appear for certain sims, you might be better off with an accessory. It might be possible to give it a single vertex ID matching the closest face vert ID to make it move correctly with the face morphs.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4