Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 8636 (Who?), Viewed: 369990 times.
Page 346 of 346
Field Researcher
#8626 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 5:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeservedCriticism
My biggest beef with Sims 4's art style is how they don't bother to tone down the expressions. I mean it's not an exaggeration: Sims can smile so hard the corners of their mouths clip through their eyeballs. I've honestly never made an asian sim either just because it severely heightens the chances of their lower eyelids clipping through their upper eyelids when they're happy. It's definitely a glitch, too. Some days you load the game and it's fine, others you get results like that. They're not gonna do anything about it though, despite being the self-proclaimed "hardest-working team in the industry."


That's a minor thing to me. I could get over some poorly done animations. What I hate about TS4's art style is that its graphics are so bad they do it a disservice.

Heck, The Sims Freeplay does grass better than TS4. I'm not joking:



Now, The Sims 4 can look acceptable at times, but when you zoom in the poor quality of its graphics becomes distracting. It feels like I'm playing a PS2-era game.

Theorist
#8627 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 7:18 PM
That's mostly why sims 4 goes for modern style items. It's easy to draw a straight line of one pixel on a low resolution texture and have it look like a line that has'nt lost quality because of the low res. Imagine all the sims 3 style furniture with sims 4 texture quality... not nice.

I don't have problems with how outfits and most of the items in the game look, they have specific artstyle which allows devs to go for optimisation of the graphics while still having the game in the confines of the defined artstyle that does not make the game look neccessarily bad. Problem comes from the grass and sims skin textures... they are, most simply said, blobs... almost solids with no real shading/detail on them. It annoys the hell out of me and makes the game look washed out.

And normal and bump maps are compressed, just like in sims 3 but they have way more artefacts and jagged edges for some reason (probably because of the low resolution).

Bottom line... problem is not with the graphics, problem is with 'maxis' not wanting to let go of their low resolution textures because their engine is probably not designed to have multiple textures of resolutions over and including 1k pixels loaded in the scene. Few? Possibly... more than thalf of the lot?... deffinitelly not. Especially when they gotta texture all those props in the world. SOOO MANY PROOOOOPS.
Scholar
#8628 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 7:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naus Allien
That's a minor thing to me. I could get over some poorly done animations. What I hate about TS4's art style is that its graphics are so bad they do it a disservice.


This is making me so sad. I remember at the beginning, you'd look around and go "ahmagad this is so pretty" (or perhaps it was only me...) and I don't notice the graphics that much nowadays but now that you're showing those screenshots you can really see how "ugly" the game can be.
Instructor
#8629 Old 2nd Dec 2018 at 2:06 AM
My sims smashed a guitar when preforming a scene and now it is not done
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8630 Old 2nd Dec 2018 at 5:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chax
This is making me so sad. I remember at the beginning, you'd look around and go "ahmagad this is so pretty" (or perhaps it was only me...) and I don't notice the graphics that much nowadays but now that you're showing those screenshots you can really see how "ugly" the game can be.


They were low fidelity then and low fidelity now.

To be honest, the texture quality is decent, but the detail in those texture is very low. Even without bump maps, or even specular maps, a lot of detail can be packed into textures - yet, none really does.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Instructor
#8631 Old 2nd Dec 2018 at 7:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix54
They were low fidelity then and low fidelity now.

To be honest, the texture quality is decent, but the detail in those texture is very low. Even without bump maps, or even specular maps, a lot of detail can be packed into textures - yet, none really does.


Personally what is clear to me is that Maxis is given a very low yearly budget for the game. It explains why they have so much depth and detail in some parts, but oversights in other parts. It also explains why years like this year with the most in depth EPs have had less stuffpacks and gamepacks to bolster the year. The team is forced to choose what to prioritize, and frankly textures aren't as important as gameplay... Especially with how obvious it was that the game was forced out before it was ready. So they have to keep making DLC and fixing the base game on a small budget. I'm not gonna say the game is perfect but I admire how much they have actually done with it since it's disastrous launch, and for me at least, at this point it's a lot of fun, and the artistic creativity overshadows the low graphical fidelity, so it could look like Minecraft without resource packs for all I care.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8632 Old 2nd Dec 2018 at 7:24 AM
If their budget is so small, they should focus on quality, not quantity. Doing more with less is always best.

However, charging more for less is not.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Instructor
#8633 Old 2nd Dec 2018 at 7:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix54
If their budget is so small, they should focus on quality, not quantity. Doing more with less is always best.

However, charging more for less is not.


Well EA expects their due. And back when they were doing smaller less gamechanging expansions like Get Together and City Living people were complaining about that... And this game has quality. The quality is just focused on the game over the graphics... WHich is a lot better than 3's design philosophy imho, where we got some beautifully detailed objects but pretty shallow samey gameplay all things accounted for.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#8634 Old 2nd Dec 2018 at 9:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chax
This is making me so sad. I remember at the beginning, you'd look around and go "ahmagad this is so pretty" (or perhaps it was only me...) and I don't notice the graphics that much nowadays but now that you're showing those screenshots you can really see how "ugly" the game can be.


Not for me. I remember the very *first* screenshots we got from TS4 and my mouth dropped open and I thought "dear God no..." And lots of other people were saying "what's with the huge letterbox, why is everything too big looking for the people?" and others were saying "maybe it's just an early build and they haven't finished the graphics". While a couple of knowledgeable sounding voices proclaimed "oh, that's Painterly Style" as if somehow that made it look better.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Alchemist
#8635 Old 2nd Dec 2018 at 2:33 PM
Not until they devote their time invested for a My First Pedigree Stick Sweat Treats (stuff pack) to honor their collaboration.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Scholar
#8636 Old 2nd Dec 2018 at 3:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inge Jones
Not for me. I remember the very *first* screenshots we got from TS4 and my mouth dropped open and I thought "dear God no..." And lots of other people were saying "what's with the huge letterbox, why is everything too big looking for the people?" and others were saying "maybe it's just an early build and they haven't finished the graphics". While a couple of knowledgeable sounding voices proclaimed "oh, that's Painterly Style" as if somehow that made it look better.


Thank you for the info. All I remember (I have bad memory) is some people complained about the cartoony graphics - but I wasn't really using MTS at that time and I've never really been on other forums so...
Alchemist
#8637 Old 2nd Dec 2018 at 3:50 PM
If EA is going to steal ideas from dog food companies, the least the could do is man up and follow Pedigrees' foot steps. Do something right for a change.

All profits for the Dogs: Get Dentures Stuff Pack should be donated to animal shelters. Andrew Wilson doesn't earn his 28 million dollar bonuses that he gives himself and there is no reason for him to skim off the top of this pack.
Page 346 of 346
Back to top