Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 2:25 AM
Default Babies born with untownified skins
I geneticize all my skins. I usually townify particular sets of skins I really like, and don't townify the ones I like but don't want to see randomly showing up in sims (freckled ones, etc).

The problem is, two townified skinned sims have untownified skinned babies. I think it's because the game doesn't care if the skin is townified or not while selecting skins for born in game babies. As long as the skin is within the genetic number range of the parents, it can be selected.

Thus I end up with freckled skinned babies from two unfreckled parents Is there a way to keep geneticized, untownified skins from showing up in babies? I'm sick of changing their skins with simpe.
Advertisement
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 4:50 PM
Either call them recessive freckle genes, or don't geneticize the ones you don't want showing up. Unfortunately, you can't prevent them if they are geneticized, that's exactly what it means: if it's geneticized, then it can be selected for babies. Townifiying doesn't really do much good after your townies have been created, unless you are constantly creating new townies.

You also do not have to stay within the 0-1 range for your skintones. I included a selection of Enayla's fantasy skins for my medieval hood and placed them in the 1-2 range. Admittedly, I haven't played that hood enough to see any new 'real' babies, but I did testing on it and it seemed to work. I had found a tutorial somewhere that said it was possible, so I gave it a shot.

Another thing you can do is restrict those freckled or whatever skintones to certain colors of eyes or hair. That way, the baby will be born with the skin you were trying to hide only if certain other conditions are met. That method is a bit trickier, and sometimes only works if you coorelate a set of skins. (If you choose to correlate to hair, then four skins one for each hair color.) I didn't test it out with eye color, but maybe that one is a bit less finicky.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 9:33 PM
Thank you so much for telling me that, I never thought of assigning 1-2 values! I guess I would go from dark to light instead of light to dark with set 2, so a dark skinned sim from set 1 and a light skinned sim from set 2 wouldn't have babies with lighter or darker skins than the parents.

Assigning them to hair and eye color is a bit too complicated for me, and as long as the first method works I don't think it'll be needed. Thanks anyway
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#4 Old 11th Jun 2015 at 9:58 PM
You have to be careful about extending the range though, if you have a dark skinned dad with 'normal' skin, and a dark skinned mom with 'special' skin, (being on the opposite ends of your new spectrum) they will end up with super pale skinned kids, because the game is just pulling a number that is between. If you do the opposite and go from light to dark to light, the same problem would happen with two light skins from opposite sides. You will just have to gauge how many 'special' skins you have and if they are more typically light or dark and rework your numbers to suit that. Good luck!

edit: OR, rework ALL your skin numbers to put 'special' skins on both ends and have your normal range from .5 to 1.5. It really all depends on what skins you are working with and where you feel they should be genetically.