Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 9:39 PM Last edited by IamCornholio : 17th Jan 2018 at 10:00 PM.
Default Making an already exsisting object into a default replacement...
Hi, I'm trying to make a ownable city bus vehicle into a default replacement for the late night fake taxi's...

before you accuse me of wanting someone to do it for me and not wanting to do any actual legwork, ive tried with my limited knowledge to do it myself already, including studying the resources from blooms cable car (which does work as a replacement and only uses _IMG and MOLD/MODL files), changing the instance ID (resource keys) of the resources to the same as the original LightweightTaxi cloned from S3OC, and even the OBJK vehicle scripting class to LightweightTaxi . Part of the issue I think is because its a different type of vehicle, not all the resources match up with a counterpart on the vehicle im trying to replace, so I'm not sure what instance ID they need to have to override the original. Also, the mapping is different on some of the _IMG files, and probably the MODL files, obviously.

thanks for any help.

bonus question: is it possible to turn deco vehicles into fake vehicles, since they dont need the same types of resources as actual vehicles?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 18th Jan 2018 at 2:50 PM Last edited by MeowMixPls : 18th Jan 2018 at 3:10 PM.
I'm probably not going to be any help but I'm very curious if this could be done without having to extract the meshes and textures of the bus.
It should be right? You just need to clone the CarTaxiLightweight with S3OC and make sure the Renumber/rename internally is not selected. Then just copy the instances the bus uses for textures and meshes and override taxi ones with them. The problem is that I don't know every file that needs to be overridden with the bus instances.

I downloaded to see how Bloom Base did his cable car. The XML seems to be referencing heaps of resources but I can't understand it. And wow his mesh is very involved.

Well, then I just tried to extract the bus mesh and textures and but it in the taxi file. I have no experience with complicated meshes like cars so it looks like this in game lol

then I tried the same putting it in to Bloom's package and the bus is brown

" Part of the issue I think is because its a different type of vehicle, not all the resources match up with a counterpart on the vehicle im trying to replace" yes, taxi mesh has 3 groups, busses got 4. what i did, I just combined two of the busses groups to get it to 3 groups but I think I probably broke the tires spinning visual effect? I'm not sure can't even get the textures to work. I'm not sure how to edit the UV map after having combined two groups of the mesh.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 21st Jan 2018 at 8:26 AM
I found a super easy way to get it show up in game without having to touch any meshes or IMG.

However, one problem persist: the wheels are misaligned when the bus is moving. If the bus is still, everything looks normal.

It must be somehow tied to the script or animation the taxi uses. I'm not sure yet which file governs this.

So I made a clone of the school bus and the fake taxi. copied the fake taxi's resource names of OBJK, OBJD, VPXY and MODL and replaced them in the bus file. Then I went the bus OBJK and changed the script class to Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.Vehicles.LightweightTaxi.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Jan 2018 at 2:57 AM
Very impressive! Thank you. Thats good enough, As the bus Iplan to use has the wheels mostly obscured.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#5 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 2:02 PM
I think what might be going on is the bone assignment. Did you replace the RIG file?
Field Researcher
#6 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 6:36 PM
@Lyralei Thanks, just tried that and it works now perfect!

My initial thought was that I only needed to replace OBJD since everything seems to go through it https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti...sourceChain.png Very interesting to see which file references what.

I'm still trying to understand the relationship between the RIG, RSLT, Footprint and the bone assignment and how they affect animations and routing.

I was following this thread http://linna.modthesims.info/showth...5#startcomments but when edited Kinematic entries on the same object, sims started to throw routing tantrum. I could see the statue jig in their complaint bubble. I have such a learning curve ahead of me, not sure how I'm going to pull it off. Sigh

Edit: If anyone wants the fully working late night taxi to bus replacement, let me know. I can upload it for everyone to use, given that somebody will actually use it!
Virtual gardener
#7 Old 27th Jan 2018 at 3:03 PM
The relationship is kinda but not really similar to the VXPY resource. RSLT basically holds all the visual effects, slots, routes, etc. even the bones. If you screw those values in the grid view, it could lead to having sims running around not knowing what they're doing basically. That is, because with some object this is all Jazz scripted, or just... well, scripted into it. So if these values are off, sims will get confused and teleport to wherever and gets resetted basically.

So when you only want to replace a mesh, usually what I replace (and make sure NO instances, groups, etc get renumbered! This will lead to issues within other resources) Are the MODL/MLOD, IMG, OBJK, RSLT, FTPT, RIG, VXPY, and if you really want to, OBJD and LITE as well but that is not exactly necessary. All the other things can get deleted.

So in this case... I think you wanna see whether the routes are the same, slots, the Kinematic entries... pretty much everything to see if there's something off
Field Researcher
#8 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 1:57 PM
Sweet, I deleted the OBJD from the package.

So with some objects, you just can't change the kinematic entries, routes and slots and expect that sims will use the object normally as it might also be in the script?
Virtual gardener
#9 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 4:23 PM
It really depends on the object, but indeed in your case (Just took a peek at the script that's linked to it ) There's quite a bit of slot entries which is probably for animation reasons. Usually slots aren't really mentioned in the first place in a script so that's something to keep in mind But unless you know what you're doing, changing the kinematic entries can turn into a mess if done wrong
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Aug 2018 at 12:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MeowMixPls
Sweet, I deleted the OBJD from the package.

So with some objects, you just can't change the kinematic entries, routes and slots and expect that sims will use the object normally as it might also be in the script?

its been a while, but do you still have it?

id like to take a look at what you did cause i cant get mine to work..
Field Researcher
#11 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 1:48 PM Last edited by MeowMixPls : 22nd Jan 2019 at 4:43 AM.
Oh man, so sorry, I totally missed this! I'll update this message with the file as soon as I get to my desktop.

Edit//: I have now attached the file that will turn taxis into busses.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  MeowMixTaxiToBus.zip (48.3 KB, 37 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 27th Jun 2019 at 8:25 PM
oh thanks so much

A year and a half later, but i'll hopefully make some progress now
Mad Poster
#13 Old 27th Jun 2019 at 9:45 PM
I wonder, why is it brown? My taxicab was also brown at one point. Also, nice username, bunghole.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
#14 Old 5th Jul 2019 at 1:58 PM
Brown? Do you mean my 2nd pic on the thread or did you try the mod in your game and it shows up brown now?