Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

New Creator Theme: Elders! - posted on 1st Sep 2018 at 11:43 AM
Replies: 637 (Who?), Viewed: 51559 times.
Page 26 of 26
Test Subject
#626 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 12:27 PM
I had to restart my entire game because I got a new laptop, and now I have a new dilemma - this time in Pleasantview.
After Don happily married Cassandra (Surprise!), just because "why not", Dina - now an infallibly good witch, somehow - married Mortimer and thus moved in. Next, Casandra had twins, so now the household consists of 7 sims: Cassandra, Dina, Mortimer, Don, Alexander, and the baby twins Sandra and Donna.
Now here's the thing: Dina is pregnant, however, she can still take the morning after pill (and terminate it). With Mortimer dying soon, and Alexander moving to college later, should she have the baby, or should she take the morning after pill?
Field Researcher
#627 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugoisama
I had to restart my entire game because I got a new laptop, and now I have a new dilemma - this time in Pleasantview.
After Don happily married Cassandra (Surprise!), just because "why not", Dina - now an infallibly good witch, somehow - married Mortimer and thus moved in. Next, Casandra had twins, so now the household consists of 7 sims: Cassandra, Dina, Mortimer, Don, Alexander, and the baby twins Sandra and Donna.
Now here's the thing: Dina is pregnant, however, she can still take the morning after pill (and terminate it). With Mortimer dying soon, and Alexander moving to college later, should she have the baby, or should she take the morning after pill?

She should keep it, I think, in her mind, it'd be a way to secure a good inheritance from Mortimer. He's too good of a guy to leave his child with no money.
Alchemist
#628 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 12:54 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 4th Sep 2018 at 1:15 PM.
I have a household of seven college kids and I don't know what major they should pick and, most importantly, how that would determine their path in life considering I won't be giving them the typical jobs that happen off-screen. A bunch of them are sports or fitness enthusiasm (lol, dunno how I can revolutionize the world with such proceeding generation). I would give more details about each of these individual, but I don't really remember well their interest, personality, ltw etc.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#629 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 1:56 PM
I'd wait till they roll wants for a major. Most sims will do that. Those who don't, will automatically be slotted into Philosophy at start of Junior year.

Major doesn't determine your path in life, even in real life. I worked for a real estate appraiser whose degree was in biology once.

The majors encourage sims to gain a well-rounded skill set with emphasis on certain skills depending on the promotion requirements for certain related careers, so if you want to use them strategically in a situation in which you're not using careers, look into the point spreads required for filling up the grade bar. Since skilling is faster on a University lot, it might be a good idea to give sims a major in something that demands a focus on skills they'd be unlikely to get on their own. For instance, a fitness nut who doesn't like to sit still might be well-advised to take a major with low body requirements and high charisma or mechanical requirements, since those are hard to get without standing/sitting still. Alternatively, if you want a sim to get good grades with minimal directed skilling so you can focus on other things, choose a major with high demands in a skill that's easy to get autonomously (i.e. logic and creativity, since those have fun objects attached to them) or that they're already high in, and don't worry about it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#630 Old 5th Sep 2018 at 4:03 AM
@SneakyWingPhoenix, As Peni suggested, first I would wait and see if anyone rolls a want for major. If some are stubborn and refuse to pick, rather than let them all be philosophers, I pick a major that first has the skills I want them to learn, then fits with their aspiration and personality (you could use interests here, too, I just never look at them). When looking at skills, if you won't be giving Maxis jobs, look at what you will have them do and pick skills that align with that. Anyone going to be a cook or homemaker? Cooking, cleaning and mechanical are good skills for them, then pick from majors that match those skills. You can do the same for any vocation-doctor, gardener, lawyer, etc.

As for how to determine their path in life, well, when I'm really desperate, I break out my list and roll. So I'd do that at least--write down all the options so you know what's available/what you'd like to, or can, do. If your sims don't show a leaning towards a particular path, introduce a little randomness and tradition/inheritance. For example, in my bacc hood, I would note who the heirs are first--they are usually going to follow in their parent's footsteps and train to take over that vocation, be it farmer, mayor, craftsman, architect, etc. etc. In case of families like farmers, one or two spares might also train for the same role, in case someone died, or because I was going to have them stay at home and help out around the house. Farming families always need extra hands to garden, or spares can help raise kids, keep the house tidy, and mind shops, etc. After all that, I might have a chance a sim gets drafted into the military, or law enforcement, or the medical field, depending on what's going on in the hood. Some of these sims might go to college, in which case they would pick majors to help them fulfill these roles, or majors that have skills requirements that would be useful in their field.

...Does that help a bit?

"Enjoy the moment with all your might, whether it’s gloomy, whether it’s bright!"
Also known as Kelyns but you can call me KB.
Bored? Read the legacy I'll probably never finish.
Alchemist
#631 Old 5th Sep 2018 at 11:09 AM
Yeah, both of your advices. Thank you.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Forum Resident
#632 Old 8th Sep 2018 at 5:18 AM
Super-fertile Roxie Sharpe has done it again - except that this is a new neighbourhood, with Inteen, making her my first pregnant college Sim! She needs some help figuring out what to do. She's definitely having the baby, but should she have it adopted, drop out of school before it's born, or try to raise the baby and work for her degree at the same time?

Putting it up for adoption would be the easiest thing, but she's not sure how she feels about never seeing it again.

If she drops out of school, she'll get a $13,000 'refund' of the fees she theoretically paid, so she'll be able to find a place to live, but she'll probably lose Jonah - he's more likely to stay on and 'enjoy the college experience' (read 'sleep around') than to drop out and face up to his responsibilities.

But trying to raise the baby at school . . . She'd need to take over Edwin's room, which she'd feel bad about, and then there's the matter of the baby either aging too fast and being in college with its mother, or aging very slowly (can I turn aging off on campus, where there's no aging anyway?) and dropping behind its friends in school. Also, she's heard some college mums have trouble getting their children off campus after graduation - is that true? And if she tries to stay on but can't cope, her fee refund will be much smaller later on, making it harder for her to find a decent place to live.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#633 Old 8th Sep 2018 at 5:37 AM
She might like to take a look at this. Particularly the uni-aging mod.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

My memory is poor, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives | Check out my website!
Forum Resident
#634 Old 9th Sep 2018 at 1:08 AM
Thanks, Bulbi. They all seem to be incompatible with Inteen, though, so I'll just have to see what Inteen does in terms of aging up babies on campus.

It probably won't be with Roxie, though. After sleeping on it, and getting a fairly poor grade for the semester, and seeing how much work she'd have to do to get a good grade next semester, she's decided to try and scrape through one more semester, just to complete her 'diploma' (I consider Sims who complete their sophomore year to have a two-year diploma, which lets them get higher up the career ladder), then drop out. Her pregnancy is suspended, to make it a more realistic two semesters long, so she'll be moving out just before she gives birth. She's thinking that if she can get Jonah to drop out with her at the end of their sophomore year, they'll get a decent fee refund at a time when they really need the money. But she does, of course, reserve the right to change her mind.
Field Researcher
#635 Old 9th Sep 2018 at 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAlien
Thanks, Bulbi. They all seem to be incompatible with Inteen, though, so I'll just have to see what Inteen does in terms of aging up babies on campus.

It probably won't be with Roxie, though. After sleeping on it, and getting a fairly poor grade for the semester, and seeing how much work she'd have to do to get a good grade next semester, she's decided to try and scrape through one more semester, just to complete her 'diploma' (I consider Sims who complete their sophomore year to have a two-year diploma, which lets them get higher up the career ladder), then drop out. Her pregnancy is suspended, to make it a more realistic two semesters long, so she'll be moving out just before she gives birth. She's thinking that if she can get Jonah to drop out with her at the end of their sophomore year, they'll get a decent fee refund at a time when they really need the money. But she does, of course, reserve the right to change her mind.

Funnily enough, my Roxie is also pregnant and dropped out! (Though, I was graduating everyone anyway because I wanted them to be adults in my hood)
Jonah dropped out as well, but they live in a trailer together. Jonah isn't as enthusiastic about the baby as Roxie is, that's for sure. I'm planning that maybe she catches him cheating and finds a more reliable man who can take on both her and baby.

You can call me Diddy :)
My Simblr (shared with a friend) is TwoSimmingFreaks - there's not much on there yet, but there will be soon :D
Mad Poster
#636 Old 9th Sep 2018 at 2:10 PM
Toddler beds don't work in my game - there is just no interactions available on them - I don't have all that many mods. Anyone has any ideas?
Mad Poster
#637 Old 9th Sep 2018 at 2:25 PM
Nope. I'm afraid shortcutting the 50/50 isn't likely to be an option. But if you don't have many mods, it shouldn't take too long to narrow down.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#638 Old 9th Sep 2018 at 3:02 PM
I started a new hood with only 6 families and I have three sets of twins already - I want to try to get by without nannies in this hood. So I thought I would try the toddler beds and hoped it was just me doing something stupid - toddler mats also don't work. And apologies - I realised I posted on the wrong thread.
Page 26 of 26