Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 12:12 PM Last edited by telefen : 3rd Aug 2019 at 12:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Default Simple recoloring
Hi everyone: I just got my first copy of sims 4 for my birthday. Anyway I still love sims 2 and have plenty of experience meshing,using simpe,MS3d and recolring stuff. When it comes to sims 4, I feel completely lost even though I've been trying to find answers. I been told to download sims4studio and here I see S4 cas tools byCMAR. Which should I choose? Do they have similar functions? At this point all I wanna do is to make recolors and not mess around with meshes untill I learn a bit more. Also I was thinking to download simpe4 and use my gimp 2.6 to make recolors of my cc. Is that possible to just export images and edit and build dds or in this case dss files to make changes? Any help would be appreciated as I'm very confused amides all my search. Many thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 3:15 PM
Sims 4 Studio and CAS Tools have roughly similar capabilities for making CAS parts (clothing, hair, accessories, recolors) but S4S also does objects, walls/floors/etc., animations, and I think tuning mods. I'm not going to recommend either since I'm obviously biased. A major difference is that CAS Tools is best used with Milkshape while S4S requires Blender. I'm working on adding Collada support to CAS Tools so it can work smoothly with Blender as well and hopefully any meshing tool that can import/export .dae meshes. Outside of those considerations, for recolors IMO you'd just have to try both and see which interface suits you better.

S4pe is also useful but you can't make recolors with it unless you do a lot of manual duplicating/exporting/importing of resources and changing TGIs and links.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 4:27 PM
Default Thanks for your explanation
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Sims 4 Studio and CAS Tools have roughly similar capabilities for making CAS parts (clothing, hair, accessories, recolors) but S4S also does objects, walls/floors/etc., animations, and I think tuning mods. I'm not going to recommend either since I'm obviously biased. A major difference is that CAS Tools is best used with Milkshape while S4S requires Blender. I'm working on adding Collada support to CAS Tools so it can work smoothly with Blender as well and hopefully any meshing tool that can import/export .dae meshes. Outside of those considerations, for recolors IMO you'd just have to try both and see which interface suits you better.

S4pe is also useful but you can't make recolors with it unless you do a lot of manual duplicating/exporting/importing of resources and changing TGIs and links.

Thanks for your quick response Cmar: It seems like S4pe is more difficult to use than the old simpe. Anyway as you're discribing the difference between two cas programs, i get a clarification as to which tool to use and that is yours since it works with milkshape and that is my favorite as to compare to blender. I do have blender and I liked it untill I found out my meshes were missing normal map upon exporting otherwise it is by far more superior to MS. However milkshape is much easier with less functions. I must give S4 cas tool a try. Thank you very much for clearing thing up for me.