Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Mar 2015 at 5:28 AM
Default CAS Part- the making of a new Mermaid Tail with evil sims in mind
Hey friends, so after fan girling over Crowkeepers new mermaid colony lots, I have been pretty much obsessed with getting a cool mermaid colony going. After much playtime, I wanted to make something more evil than the pretty mermaids, though I will be doing a variety of mermaid tails (ethereal, pufferfish, clownfish shaped,orca, fantasy, etc, along with accessories like different fin addons), I first have to start with my very first tail, so it is evil.

I was inspired my a movie called Killer Mermaid, the mesh so far Im happy with, once I figure out how to actually get this thing in my game, if it looks poopy I will tweak the mesh as needed.

Some of you may remember me from Sims 2 and my Sailor Moon and other fantasy creations, so hopefully I can figure out how to get my CC into Sims 3 Please wish me luck as Im basically a beginner. I have done some mesh edits and pet recolors and have partnered up with Birdyfly on our website that brought the Pegasus wings and other things to Sims 3. Birdyfly was my partner in getting the things I made into the game and I am now flying solo so Im still trying to figure it all out.

I have read extensively, but the actual doing and dealing with the various programs has been daunting in the Sims 3 making of CC. So far lately Ive been using TSRW but I know it has limitations. I tried CTU way back when and got very confuzzled and gave up, eventually seeking out a partner, but that was then and Im determined to "get it" this time around.

Ive been agonizing over why I cant get it to all work right, so thats why Im here, to show you guys my progress and if I have any issues that I can ask for help with if I cant find it in a tutorial. Once I get this figured out, I will be doing requests for mertails and other accessories.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 25th Mar 2015 at 11:08 AM
As much as I would love to give any qualified feedback, I can't, since I know absolutely nothing about meshing etc.. However, I know what I like, and I really like that tail
I'm looking very much forward to following this
Field Researcher
#3 Old 25th Mar 2015 at 11:58 AM
I also know nothing about what you're doing know - but the tail is very nice!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 25th Mar 2015 at 12:05 PM
Thanks! Well, I followed as many tuts as I could find with pics and stuff and something isnt right. Who knows what it is as Im not getting any errors with the programs just that when I place my sims3package in my game, it will crash the game "game has stopped working" when I select the bottoms category in CAS.

I double checked to make sure bones were assigned with the meshtoolkit and it said bone assignments were fine, the mesh is a bit high poly around 7k on max, I haev 16gb of ram and can handle it. No idea if its just hating the 7k mesh or another issue, its beyond my understanding ><

Here it is in TSRW, I was able to get it made into a sims3pack.I have a feeling it could be something small holding me up, if its something big, like with the mesh itself, I can always fix it but dont know what it "needs".
#5 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 5:48 AM
I love it! It's got spikes!
Instructor
#6 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 6:48 PM
WOW! It looks beautiful. I really love the shape and the spikes I hope that you will let me take some photos of sims with your tail on for my next house

BTW: I searched for the killer mermaid movie and saw that the original name is Mamula which is actually my surname:D:D:D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 1:43 AM
Definitely Crowkeeper! I was so inspired by your works so its only fair you can use my stuff too

If only I can figure this out, I am not getting any errors in tsrw and checking stuff with meshtoolkit says bones are ok, so I may have to shelve this particular tail for now and try a more basic approach. Perhaps by doing some small edits, like just adding spikes and not messing around with the tail shape itself, I can stumble upon the problem with the big mesh tail and can go back to it eventually. :/

Without something giving me an error message, I really have no clue what to fix. I can load up the game and go into cas, but when I select the bottoms tab and it starts loading, once it gets to this tail, the game crashes. Error says "The Sims 3 has stopped working , contact microsoft to look for a solution," etc. I know its the tail, but dont know why ><
Test Subject
#8 Old 28th Apr 2015 at 8:34 PM
Hi, so I was wondering if you knew of anywhere I could find an adult mermaid tail you can wear outside of water? If you don't know, it's all good, but I've been looking everywhere and I keep hitting dead ends.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 29th Apr 2015 at 4:50 AM
Creepy as hell. Good one!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 1:58 AM
I dont know neuro, there are mods that will allow you to set the tail as clothing and you walk around with it, you wont hop, and the texture will stretch at the feet area. Doesnt look too terrible to me though. Easiest thing is to get the custom tails that are available and use twallans mod to set it as your regular clothing.

I havent been able to figure this tail out so will be starting over. I am starting a new job soon so am unsure when I will attempt this again, will update when I do. :3 Id be happy to share the mesh with someone who is interested in this project and is more experienced with troubleshooting, just let me know.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 7:00 PM
Ah, it looks so nice! It's a pity that it's being troublesome, this would've been a nice alternative for mermaids. I hope you pick it up asap and try to figure out the problem or get help from a friendly soul, I like where your idea is headed towards!