Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jan 2018 at 7:27 PM Last edited by carrit : 12th Jan 2018 at 10:19 PM.
Making a mesh seamless with the face.
I'm having problems trying to make meshes with out seams (by seams I mean areas like neck for clothing or the part of the head where the hair and face are joined.)
I've tried aligning the normals and in milkshape using the face it looks fine but then when imported into the game there are seams...

Please help!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 3:04 AM
Did you use the Vertex Data Merge as well as the Normal Data Merge? If that's all good and you're still getting seams, it might also be something wonky with either the bone alignment or UV mapping.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 6:16 PM
Make sure you copy over the right information. If you copy the neck/body over to the head/face, you'll get seams. If you do head/face to neck/body, the seams should disappear. I'm mostly familiar with the manual method (the extended vertex somethingorother) so I'm not sure how the Data Merge handles this, but it may have to do with which mesh group is on the top or bottom of the list, because that influences what info to copy when doing it manually.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 6:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Make sure you copy over the right information. If you copy the neck/body over to the head/face, you'll get seams. If you do head/face to neck/body, the seams should disappear. I'm mostly familiar with the manual method (the extended vertex somethingorother) so I'm not sure how the Data Merge handles this, but it may have to do with which mesh group is on the top or bottom of the list, because that influences what info to copy when doing it manually.

Good point! Both the vertex data merge and normals data merge work by copying over the data from the group that's higher up on the list on the groups tab to the groups below it. I've included two pics to hopefully help illustrate this a little better.

If you want to use the extended manual edit (what simmer22 mentioned - and there are definitely times when you should use this method over vertex/normals data merge), make sure you know which vertices in the list go to which mesh. There's a column in the window that pops up that assigns a number to each mesh. This number corresponds to which mesh is higher in the list on the groups tab.

Hope this helps!
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 6:26 AM
Thanks you guys. I'll be sure to try this when I have the time.