Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 4:43 PM
Default Recreating Scrapped Space Simulator?
I found this a while ago, but now that the Space creator theme is upon us, I figured I might as well share it:

In the game code, there is scripting for an object class called "SpaceSimulator" that was presumably ripped from the game last-minute. I assume it was to be part of the Showtime expansion before it was scrapped, as it is in the same namespace as the mechanical bull, karaoke machine, and the PlasmaPunch Gyroscopic Conductor.

From what I can gather, it would have functioned similarly to the mechanical bull: sims would have the option of 4 speeds (Low, Medium, High, and, of course, Ludicrous) and would ride around in some sort of rocket...thing for a while. There's even an incomplete buff in the game for riding the simulator at ludicrous speed called "Ludarider."

What's really interesting about this is that all the coding for this object is almost entirely intact -- it even has an XML resource for tuning values in GameplayData.package. The only things missing are the hard parts to recreate: strings, meshes, textures, and animations.

I would be more than willing to finish out the nitty-gritty of the scripting if any object creators want to recreate this object for the Space theme. I would do it myself, but I have very little talent in that department

"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had." - Eric Schmidt

If you enjoy the mods I put out, consider supporting me on patreon: www.patreon.com/Gamefreak130
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 7:15 PM
It's been a while but if I remember correctly, the Roller Coaster Tycoon games had a space simulator ride. It was essentially a shuttlecraft similar to the ones seen in Star Trek, mounted on several hydraulic legs with several video screens mounted inside for a VR experience. The other Showtime objects you mentioned all have a 3x3 footprint. That would not fit an enclosed spaceship-like ride, not even a scaled down one. A simulator slightly larger than a car, say 5x4, would be big enough to be realistic but small enough to fit inside most larger community lots.

If it's at all viable to create a model as well as animations and textures from scratch, it's a project I'd be very interested in. My Blender skills are a little rusty, but I'm alright with textures and I know how do mock up stuff.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Space Pony
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 7:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
It's been a while but if I remember correctly, the Roller Coaster Tycoon games had a space simulator ride. It was essentially a shuttlecraft similar to the ones seen in Star Trek, mounted on several hydraulic legs with several video screens mounted inside for a VR experience. The other Showtime objects you mentioned all have a 3x3 footprint. That would not fit an enclosed spaceship-like ride, not even a scaled down one. A simulator slightly larger than a car, say 5x4, would be big enough to be realistic but small enough to fit inside most larger community lots.

If it's at all viable to create a model as well as animations and textures from scratch, it's a project I'd be very interested in. My Blender skills are a little rusty, but I'm alright with textures and I know how do mock up stuff.

When I picture the simulator, I imagine the "Mission: Space" ride from Disneyworld. The thing has a centrifuge and spins and tilts to simulate acceleration and turning. Here's the best pic I could find of the exterior:

It's certainly possible to do animations from scratch. I know Arsil did several in some of his custom interactions, and I found a tutorial here, but it may be outdated. However, the first step would be getting a working mesh that can be properly animated. This Ferris Wheel mod might be a good example if it can be reverse-engineered.

Again, Milkshape, Blender, texture-making, and all that are are pretty far out of my wheelhouse, but I've seen animation state machines in the code and have a vague idea of how they execute animations.
Screenshots

"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had." - Eric Schmidt

If you enjoy the mods I put out, consider supporting me on patreon: www.patreon.com/Gamefreak130