Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Apr 2016 at 2:43 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Sims 3 - Sim Resets when watching TV
Hi everyone, I am having a problem with my Sims 3. I have all updates, expansion packs and stuff packs.

My problem is one of my sims will always reset when I try and make him go and watch TV! I don't know why? The other household members can watch TV fine, I've also loaded up a different world and everyone there can watch the TV fine too. However, this one particular Sim cannot watch it at all and will always reset! I have searched the internet for this problem but have only came across the issue being a conflict with custom content in The Sims 4, I have not found any information about this problem on The Sims 3.

I could really use some help! I have tried deleting cache files, resetting the Sim by using the reset cheat and resetting him using the Master Controller, as well as reverting to a backup of my savedata, moving my Sim out of his home into another one and back but nothing works. I really need help!

Thanks to anyone who can help!
Advertisement
Instructor
#3 Old 23rd Apr 2016 at 10:42 AM
Yeah, I don't if you could try other things before having to delete your sim.

Maybe this page could tell you something more?

Make sure all your mods are really up to date and compatible with your patch level?
With Master Controller, maybe try a Reset Everything, not just resetting your sim?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Apr 2016 at 2:19 PM
I'll try using Master Controller to reset everything!

If that doesn't work I'm just going to have to live with it, he's my 4th generation of Sim there is no way I'm deleting him haha! It's only the TV he can't watch, he can do everything else fine

I'm pretty sure all my mods are up to date as I haven't downloaded any news ones for a while and this just randomly started happening when my Sim was on his way home from work.

Do you think this could possibly work: If I were to use "testingcheatsenabled True" then shift click on him and edit in create a sim, save him to the bin then exit out, go to the neighborhood and click create a household, get him out of the bin and use him that way? Then just use Master Controller to add him to the family tree? Would that work? Or would he still have the glitch? I'll test it out.

Thanks for the help.
Instructor
#5 Old 23rd Apr 2016 at 5:17 PM
What you suggest could be a possible work around. You could always do a back up of your save, but I would think this would create a completely new instance for your sim without any of the possible corruption? As long as you don't mind having to add again any skills/lifetime happiness points and rewards/career level/relationships/days to his age/etc. You can do all of that with Master Controller (+ Cheats module).

Also, maybe use Master Controller and Total Annihilation on your glitchy sim if you want to delete him?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Apr 2016 at 11:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Blyss
What you suggest could be a possible work around. You could always do a back up of your save, but I would think this would create a completely new instance for your sim without any of the possible corruption? As long as you don't mind having to add again any skills/lifetime happiness points and rewards/career level/relationships/days to his age/etc. You can do all of that with Master Controller (+ Cheats module).

Also, maybe use Master Controller and Total Annihilation on your glitchy sim if you want to delete him?

I took your original advice and reset the lot using the Master Controller, it worked perfectly! So thank you!

I just have one other little question before the thread is closed.. If you delete a Sim via total annihilation do they still exist on the family tree? As I have a family that I have had since The Sims 2 and story-wise one of them is missing, so I used movobjects and deleted her so she remains on the family tree but she still appears on the family photo when looking at the lot details and stuff, it's as if she's still there but isn't visible.. So I was just wondering
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 2:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Didn't you claim you already used MC reset on the sim? Fess up. You didn't earlier, did you?

Yes, I tried resetting the Sim only using the master controller and that did not work. I didn't realize that you could reset the lot until Blyss told me that I can reset everything using MC. So when I used MC I found I could reset the lot, so instead of resetting the Sim I reset the lot, and it worked!

It is called total annihilation.

I was only seeing if it was a possibility, okay?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 3:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JaseySim
If you delete a Sim via total annihilation do they still exist on the family tree? As I have a family that I have had since The Sims 2 and story-wise one of them is missing, so I used movobjects and deleted her so she remains on the family tree but she still appears on the family photo when looking at the lot details and stuff, it's as if she's still there but isn't visible.. So I was just wondering

MasterController's Total Annihilation function arranges things so it is as if that sim never existed in the first place. So no, they cannot remain on a family tree because as far as the game is concerned from that point forward they were never really there.

In case you didn't know, a MOO or testingcheatsenabled shift-click to delete a sim only deletes their body. The sim data remains in the game and will often cause corruption somewhere down the road. It is strongly recommended to never delete sims of any kind that way.
Instructor
#11 Old 24th Apr 2016 at 10:28 AM
Unless there was an object on the lot which was causing it, but that doesn't make sense either since it only happened to 1 sim and you also tried putting him on another lot.

I don't know, maybe an action wasn't stopped/cancelled correctly?
I had one of my sim stop sitting an a couch and then for some reason, he couldn't sit back on it. It was strange and I'm still not sure what caused this, as I couldn't replicate it, but a reset of the object and not the sim did resolve the issue. Though OP's problem was a bit different than mine, but it's always worth a try not only resetting the problematic sim. ;)

As I have a family that I have had since The Sims 2 and story-wise one of them is missing, so I used movobjects and deleted her so she remains on the family tree but she still appears on the family photo when looking at the lot details and stuff, it's as if she's still there but isn't visible.. So I was just wondering :)

Also, if you wanted to simulate a missing sim in Sims 3, I've seen this thread at Nraas. It seems you could achieve that either by moving the sim out on her own and Emigrating her or Traveling and leaving her abroad.
With Emigration, you won't see her anymore in your relationship panel, but she will be present in the family tree. However, after testing this with some sims, even if they retain the same place in the family tree, you don't see any details on the relationship they had with your sim (sister, father, etc.) or any of their traits.
Test Subject
#12 Old 3rd Jun 2018 at 2:54 PM
Default same
Hi everyone, I am having a problem with my Sims 3. I have all updates, expansion packs and stuff packs.

My problem is one of my sims will always reset when I try and make him go and watch TV! I don't know why? The other household members can watch TV fine, I've also loaded up a different world and everyone there can watch the TV fine too. However, this one particular Sim cannot watch it at all and will always reset! I have searched the internet for this problem but have only came across the issue being a conflict with custom content in The Sims 4, I have not found any information about this problem on The Sims 3.

I could really use some help! I have tried deleting cache files, resetting the Sim by using the reset cheat and resetting him using the Master Controller, as well as reverting to a backup of my savedata, moving my Sim out of his home into another one and back but nothing works. I really need help!

Thanks to anyone who can help!

I'm having the same problem with the Sims 4 except I'm not sure if it's just that one sim.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 3rd Jun 2018 at 3:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by justmonika1987
I'm having the same problem with the Sims 4 except I'm not sure if it's just that one sim.

It would be best to post about that issue on the TS4 section of this site instead of on a 2-year old TS3 thread. The two games are programmed entirely differently and posts here will not necessarily attract TS4 players who might be able to help better.