Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 2:55 PM
Default Script modding
Hi guys,

I wanted to try script modding for the first time and I've been looking through the tutorials. Only problem is they are a bit out of date...they probably still work though...but I'm getting confused by the different terms to what I've seen. Files described as .py when I see files ending in .ts4script, for example. And "this can't be done at the moment, wait for maxis to update"...I'm assuming they have? When I open a script I want to see in Notepad ++ all I see is gibberish...I've obviously done something wrong, or misunderstood. Is Python 3.3.3 still the one to use first of all?

Could anyone direct me to a tutorial that they know works? Maybe they all do? I feel like such an idiot! LOL!
Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#2 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 6:59 PM
Is python 3.3.3 still the right one to use? It's not available anymore?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 4th Dec 2017 at 10:46 AM
God only knows any more. I am an experienced sims modder (Sims 1-3) and it took me many goes to find all the right pythons and script decompilers etc for TS4 And then a few weeks later I had to do it all again. I am increasingly getting the impression that apart from the reasonably numerous tuning modders, there is a handful of script modders who have developed their own way through the maze and are off doing their modding and not updating any instructions for beginners. Even I wouldn't know where to start now. Most of the guides around are either wildly out of date, or always had some small error in them that prevents the process running smoothly without detective work.

You might be better off deciding to stick with tuning type work and use Sims4Studio which is a decent tool for that sort of thing. Customising tuning files is actually pretty powerful in this game, so you might find you can achieve most of what you wanted to that way.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Dec 2017 at 2:37 PM
*sigh of relief* Thanks so much Inge! I was getting so frustrated. That makes me feel so much better about myself, I thought I was just to dumb to figure it out!

In that case...do you maybe know of another way to seperate animations? For example, to use the adult animations on an object but set it use different animations for kids or toddlers so they don't stretch?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#5 Old 4th Dec 2017 at 3:06 PM
Again I think the best place to ask is at Sims4Studio forums. If Andrew (the tech lead there) doesn't know how to mod animations no one does (IMHO)

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Dec 2017 at 3:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Again I think the best place to ask is at Sims4Studio forums. If Andrew (the tech lead there) doesn't know how to mod animations no one does (IMHO)

Ah yes, good idea. Thanks for the advice, will do
Test Subject
#7 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 2:44 AM
If only there were something like Minecraft's Forge for Sims.