Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Mar 2010 at 5:39 PM
Default Changing Buy/Build/CAS music. Is it possible? Can it be done?
I actually prefer the S2 music. Is it possible to replace the S3 music with S2 or any other mp3 files I want?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 23rd Mar 2010 at 6:28 PM
Currently not really. Sims 3 music uses a rather rare and cryptic format, which isn't easy to en- or decode. Someone probably managed already, but there is no public tool I heard of. And you can't add mp3 files for obvious reasons.

I hope they add some playlist managing feature with the next EP or patch.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Mar 2010 at 9:39 PM Last edited by Jeffs0418 : 23rd Mar 2010 at 9:41 PM. Reason: add text
Quote: Originally posted by jonha
I hope they add some playlist managing feature with the next EP or patch.

So do I. I can't possibly be the only one who gets bored with the same (frustratingly unchangeable) thing over and over...

And yes I know I can silence it but I find that boring too.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 9th Apr 2010 at 3:11 PM
I have researched this and this is what I have found:

The filetypes or sounds in the game are .audtun , .snr , and .sns .
At this time it is possible to replace the sounds (and music) with other sounds (and music) already in the game.
If there is a way to convert .audtun , .snr , and .sns into .mp3 or vice versa then yes this is very possible.
It is my belief that the items you place in the custom music folder are either read as .mp3's or converted to one of the aforementioned filetypes in order to be read by the game.
If the files are read as .mp3's then it is very possible a core mod could tell the game to instead of look at fullbuild1.package for audio to look at the custom music folder for all sounds/music.
If the files are converted and then read by the game it is possible that while the game is running, you could find one of these converted files and make a copy of it.
At this point you could import the converted file into s3pe.

Looking in to it further...
Field Researcher
#5 Old 9th Apr 2010 at 4:41 PM
If you delete the default contents of the custom music folder and leave it empty, the game repopulates it with the same tracks. This suggests that the game must store those files somewhere in its native format. If we could find those, perhaps that would provide a jumping-off point for designing a converter. (Sorry if someone has already observed this, or I'm stating something useless and obvious...)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 11:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lytefoot
If you delete the default contents of the custom music folder and leave it empty, the game repopulates it with the same tracks.

In The Sims 3 installation in GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\CustomMusic folder you find these same mp3 tunes that are in the MyDocuments area. So if you delete all the Custom Music tunes and don't add your own, the game repopulates from the installation folder instead of leaving the MyDocs\Custom Music folder empty.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 3:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
In The Sims 3 installation in GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\CustomMusic folder you find these same mp3 tunes that are in the MyDocuments area. So if you delete all the Custom Music tunes and don't add your own, the game repopulates from the installation folder instead of leaving the MyDocs\Custom Music folder empty.

The contents in the installation folder for me are the default songs (The Other Side, I Love L.A., etc.) while I have a different song in my docs custom music folder, the only song that plays. This leads me to believe that the installation folder music plays when your my docs custom music folder is empty.
Test Subject
#8 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 4:30 AM
I want my REAL Ghostbusters music.....:)
I hope someone is still working on this and eventually has a epiphany because I just decided to try the Ghost Hunter career in Ambitions and it is fairly obvious most of the content, i.e. uniform, music while pursuing the career, jobs, etc. is a ripoff from Ghostbusters. I REALLY wish they would have just gotten licensing from Ghostbusters to make it match. Cheap ass EA.

In any case the major thing I REALLY want to change in the game is the background/situational music that plays when you go do a job. The SECOND I heard it, it made me think of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyLA-AdJuKc

There is a mellower version of that music played in the movie itself that I would LOVE to have as background music as I am doing my Ghostbusting!! Heh. But it seems as easy as EA made it to put in custom .mp3's to play from the stereo's they REALLY dident want anyone doing ANYTHING to any of the other in game music apparently
Test Subject
#9 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 11:17 PM
Any thing new on this subject? I just downloaded all the music from the Sims 2 and I am really hoping I can replace the music soon!
Test Subject
#10 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 8:26 PM
here in 2019 still wondering if anyone found a way to change it....
Mad Poster
#11 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 8:36 PM
Yeah it can be done.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Test Subject
#12 Old 8th May 2020 at 3:43 AM
Default Where?
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
Yeah it can be done.

I've seen people mod the loading screens and even change the music to TS2 but did you find tools to change it or a mod? If so can you link it?
Mad Poster
#13 Old 9th May 2020 at 3:36 AM
Hey @TruMaxBlu, I would ask @mypantsfelldown or @nitromon, as they were able to do make a music replacement mods.