Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th May 2018 at 2:38 AM Last edited by cows : 14th May 2018 at 1:15 AM.
Default (solved) none uses pool in community lot... workarounds?
A while ago I managed to build a simple community lot pool. The only thing that there was available to interact with in the lot was the aforementioned pool, 2 bathrooms, and a bunch of sun loungers by the pool. While there were a decent amount of Sims present in the lot, they all stood around talking. That's nice, but I really wanted them to come by for a swim. I sent my controlable Sims (an adult and a child) to swim to see if it would "trigger" the rest of the non-household sims to join them but it did not work. I don't think it was a weather issue because it was spring.

Is my game the problem, or is there some mod that makes townies etc to use the pool and other rarely-used objects more often in community lots?

Thank you.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 9th May 2018 at 2:41 AM
Could we see a picture of your lot, and its layout please? I never had trouble with this. Everyone uses the pool at my community park.
You have enough ladders ? You'll need more than one. Some sim will prefer entering the pool by jumping off the diving board, some will prefer entering the pool by sliding down the slide...and some of them will prefer entering slowly by using the ladders.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 9th May 2018 at 2:43 AM
What else do you have on the lot that they are using? If you have something that is advertising more fun they will use that instead. For example my vineyard B&B has a pool and it doesn't often get used since sims would rather water the grape vines.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th May 2018 at 2:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
What else do you have on the lot that they are using? If you have something that is advertising more fun they will use that instead. For example my vineyard B&B has a pool and it doesn't often get used since sims would rather water the grape vines.

Quote: Originally posted by cows
The only thing that there was available to interact with in the lot was the aforementioned pool, 2 bathrooms, and a bunch of sun loungers by the pool.

Doesn't look as if they have much at all.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 9th May 2018 at 3:42 AM
Their fun is too high then, use the simblender and drop it. Another method is get your playables in the pool and do an invite to play Marco Polo.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#6 Old 9th May 2018 at 3:56 AM
Did you actually remember the ladder? just checking. i mean I figured you did but still...
Mad Poster
#7 Old 9th May 2018 at 4:04 AM
Cows could not have sent an adult and a child to see if it triggers the rest of the Town, without a ladder... Or maybe, but would have noticed fast enough!
Unless Cows downloaded the invisible pool spot?
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=608173

Mad Poster
#8 Old 9th May 2018 at 4:26 AM
You provided part of the answer in your post: "While there were a decent amount of Sims present in the lot, they all stood around talking."

Put something on the lot besides the loungers and the bathrooms. They love to eat. Put in the hacked dessert cart, some tables and chairs. Put in a chess board, or a dart board for them to play with.
They won't move around unless you make them want to do something else for fun.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#9 Old 9th May 2018 at 4:38 AM
The goal here, is for the lot visitors to go for a swim though. At my park, I have 2 vending machines, some tables to sit and eat, around the pool area. On the other side of that park, I have all the playground equipment, yet, no one ever play on them, they all prefer to go swimming. So not sure here.

Forum Resident
#10 Old 9th May 2018 at 5:29 AM
I used to have this problem and I can't remember what I did to change it. Community lot skilling maybe?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 9th May 2018 at 5:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
You provided part of the answer in your post: "While there were a decent amount of Sims present in the lot, they all stood around talking."

Put something on the lot besides the loungers and the bathrooms. They love to eat. Put in the hacked dessert cart, some tables and chairs. Put in a chess board, or a dart board for them to play with.
They won't move around unless you make them want to do something else for fun.

I think you misread Fran, they don't want them playing chess and eating and stuff, they want them to use the pool.

~Call me Jo~
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#12 Old 9th May 2018 at 6:27 AM
Artificially raise motives of everything but fun and lower that. See if that helps
Mad Poster
#13 Old 9th May 2018 at 10:53 AM Last edited by Justpetro : 9th May 2018 at 11:50 AM.
It is not the pool, but the personalities of the sims that will influence them using the pool.

Lazier Sims will not jump in a pool without being told to (and the extremely lazy ones still do the "Who, Me?" thing at times as well ). Very active sims may jump into the pool by themselves, but the rest will not. You need to send a playable into the pool and ask other sims to join if you want them to use it. (You will also see that the lazier the sim, the quicker he or she is out of the pool after joining - although a lazy sim may float on his/her back as well, but as far as actual swimming in the pool, not at all likely).

Most of them will join for a game of Marco Polo as well, but the lazy ones will not play that for long either.

Edit: Fitness also plays a role - fitter sims are more likely to use the pool on their own.
Theorist
#14 Old 10th May 2018 at 1:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I think you misread Fran, they don't want them playing chess and eating and stuff, they want them to use the pool.

I think the eating things and chessboards and all is supposed to draw the Sims from the street into the lot and, in turn, towards the pool I also have the experience that if you just plop down a pool with nothing else the Sims will just stand around, mostly at the sidewalk/edge of the lot. But if you give them some additional entertainments they are drawn into the lot, spend time there doing stuff and evnetually will go "Hey, there's a pool here :-O !" and jump right in.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 10th May 2018 at 1:33 PM
I won't argue with that, but isn't it the pool, the first thing a sim head for at any other given time when they visit your household?
You barely have time to greet them Ploosh! They're in. I think, we really need to see a picture of Cows lot.

Mad Poster
#16 Old 10th May 2018 at 2:22 PM
Actually, when I have a pool installed in my house lots, it's not an automatic draw for the neighbors. Depends on what/who else is in/on the lot at the time. Any bar will draw them, a TV will do it for the lazier ones. The dartboard is attractive to the gamers, as is the chess board. I think it really depends on how active the pixel is when they're choosing how to spend their time.
In Bellefleur, one of my houses has a swimming pool, and the kids of the household are in it almost from the second they wake up until they have to go to school-they're all very active and physically oriented. Their parents aren't, being more intellectually inspired.
Which is why I put a chess board, and a dart-board, along with the food on a community pool. They're all going to go for whatever gets their attention, and then they'll head for the pool if they're up for it.
But you're right, Rose-we need to see a picture of the lot before we can figure out if it can be improved/changed to make it more attractive for the visitors.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#17 Old 10th May 2018 at 3:23 PM
You don't have this, do you?

poolhack.package

Visitors should no longer insist on jumping into your pool at the first unattended moment: They will only use the pool if appropriate dressed for it, as opposed to magically pulling their swimsuits from their butts the moment you leave them unattended for 3 seconds and then proceeding to wander the house soggily after you shoo them out. Sims no longer change back immediately after chickening out from diving. Sims who are being WATCHED while diving will not be able to wimp out anymore. People would make fun of you for that. And then push you in anyway. Last but not least, the option to swim naked has been made available, so if your sim is already naked, he won't change before diving. Making your sims get naked for the task is left as an exercise for the reader.
Scholar
#18 Old 10th May 2018 at 3:36 PM
Sims can't use a pool autonomously at all, we can 'click' on the pool and choose 'Get In' but that menu is not available to sims. When we choose 'Get In' that's the same as clicking on the ground and choosing 'Go Here", sims will then use a diving board, pool ladder or pool slide as a portal to get into the pool the same way as they use doors to 'Go Here'. It is the portal objects (ladders, diving boards, slides) that they can interact with autonomously. Diving boards have a higher attraction than ladders and seem to be more popular than pool slides so make sure you place them where sims get easy uninterrupted access.

I actually have the opposite problem, sims tend to prefer to dive into the pool above all else and it takes a lot longer to interact with one once she is swimming so I usually ignore them once they are in the water.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 10th May 2018 at 3:56 PM Last edited by Rosebine : 10th May 2018 at 4:30 PM.
Ok for playables, but Cows problem is every other sims. The ones not controlled, visiting the community lot. My visitors do use the pool, no one ever need to ask them to.
ETA..I don't have to ask my playables either, now that I think about it..what do you mean, pool is not autonomous? Seems to be in my game.
ETA2..Ok, if I get what you are saying right, sims would not be attracted by the pool at all, but would be by pool ladders, diving board and pool slide?
I once tested something, and I had placed a pool ladder on the ground, but without having a pool. (moveobjects on, obviously) A sim went for it! then complained...lol
So ok, make sense...This is also the trick for swimmable lakes! duh...sorry, my brain was...out.
I thought at first, Cows issue was that these objects were placed using moveobjects on, and maybe they were unusable. But Cows also said, he/she tried sending their own sims in (an adult and a child) to see if all worked well, and it did. So...I really wonder. Might be a pool hack as Charity said.
@cows come back!!!! we need you to fix your issue! lol

Mad Poster
#20 Old 10th May 2018 at 4:39 PM
Perhaps I have some mod as well - but I don't use the poolhack one. I definitely see a difference between my lazy and active sims - I have one teen that will get into the pool by herself (drawn by a ladder?) but she insists on floating on her back. She is REALLY lazy, she has no active points at all. But Mr No Nice Points with his 10 activity points and 10 body skills is always in any pool - going for those spectacular dives too
Mad Poster
#21 Old 10th May 2018 at 5:22 PM
To whoever disagree on Chris post, I think you might change your mind if you re read his post..
It is really interesting actually, so thanks Chris.
The pool itself is not even needed, for sim to go in. So it make sense that the pool itself is nor autonomous, nor attractive.
To make a pretend swimmable lake, you'd use a diving board for sims to get in, and a ladder for them to get out. But you don't have to add an actual pool. Your sims will still think there is one, and will gladly jump in..and swim in the ground...
So here you go! What attracts and call sims in, are the objects used to get in and out. Not the build mode pool.
After that, which of these 3 objects they'll use is up to their personality.

Undead Molten Llama
#22 Old 10th May 2018 at 5:28 PM Last edited by iCad : 10th May 2018 at 5:44 PM.
I just looked at the autonomy/advertising and visitor-enabling settings for the three pool objects -- ladder, slide, diving board. (Things that aren't visitor-enabled can't be used by non-playables on community lots.)

Ladder: Not autonomy-enabled and not visitor-enabled, with no advertising. I'm guessing that this only applies to using it for getting into pools, since Sims will use them to get out of pools all by themselves. Frankly, I think it's good that they're not auto-enabled because otherwise Sims wanting to get into the pool might block those wanting/needing to get out, and/or it would result in a lot of stomping and yelling. OR this might all be affected by Guardian BHAVs that I don't understand.

Slide: Is both autonomy-enabled and visitor enabled, but it's advertising is so weak as to be non-existent. (It has a base advertising value of 3....on a scale of 1-100, I think) with a 25-point boost...to Sims of a non-existent category ("Literacy.") So yeah, that one's screwed up all to hell. :\

Diving board: Is both autonomy-enabled and visitor-enabled and advertises with a base value of 25 with a 20-point boost to Active Sims.

So, yeah, if you want more pool use, you need diving boards, and you'd probably be wise to have more than one. And that would be why active Sims are more likely to swim, especially if there're diving boards around, 'cuz the diving boards are screaming pretty loudly at them while the slide is faintly whispering at no one and the ladders are mute. Also, you'll want to avoid objects that are more fun than the diving board because Sims will use those instead to fill fun. Chess would be less fun, as would darts. Also, I'mma fix that slide so that its advertising is the same as the diving board. (Seriously, the whole advertising system is totally FUBARed. ONE DAY I will have it all fixed as it ought to be.) And if you want to try your hand at doing some fixing yourself: http://dramallamadingdang.tumblr.co...4/tutorial-time

All that said, I think Sims are "programmed" to arrive on community lots hungry and low-ish on social, lower than they are on fun. So, on your pool lot you may need to have things on hand to address hunger -- a grill, a food stand, vending machines, whatever -- that Sims can use to fill their bellies (and probably talk to people at the same time) and then they'll probably look to do fun things. Otherwise, if they fill up their social while their hunger drops, they might just end up leaving the lot to eat instead of getting around to doing anything fun.

Lastly, there may be mods out there that affect this, but these numbers above are what you have in a vanilla game.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 10th May 2018 at 5:32 PM
I think I'll fix the slide to be cooler than the diving board, because frankly! yes.

Undead Molten Llama
#24 Old 10th May 2018 at 5:42 PM
I agree that slides are infinitely cooler, but I've learned that when it comes to things like this, equal advertising is just better. If there's a lot of difference between two objects of the same "category," then Sims will congregate around the cooler thing and all want to use it at the same time, resulting in stomping and yelling. This is especially so if you've modded your game to force more lot visitors. Whereas if things are equal, then Sims are equally like to choose the available options, which reduces the swarming/stomping/yelling. Sometimes, the game mechanics have to trump reality.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 10th May 2018 at 5:47 PM
Oh..how right that is! Thanks!
But more fun for slide if playful, and more fun for diving board if more serious? That would work...I can keep the same advertising.

Page 1 of 3