Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 4:36 PM Last edited by Tusnelda7 : 19th Jun 2017 at 10:01 AM.
Sims won't pick up or put toddlers down only in my world? Routing errors
Hey guys!

I recently completed my world and while people were testing, they realized that adult sims would only pick up or put down toddlers in one specific area, often somewhere where toddlers cannot go. If I ask the adult to put a toddler down inside the house or somewhere else in the garden, they walk all the way to their special spot and do it. If I ask them to pick the toddler up, they walk to their special spot and the toddler often just gets stuck at some stairs. I made a little video to show you guys:

https://youtu.be/NeUzEY70AgY

As you can see from the above video, my issue is that areas in my lots look to be unroutable and the adult sim picks one weird spot the pick up and put down the toddler.

Some further things I have noticed:
• If I close the area in with rocks, the adult sim will stomp her foot and eave her arms
• If I put rocks ON the exact spot, the adult sim will pick a new spot which is still not where I asked her to put the toddler down
• If I place the lot in a new world there are no issues
• This happens on nearly all the lots in the world
• It happens more if the lot is hilly
• The spot they pick is often close to where the sims spawn when you move them in
• The spot the sims spawn is not where it should be (by the mailbox) but somewhere very random
• The spot the sims spawn is normal in another world
• It’s not just picking up and putting down toddlers, it is multiple things like doing homework on the floor, playing the guitar, talking to another sim
• Half the time sims will also wave their arms and not go through doors
• If I replace these doors they work
• Some of the bridges also have issues in the world where the sim will wave their arms and only go halfway over the bridge
• There is no “non-routable” paint in these areas, nor deco

Things I have tried:
• Replacing the lots
• Deleting all objects on the lot
• Using a different lot
• Resetting all objects
• Using an older version of the world
• Placing the lots somewhere else
• Deleting the lot in CAW and placing an empty lot (if it is flat then it has less issues)
• Importing the world into a new CAW file
• Importing a flat height map into my world WORKS
• Importing an EA height map into my world WORKS
• Importing the EA height map I edited into my world DOES NOT WORK
• Importing my height map into a totally new world WORKS
• Importing my height map into a totally new world and editing water height DOES NOT WORK
• Placing the lot on land without water WORKS
• Placing the lot in Island Paradise over water DOES NOT WORK

I know it is a height map issue and to do with the water height, I am just not sure why. It seems to be an EA bug that areas half on and half off water cause issues? This issue is making my world unplayable and I honestly have no idea how to fix it. If anyone has any ideas I would be ever so grateful!

Love, Frankie

To be, or not to be,
That is the question.
Everyone has a hidden identity!
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Jun 2017 at 11:13 PM
Can you post an image of the overview of the world, so that we can see the water and land layout?

Do you have any water planes in the world?

If the world is mainly close to water level, it might be worth trying to increase the contrast of your heightmap, so that the hills are higher and the seabed lower.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 9:54 AM Last edited by Tusnelda7 : 19th Jun 2017 at 5:15 PM.
Hi! Thank you for answering :D

There are no water planes at all in the world. I also tried lowering the water but it only works if I lower it so far that the lots no longer have water on them. And if I up the contrast now, I would have to literally replace all objects again :/ So it seems to be an issue with lots that are partially over water but don't use the pylon foundation.

I added a picture, it is not that good but you can see the world has a lot of water.

EDIT: I have been fiddling around and it seems the main issue is inside the houses on those lots. If I ask my sim to pick up or put down a toddler inside, then they wave their arms or the action just disappears from the queue. The game also freezes for a few seconds just before it does this. It is also only the ground floor, second levels work fine as do houses on foundations. They can teach toddlers to talk, but not walk.
Screenshots

To be, or not to be,
That is the question.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Jun 2017 at 10:41 PM
If the water level is too close to the level of the ground, the game seems to perceive that the terrain is unroutable.

I don't think there's any way to solve this apart from editing the water level with relation to the lot level, which of course is tricky when you're as advanced in building the world as you are.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Jul 2017 at 10:26 AM
I have looked at it some more and it seems to be an EA glitch. I tested a lot in the IP world and used one of the lots partially over water. Sims could not do their homework on the floor or put toddlers down properly on the lot. If I built a simple house with no foundation, then toddlers could not be put down or picked up inside the house at all, and all interactions that have to do with the ground just disappeared from the queue. If I placed the house on a foundation, the issue was no longer present. It seems EA did not update the scripting for IP to account for water lots. The "lowest level" is routable, but not considered as "the floor". I tried to add a basement or pool to create and even lower level, but this did not change the issue.

It makes absolutely no different how high the water is on the lot, so changing the water level does not fix it. It is only important if there is water present or not.

The only way to fix this issue would probably be to write a patch for the game, or to only build houses on foundation if the lot is partially over water :/

To be, or not to be,
That is the question.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 3rd Jul 2017 at 6:02 PM
Out of curiosity, what does the world routing look like on the area where the lot is? It would be interesting to see it before and after the lot is placed.