Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 9:52 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Game crashes when trying to place Maxis rug
My game just crashed twice and it has to be related, I am decorating a house and when trying to place a rug, a Maxis base game rug, the game crashes. What can I do? Can I remove it from the game and download it as custom content?

Extra: I can't visit 2 apartment lots/families living there since the game crashes when I try to enter, so I had to move my sims elsewhere. Even when I place the lots fresh from the catalog in another neighborhood I can't visit them so I'll try to delete them and download again. I was afraid adding the Ottoman family to the neighborhood would affect my game since I saw the family (the twins in particular) has corrupted neighborhoods but I have the Ultimate Collection so it should be fine, and them affecting 2 random apartment lots (there might be other lots I haven't noticed are affected too) and a rug seems weird but idk what's going on. How do I go forward?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 9:57 PM
Do you have a rug mod? There's one that lifts the rugs up from the floor. Could be you have an outdated version or another mod that interferes with this one.
http://modthesims.info/d/399650

Could also be there's a GUID (or otherwise) conflict between a rug you downloaded and the rug(s) you're trying to place. Have you tried if this problem still happen if you take out your (non-essential) CC?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 10:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Do you have a rug mod? There's one that lifts the rugs up from the floor. Could be you have an outdated version or another mod that interferes with this one.
http://modthesims.info/d/399650

Could also be there's a GUID (or otherwise) conflict between a rug you downloaded and the rug(s) you're trying to place. Have you tried if this problem still happen if you take out your (non-essential) CC?

I don't have this mod but I'd like to! And I don't think I have another rug mod, at least not recently? I have downloaded 3 rugs recently but they seem fine? What should I try to remove? I'm trying to get rid of a lot of CC but I have a lot...and I want to keep a lot...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 10:48 PM Last edited by matildrao : 17th Aug 2018 at 11:22 PM.
Should I try to place the rug with CC deactivated?

Update - I did deactivate CC, there are still recolors of the rug but anyway - the game still crashed D:

could this be related to the lots? maybe the rug is on the lot and now I can't go there? But I played those lots just last week? So something I added to the game since could be the villain...
Alchemist
#5 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 11:18 PM
first shipped version rugs I take were in Nightlife.
the downloaded rugs; crashing might relate to their expansion setting. SimPE's OBJD tool might be able to fix that.

deactivating custom content could be another way to find out.
also the following::
-moving custom content to out of game.
-playing in AnyGameStarter; if you have disc version of game.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 11:35 PM
AHA! I DID apparently get the HL mod last week!!! on the page it says where you're supposed to put it but I just put it in the download folder... weird if it works with other rugs...? I've been able to use CC rugs all along, and other non CC were OK today too...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 11:49 PM
YEES it works! I could visit the faulty lots again! And place the damn rug! I removed the rug mod because it probably isn't placed right... I want the mod but I can't figure out where it belongs since I play Ultimate Collection without a disc and other expansion folders...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 11:49 PM
When doing a test I know that deactivating option is tempting, but it's not a good way to test, you need to cut and paste that content out of the game to your desktop.
With HL mod, from memory, one part goes in the download folder and the second part in the installation files.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 12:04 AM Last edited by matildrao : 18th Aug 2018 at 12:28 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
When doing a test I know that deactivating option is tempting, but it's not a good way to test, you need to cut and paste that content out of the game to your desktop.
With HL mod, from memory, one part goes in the download folder and the second part in the installation files.

didn't read the instructions heh, I was able to place the bin file in C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Livet i lägenhet\TSData\Res\Catalog\Bins buuuuuut AL was the latest EP folder there was, is that ok if I have ultimate collection? I'm assuming it's what I am supposed to do :D
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 2:00 AM
I don't have the UC, but mine is in M&G.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 4:56 AM
I have the mod with UC. The correct path for UC is

Place the xxBin.package in C:\Program Files (x86)/ Origin Games/ The Sims 2 UC/ Fun with Pets/ SP9/ TSData /Res/ Catalog/ Bins
Place the xxDL.package in your downloads folder
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 4:24 PM Last edited by matildrao : 19th Aug 2018 at 11:25 AM.
Perfect! No more crashing lots and rugs! Just crashing sometimes when sims grow up, when I try to buy a type of elderly male clothing, when I want to make the visible distance from a lot bigger, when I'm placing and moving lots and neighbourhood decorations to/from the catalog, when I try to move gravestones, or when I've played too long lol
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 10:16 PM
Have you done standby memory, 4gb patch and graphic rules? http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 10:54 AM Last edited by matildrao : 19th Aug 2018 at 1:41 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Have you done standby memory, 4gb patch and graphic rules? http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641
I'll look into it, I'm not able to use emptystandbylist.exe so I'll see what my computer still thinks of the memory...

Update: after adding the 4GB patch wrong the first time I tried again and added it correctly to UC, but my log say "Memory: 4096MB
Free memory: 3368MB" Before free memory was on 2...something MB, why isn't it 4096 too??? I couldn't get past the start screen when starting the game after adding the patch, I had to shut it diwn twice because it took forever but the third time I waited and it worked after idk, 5 minutes... tried to move gravestones but still it crashed. I think I need the Empty Standby List thing that was in the youtube tutorial but the program won't start. GETTING SUPER FRUSTRATED
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 2:03 PM Last edited by matildrao : 19th Aug 2018 at 2:23 PM.
Explorer Suite says my game already has "App can handle >2GB address space" ticked in, and I tried to add the Data Execution Prevention, let's see what happens

Everything I have changed/added since yesterday has only slowed down the start screen a bit. It still crashes. what. the. hell. NOW MY LOGS SAYS
"Memory: 4096MB
Free memory: 2916MB"

??????
Forum Resident
#16 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 3:05 PM
I'm pretty sure the free memory simply means how much of the memory is still free. (I'm not expert on reading the logs though but mine shows up similarly)

Elders crashing sounds like you have the uhkjhihjkj(11) file lurking in your downloads. It's not always called "uhkjhihjkj(11)" though since it could have been installed without Clean Installer making the name messed up so you should also keep an eye on files with jumbled up names that are 6.64mb in size and if you open them up in SimPE you'll find inside only 1534 CRES resources. I personally usually just open the Downloads folder, search for *.package (it should find every package file like that) and then set the folder display in size order from biggest to smallest, there usually aren't many that big packages so it should be pretty easy to find it/them (I only have default skins and few neighborhood deco items that big myself).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 3:34 PM Last edited by matildrao : 20th Aug 2018 at 11:47 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by foxmanic
I'm pretty sure the free memory simply means how much of the memory is still free. (I'm not expert on reading the logs though but mine shows up similarly)

Elders crashing sounds like you have the uhkjhihjkj(11) file lurking in your downloads. It's not always called "uhkjhihjkj(11)" though since it could have been installed without Clean Installer making the name messed up so you should also keep an eye on files with jumbled up names that are 6.64mb in size and if you open them up in SimPE you'll find inside only 1534 CRES resources. I personally usually just open the Downloads folder, search for *.package (it should find every package file like that) and then set the folder display in size order from biggest to smallest, there usually aren't many that big packages so it should be pretty easy to find it/them (I only have default skins and few neighborhood deco items that big myself).

I'm cleaning up my dowload folder and I did find the uhkjhihjkj(11) file but it's not added recently... removed it, it might help other kinds of crashing prevention! I'll try to find out what download is causing issues since the tombstones could be moved when I temporarily removed the download folder, and also, buying the elder male clothing and going to a community lot worked fine (normally I get tons of object errors for NPCs, sims and pets, and the pets act like SIMS! They'd float in the air, order drinks etc, quite funny to see but a very weird glitch that I should remove )