Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 4:13 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Inactive sims getting stuck in game world
I've been trying to figure out why the Scott family in Isla Paradiso constantly get reset by Overwatch, and I finally figured out why.

Attached is a photo of all three of the Scotts getting unroutable errors after leaving their home. I presume they're trying to drive somewhere. I have no idea how to go about diagnosing what exactly is going wrong, much less how to fix it. I've already tried deleting some trees that were for some reason on the road using Edit Town, and that doesn't seem to have helped the issue, and now I don't know what else to try. I'm already using the version of isla Paradiso with routing fixes. What should I do?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#2 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 5:05 PM
I've seen this so often that people report issues with the Scott family in Isla Paradiso that I begin to wonder what's wrong with my game, because in all the games I've played there so far, I've never had them cause me any trouble.

Where is that spot exactly? Could you get a screenshot in Map View and mark it perhaps? And also mark where their houseboat is moored.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 6:00 PM
Attached is where the Scotts' houseboat is moored, on the smaller island of the two. I circled the offending area in blue, but I'm pretty sure that it's not unique to that area. It seems more like it's just an issue plaguing the Scotts, because I swear I've had this issue recurring for at least fifty sim days and it's occurred at other moorings.
Screenshots
#4 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 7:20 PM
I know that port lot. It's broken and apparently unfixable. There's another broken port lot on the big island further down, close to the first dive spot. It's the one where the lone guy with the receding hairline (Kahale) is moored when the game starts.
I have never been able so far to find another solution than to "disable" those ports once the boats have left them, by either turning them into No Visitors Allowed lots or placing an uninhabited "decorative" houseboat in the empty slot.

If you think that this is specific to the Scotts you could move them into a house on one of the islands to see whether they cause you any more pain then.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 7:52 PM
Do you know how to move them to a different port without actually playing the family?
#6 Old 15th Jul 2018 at 9:44 PM
You can pick up the houseboat in Edit Town and place it somewhere else, but this tends to be a bit buggy, meaning it can happen that not every reference to the boat gets moved. This can then cause the houseboat to be teleported off the world once you enter the now empty port in Edit Town or Build/Buy mode.
It doesn't happen always but it is a possibility, so I usually either wait until they move on their own or make them active just for a few minutes and order them to move.
In my games, btw, it is usually both the Kahale and The Prince households which give me trouble. So you might want to closely observe these two, too, for a while.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 3:47 AM
I tried evicting them with a copy of their household, then demolishing the old one. We'll see if that solves the issue.
#9 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 7:31 AM
My own testing I did for ellacharmed of several port lots starts here: http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...969#post4322969
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 1:44 AM
You haven't heard the hilarious story of the Scott family? It seems EA/Maxis saved them while they were en route to a lot that was deleted from the final version of the game. I agree they are buggy. If you save a copy of them to the bin, and delete the original in edit town, or with a NRaas mod, they will be better. There are several problematic lots in IP. If I find my link I will post it. Also, I find lag is greatly reduced if you move all the families from houseboats, and then not allow other families to move in. Only my current household is allowed to live in a houseboat. Houseboats were a good idea, but they don't work very well.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
#12 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 7:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by attuned
You haven't heard the hilarious story of the Scott family? It seems EA/Maxis saved them while they were en route to a lot that was deleted from the final version of the game. (...)
No, I haven't, and I'd like to know more about this, because I am not entirely convinced of this theory.
I have played four different games in IP so far and several shorter test games, in both the default and the fixed versions of the world, and in none of them have the Scotts been a problem.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 4:46 PM
The problem with a number of the ports is the simple fact that they are just too close together, when a sim gets spawned on that thin strip of land they only have one route open to them, and that's back the way they came from, but when a sim is "going home" they get stuck there and usually can't move anywhere.

Don if you look at the first image in that post you linked to, next to Premium Port you have Pretty Port, edit it and extend the jetty to narrow that gap between the two ports, it doesn't move very far (two tiles) but I haven't found him stuck on that strip of land since doing it.

The three ports in the last image in that post require a bit more work, half the time I usually end up bulldozing Playa just to get it out of the way.

Second favourite world, yet it's the one I seem to spend most time trying to fix
#14 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 6:00 PM
Interesting solution. So, instead of widening the gap, which I have tried several times in vain, I should actually close it from the side of the adjacent port?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 18th Jul 2018 at 11:29 PM
Looks like the Scott family is, for the most part, fixed. Resets have plummeted to one every few sim days instead of all three of them in batches!
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 4:16 AM
Default Scott Family
Quote: Originally posted by attuned
You haven't heard the hilarious story of the Scott family? It seems EA/Maxis saved them while they were en route to a lot that was deleted from the final version of the game. I agree they are buggy. If you save a copy of them to the bin, and delete the original in edit town, or with a NRaas mod, they will be better.

Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
No, I haven't, and I'd like to know more about this, because I am not entirely convinced of this theory.
I have played four different games in IP so far and several shorter test games, in both the default and the fixed versions of the world, and in none of them have the Scotts been a problem.

I read this on the Sims 3 OF, which are always 100% accurate, in my experience. IIRC, Crinrict was part of the discussion. I checked her blog, and it doesn't go into specifics, it says simply "Delete the Scott family". https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2014/...o-paradiso.html

Whatever happened with that family, I have found them to be very buggy. Saving them to the library, deleting them and placing a new copy, seems to work.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo