Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 12:12 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night
Default My Sim just "expired" and I have no idea why
So, Abram Vasquez was jogging to the business center after competing in an Amateur Olympics (he did not win) to invest some of his family's hard earned inheritance when suddenly his hunger tanked to zero (red) and his avatar said "expire". (Granted, he did have the "Loser" trait, which I had just changed to "Lucky" because being a loser is a state of mind and after being crowned Prom King the night before and attending prom with a real cutie, he probably could consider himself lucky and a loser no more). Testing cheats was turned on, but that has never had this effect before. No new mods. No new anything. NRaas is installed but again, never seen this happen. And yes, he was only a teen.

Is this just a rare, random occurrence that can happen or is there another more puzzling reason for it? I'm just really curious. It was kinda funny, albeit surprising and a bummer. Thanks.
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 1:08 AM
Yup. That'd be it then. An actual reason for a death instead of completely random would've been nice. Thanks.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 1:27 AM Last edited by igazor : 24th Jul 2018 at 1:58 PM.
May I ask if this was the actively being played sim at the time and if you had been switching active households recently, even with the game clock paused? If not and they were the active sim or in the active household all of the time, that's a pretty extreme thing to have happened. Story progression, any kind including EA's, is intended to work on inactive sims. Not the ones we are playing. The random deletions are also what we call "culling." NRaas SP doesn't allow this although there is way to have inactives emigrate out of the world, EA's does it in a misguided attempt to balance the population. But that shouldn't be happening on the actively being played household either.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 10:46 AM
Yes, it was with the active household and I hadn't been switching between households randomly or often. But, this is the 3rd household I had changed to over long periods of time (e.g. the active Sim's lifespan from teen or YA to death or elder). When this happened I was about 4 or 5 days into their life from when I switched.

Is this something that can happen with switching? Does switching promote some other sort of instability?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 24th Jul 2018 at 1:58 PM
Switching active households exposes the now inactive ones to (often unwanted) forms of progression and, in the case of culling and also probably random deaths, EA's flawed attempts to keep the population in balance. It sounds to me in this case, unless something very unusual like a curse of some kind were in play, that the "order" for this sim to die or be removed from the game might have happened while a different household was active but it took a long while before the order was fulfilled.

EA of course does provide a household switching mechanism. But the game is not well-suited for switching households at all, even with the game clock paused just to check something out and then switch back to keep playing. Under EA standard, the inactive households all around yours exist for the convenience and amusement of your one active household and just about anything can happen to them along the way.

NRaas SP doesn't allow these random things to happen and provides tools we can use to protect "our" sims from the forms of progression we wish to protect them from.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Story+P...+Caste+Settings
(there is a bit of learning curve with SP to get used to castes and how these things work)

Perhaps a better place to start:
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/StoryProgression%20FAQ
(scroll past the internal links to get to the readable part)

AwesomeMod also has ways to prevent things like this for those so inclined, and ways to protect "our" sims from being interfered with when switching. It operates very differently though and isn't as customizable.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 2:10 AM
Thank you so much for that information.