Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jun 2019 at 12:43 AM
Default Need help making clean textures
I'm trying to upload a mod that adds those eye markings the characters in Splatoon have. It was rejected because the textures were "blurry, crunchy, and/or pixellated". I'm not sure how to make it clean and would like some pointers. I was using the pen tool in GIMP. Visual aid would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Jun 2019 at 1:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by icantevenname
I'm trying to upload a mod that adds those eye markings the characters in Splatoon have. It was rejected because the textures were "blurry, crunchy, and/or pixellated". I'm not sure how to make it clean and would like some pointers. I was using the pen tool in GIMP. Visual aid would be appreciated.

Here's a great tutorial for eye shadow from Sims 4 Studio with lots of pictures to help get you going: http://sims4studio.com/thread/513/e...hop-sims4studio. Please note with this tutorial, your cloned texture may not look like the one in the second screenshot on the page, but will likely not have the nose and rest of the features on it, except for the eyes as the tutorial is a little older, but still has all the vital information. And it uses Photoshop, but you can just follow along with GIMP, using the appropriate buttons and techniques in that program

The pencil tool would be used to make clean lines. But, you have to go back and forth between Sims 4 Studio and GIMP to keep testing how the shape of your texture will work. Remember it's very important to have the alpha channel in the shape necessary to make the markings. That's why using dds files is particularly helpful. Using simple png textures doesn't work nearly as well, as there is no alpha channel (or alpha layer, which is the bottom black and white layer of a dds texture). The shape of the eye markings on the alpha channel may not be shaped exactly as the final product you are looking for because of the nose of the sim, so you may also need to play with the shapes and have them looking different on the texture than what you want the effect to be in game. This is why it's good to save the textures as you work and keep testing how they look in S4S. Then, finally, test them in game to see how they show up there. You may need to go back and rework them several times. It's not a really quick process and will take some patience and dedication, but keep at it and you'll get it! It takes me ages to get eye shadows right, but that uses a lot of blurring and other techniques not required for a clean eye marking.

The best way to make the markings is either as eye shadow, or by cloning a skin detail and rework the textures on that, based on the same premise and textures as eye shadow. Markings around the eyes are difficult to get in the right place, and it's best to do a male and female version, if that is what you want, because the texture shapes are slightly different. For the males, the eyes are further apart and tend to have a more flattened eye shape to them. This can be seen if you lay a male texture over top of a female texture in comparison.

Then, you can also check in the Creator Feedback Forum for opinions on how it looks before you upload. You can quite often find others who will have some tips for you as well!

Have fun!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jun 2019 at 1:41 AM Last edited by icantevenname : 20th Jun 2019 at 5:03 AM. Reason: Fixed slight typo
Quote: Originally posted by Simmiller

Then, you can also check in the Creator Feedback Forum for opinions on how it looks before you upload. You can quite often find others who will have some tips for you as well!

First of all, thanks for the feedback. But something just dawned on me. I do not have the best of computers, so I play on lower settings. Maybe that's part of the reason the texture didn't look so good. 'Course, that's only a part of it, lackluster work on my end is a bigger part. But I want to know, can I ask people with computers that can handle higher settings to try out my mod via the Creator Feedback Forum? Or do the people who handle the posts try out submitted mods?