Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 12:39 AM
Default First Impressions
So... I don't wanna give too much away... But I have been playing for a few hours and I really like the game. I was surprised that it automatically needed a patch which took FOREVER to install. But I am pleasantly pleased...

Killing sims is even more fun when it is done medieval style (I've gone through 3 monarchs)

And I don't mind the kind of lack of building... because I still have TS3 on my computer... And I have more time to concentrate on quests and making my kingdom miserable prosperous...

How's it going for everyone else in the US... (Sorry Europe Friday will come )

And never again, and never again...They gave us two shots to the back of the head... And we're all dead now...
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 12:44 AM Last edited by Shaliera : 23rd Mar 2011 at 5:48 PM.
I cannot save the game - I cannot disable the tutorial even if I start a new game. This is driving me nuts. Anyone else having this???

Update: Ok....my problem was trying to actually save the game while the tutorial was going on...and on...and on, lol. The problem was that I didn't have time to sit through the whole tutorial at once and just wanted to save the game - nope - you HAVE to sit through the tutorial. Later, when I had time, it actually made it past the tut and I could save it. As far as the game goes - it's cute and kind of fun. Some things are actually making me laugh - something I've missed since Sims 2. I just wish they had eyelashes!!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 1:15 AM
I've been playing all afternoon and I love it!

hotaru801, my patch update didn't take long at all. Maybe it was due to your internet connection?

Shaliera, I was extremely frustrated with the tutorial as well... but I never tried disabling it lol It stops after a little while though And I haven't tried closing the game and reopening it to see if my saved game actually saved... I hope it did!

I know you can't really customize the game like the Sims 2 & 3, but I've always been the type to just play with very basic surroundings because I don't have the patience to create beautiful homes and such. So this is perfect for me. The quests are like the mini-challenges we impose on ourselves so I like that too.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 1:16 AM
I've played a few quests so far, and it's been fun! Not overly challenging nor overly simple as far as the quests, and there's a lot of humor in the details. I do enjoy RPG games but I dislike having to fight the same stupid monsters over and over or "run away" every 3 seconds. I also don't care for juggling a pile of useless inventory items and always dragging along multiple (and often just as useless) co-players . Medieval seems to balance out the RPG aspect with the "Sims" aspect pretty evenly, for me, but the jury is still out

There are some frustrating aspects -- like, why can't I just EAT the apple in my inventory and where in the heck can I put a tent?! Also, the furnishings and CaST choices are rather limited (and many are just weird/ugly) ... but I don't see that as a focus for this genre of game so it is not a deal-breaker.
Test Subject
#5 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 1:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shaliera
I cannot save the game - I cannot disable the tutorial even if I start a new game. This is driving me nuts. Anyone else having this???

I read that the devs made the tutorial mandatory because while having people play, the ones that had played the sims jumped right in and then didn't know what to do, while the players that had never played the sims went through the tutorial and did much better.

Ahh, the arrogance of simmers!

I do hate that you can't save while in the tutorial! That is a completely moronic thing in my opinion!

Other than that, I think the game is great! Although I had a problem with patching... it wouldn't let me patch through it's launcher (sound familiar, anyone?1) so I had to patch manually.
Test Subject
#6 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 2:12 AM
I've been playing it off and on since yesterday and thus far I've had a pretty good time! It was a bit obnoxious that you couldn't save in the tutorial, but it goes by enough. It's cool to see how one simple choice can effect so many things about the kingdom. I'm looking forward to getting some more buildings up and doing some more quests. One of my favorite things is the clothes in Create-A-Sim and the new Create-A-Style. Making the Heroes is half the fun for me, haha. I'm really looking forward to starting multiple kingdoms and manipulating them all in different ways. Ahhhh, it's good to be "The Watcher."
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 2:28 AM
Because I must get back to Lady Beatrix, I'll wrap this up in a few short words: exciting. overwhelming. fun. addictive.
Test Subject
#8 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 2:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DeLoure
Because I must get back to Lady Beatrix, I'll wrap this up in a few short words: exciting. overwhelming. fun. addictive.

Ya what they said. I'm a lvl 4 monarch right now and will be laying down the barracks and lighthouse and what not.
Test Subject
#9 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 3:58 AM
I love this new sims. <3 I thought I was the only one it took long to install for! D; How weird. I thought it was because amazon was a -cough- and they jacked up my disc(which they did).
Let's hope we don't get bored of it to soon. </3
Forum Resident
#10 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 4:30 AM
I'm currently enjoying making my Villiage miserable... high taxing, random Sims dying in the pit, and a bloodthirsty Queen!
Test Subject
#11 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 6:28 AM
Okay, I'll sound like a complete creep for saying this, but I think this game (I've been playing for 6 hours) has completely ruined my view of The Sims series altogether.

Firstly, let me say that I so anticipated the game that when it arrived in the mail, I cried. And after I composed myself, I installed the game and got on with it. The tutorial, I think, is what set the mood for the rest of the game. I think that whether or not they felt that the tutorial was necessary to understand the TSM, they should have still given the player a choice as to whether or not they want to go through with it. I enjoy experimentation when playing games: jumping right in and making mistakes; clicking on things that I maybe shouldn't have clicked on! And learning is only half the fun

But a mandatory tutorial? I spat on my keyboard >_>

Then, I supposed I was hoping for the same type of open-living strategy game that EA put out in the past. I was thinking - " Okay, so I'll make someone, move into a hovel, work as a bard and make my way to the top FUN!" No I turned to the friend I had invited over for the unveiling and asked, "Why the heck am I a monarch?"

Still, I decided to give the game a fair chance. But then it began to remind me more and more of the Fable series (Especially Fable 3), rather than the beautiful bit of originality that I had hoped for it to be. The Sims with an actual plot? What are they trying to pull? It was the plotless-ness of it all; the free-roaming, mistake-encouraging, llama loving series that shaped what I would look for in games from the moment I played the Sims 1. Even now, I look for games with customizable characters and almost limitless possibilities (like The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and The Elder Scrolls v: Skyrim [Coming out in Nov.])

Now, I won't deny that the game is cute and somewhat unexpected, and probably plenty of fun if you're into that sort of thing. But I would have rather of had just one character to control, and choose one profession for him to take; rather making many that I have no connection with. Whatever happened to moving from house to house when you got more money? Expanding your family, getting old, dying, and playing with your kids and grand kids? THAT would have been fun in the medieval era. The quests too, the professions, but still keeping with the family-building, life expanding basis of the game?

So that's about it. First impression, take it or leave it.
Test Subject
#12 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 6:48 AM
@Secktre- I agree so much. D: <3 I feel like they gave us awesome looking sims, but in return. . . took away some nice stuff.
I'm not saying TS3 and TS2 are ugly looking sims, because I like them too, but :u These ones are so nice. But, I want them to have tons of good looking babies. And did anyone notice that "Try for Baby" thing was removed? D: It's just woohoo now. It gets you preggers yeah, but. . :c Whatever.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 6:56 AM
If you won't say it, I will: TS3 sims were ugly. Really ugly. Really, really ugly. But these ones are so pretty and I made 3 sims (2 of them men!) and didn't cringe a single time. I wish there was a way to get the quality create-a-sim from TSM into TS3, because the TSM gameplay isn't really doing it for me.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 7:02 AM
Well, I'm here to bitch! I live in the middle of nowhere and had to drive for quite a distance to Wal-Mart.

Good thing - I got the special version where you get the three bonuses.
Bad thing - the disc was corrupted and would install. My computer didn't even recognize it while I'm still playing Sims 1 and 2 on the same machine with no problems. And I have plenty of memory and RAM. The disc is damaged or blank or something.

So I have to drive all the way back to Wal-Mart tomorrow and exchange it and hope I get one that works!!!

Test Subject
#15 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 7:08 AM
lol Sorry Edejan, that really sucks! You must have been really looking forward to it. Had I gotten a corrupted disk, I would have called EA in tears, asking who corrupted my disk and why they hated me. As a matter of fact, when the i double clicked on the application (after it installed), I turned to my friend, panicky and stiff and said-- "I'm scared. I'm not ready for this!! What if my heart explodes (I have cardiophobia, so that's a normal fear of mine)!?"

Now that I've played it though, it seems kind of plain to me. I'll try it again tomorrow since I have the day off of work, but if I still dont like it, I'll hand it off to my younger sister >_>
Test Subject
#16 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 7:21 AM
@edejan- D; Good luck! That almost happened to me. . I got my disc from amazon and when I opened the case the disc had fallen out and the little thing that keeps it in place was broken off, and the disc was scratched. :I Then I almost had a panic attack when it was taking forever to install. OTL Make Wal-Mart pay for the gas? j u j
Test Subject
#17 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 7:24 AM
I'm enjoying it so far tremendously and LOOOVE the pretty looking sims so much! I am basing the characters I make off characters in a story I am writing, and I just about giggled my dear little head off when I accepted the quest for my knight to impersonate my monarch for a day...and he failed tremendously. 8) Spot on. I only wish there were better camera controls - unless there are, and I am missing it? The only way to rotate the screen is to switch to "follow my sim" and then mess around with it there...but it's so limited.

Also, are there options to take pictures? I think I am overlooking that icon somewhere. I tried my print screen button as well but nothing exciting happened.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 8:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Secktre
Okay, I'll sound like a complete creep for saying this, but I think this game (I've been playing for 6 hours) has completely ruined my view of The Sims series altogether.

Firstly, let me say that I so anticipated the game that when it arrived in the mail, I cried. And after I composed myself, I installed the game and got on with it. The tutorial, I think, is what set the mood for the rest of the game. I think that whether or not they felt that the tutorial was necessary to understand the TSM, they should have still given the player a choice as to whether or not they want to go through with it. I enjoy experimentation when playing games: jumping right in and making mistakes; clicking on things that I maybe shouldn't have clicked on! And learning is only half the fun

But a mandatory tutorial? I spat on my keyboard >_>

Then, I supposed I was hoping for the same type of open-living strategy game that EA put out in the past. I was thinking - " Okay, so I'll make someone, move into a hovel, work as a bard and make my way to the top FUN!" No I turned to the friend I had invited over for the unveiling and asked, "Why the heck am I a monarch?"

Still, I decided to give the game a fair chance. But then it began to remind me more and more of the Fable series (Especially Fable 3), rather than the beautiful bit of originality that I had hoped for it to be. The Sims with an actual plot? What are they trying to pull? It was the plotless-ness of it all; the free-roaming, mistake-encouraging, llama loving series that shaped what I would look for in games from the moment I played the Sims 1. Even now, I look for games with customizable characters and almost limitless possibilities (like The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and The Elder Scrolls v: Skyrim [Coming out in Nov.])

Now, I won't deny that the game is cute and somewhat unexpected, and probably plenty of fun if you're into that sort of thing. But I would have rather of had just one character to control, and choose one profession for him to take; rather making many that I have no connection with. Whatever happened to moving from house to house when you got more money? Expanding your family, getting old, dying, and playing with your kids and grand kids? THAT would have been fun in the medieval era. The quests too, the professions, but still keeping with the family-building, life expanding basis of the game?

So that's about it. First impression, take it or leave it.

I so agree with you, Secktre!

I was expecting this game to be exactly like TS3 stuck in the Medieval time period, where we would have the free play that we've always been used to. But hey, I should have known that it wasn't going to be all that great when I found out the same devs that made the Sims City Societies created this one too. I thought that game sucked and when I found out that the same devs that created SCS also created TSM, I should not have run out so fast to the store to buy it!
Test Subject
#19 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 9:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chasitykins
I'm enjoying it so far tremendously and LOOOVE the pretty looking sims so much! I am basing the characters I make off characters in a story I am writing, and I just about giggled my dear little head off when I accepted the quest for my knight to impersonate my monarch for a day...and he failed tremendously. 8) Spot on. I only wish there were better camera controls - unless there are, and I am missing it? The only way to rotate the screen is to switch to "follow my sim" and then mess around with it there...but it's so limited.

Also, are there options to take pictures? I think I am overlooking that icon somewhere. I tried my print screen button as well but nothing exciting happened.

Press C. That's how you take pictures~
And I have a mouse(and a touchpad, but I don't use it much) and it was easy. o: I just think you have to mess around with the camera and see what you can find.
Test Subject
#20 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 9:33 AM
My overall expectation was set too high so I was highly disappointed.
I was expecting better customization options and I think the sims flesh is kinda...poor.
It looks like they have freckles (which I don't have nor do I want my sim to have).
I particularly disliked the fact I couldn't add some light makeup to at least give them a pretty face.
Plus there needs to be more hair styles that don't make the head look flat.

Also I am a person who LOVES the customization of buildings so it disappointed me that I couldn't put together some buildings myself.
Overall, the 50$ I spent on the game wasn't worth my money. I wish I purchased a hard copy instead of the digital.
Also the landscape isn't that navigable and I'd like to see these bears that I am hunting.
I've been a simmer for many years and this is probably the worst I've seen from them.

I do however like the quests and classes involved and the grungy graphics. It really sets the medieval mood.
Test Subject
#21 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 9:51 AM
I love the sims and how creative you can be in this game, ever since they did medieval, I've automatically a fan and after every good news and features that are awesome, I've wanted this game real bad. Now that it's released and I'm playing it, I've loved it so far. I like the duel system and how you now required to play 1 or more people. I also like how they finally added religion's into the game, but i'm suprised how they only added two, and no foreign religion as well (as far as I know).
Test Subject
#22 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 12:29 PM Last edited by silverbeadchick : 23rd Mar 2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: clue
I'm glad it's different. I've been obsessed with The Sims since game 1. I have and have played to death every expansion pack. I love to build and create and mainly love the open game play..
It's very nice to have something different for a while.
I am having an issue with getting the bonus content into my game. I can't seem to locate a "redeem code" option in the option menu.

**Ahhh, the redeem code option in on the main menu.
Giblets for hire
#23 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 12:35 PM
There's a "Redeem Code" option under the main menu (the "..." button).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 1:05 PM
Now that I have played through the night. I still love the game but...

I miss free play... I wish I could play without being on a quest... Build skills/levels without this lingering feeling of I must do this crawling down my back.
The camera controls... Ok so I've played a few games that required too much key board work for the camera (Cough Cough Fable Lost Chapters Cough)... The camera is probably the one thing that made me actually stop playing and go to sleep last night. It was driving me wonkers...
The sims are still ugly, the clothes are still ugly... But I have not expected cute clothes in a sim game since sims 1 came out so yeah...

In the end... I like quest following type games like Fable (Hooray for the RPG)... So I like this. But even in Fable you can run around and do whatever when you aren't on a quest... I feel like I didn't waste my money, and I am glad I didn't do the unthinkable *looks away and coughs* to get the game in a few days for a lot less *wink wink*. And I like the amount of points I got for purchasing TSM at GameStop.

So I am still pleased. And going back to waste my morning on Leveling up my evil wizard who shall take over the kingdom and kill the *counts on fingers* 5th monarch... Hooray for cheat codes! :D

And never again, and never again...They gave us two shots to the back of the head... And we're all dead now...
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 3:04 PM
I'm annoyed that you can't control your husband. My queen needs to wohoo to get an heir but the husband is never at home. >

:)
Page 1 of 5