Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Oct 2014 at 6:52 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 7th Oct 2014 at 7:25 AM.
Default [WIP] Kindergardening (XML/JAZZ tuning override)
After various different unsuccessful attempts on enabling gardening for children without colliding with the rest of the world (long story here and there) I think this is sort of working now. With the caveat that what I'm currently doing (overriding interactions so that they're available for children, and overriding the Gardening jazz file to include child-friendly (non-stretching) animations, the only thing that is working here is the animation and the basic interaction -- children do not gain gardening skill for example (since that is only for adults), but they do collect stuff in their inventory when they harvest.

Below is a test package that has Harvest/Harvest All/Harvest continuation enabled for all ages, children will use the generic Swipe To Inventory on all plants (instead of stretchy adult animations). Tested and it works in my game.

What I'd like feedback on:

1. Is it working properly for you?

2. Do you have recommendations/suggestions for existing child animations that would look good for weeding, planting or anything else? States are:

<State name="Harvest">
<State name="PlantSeed">
<State name="Evolve">
<State name="Weed"> / <State name="Weed_GetIn"> / <State name="Weed_GetOut">
<State name="Water_WithTears"> / <State name="WaterWithTears_GetIn"> / <State name="WaterWithTears_GetOut">
<State name="Spray"> / <State name="Spray_GetIn"> / <State name="Spray_GetOut">
<State name="Water"> / <State name="Water_GetIn"> / <State name="Water_GetOut">

(Get In / Out is probably kind of an intro / outro, haven't checked in detail)

The other ones are not relevant here since they require gardening skill that children don't have.

3. In jazz files, is there a way to select multiple parameters in one go? (My current solution suffers from internal bloat since I repeat everything for T/YA/A/E)

4. Any ideas on how I could get away from overriding the defaults here and use custom interactions instead? (The interactions per se aren't the problem -- making the plant objects aware of them is =/)

5. Have you seen an action (for children) similar to inventory swipe in the game that also has emotional states? I haven't played much with children yet, so not sure whether they can pick up things from, say, their drawing table perhaps, using "pick up sadly" vs. "pick up angrily" etc variations. Might be more fun for the harvesting than just the plain default one =).

(Also, how unrecommended is it exactly to just drop the skills on the floor? Can I do that?)

Attached files:
File Type: zip  pbox_kindergarden.zip (21.5 KB, 74 downloads) - View custom content

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Regarding children you could try this mod I posted in CFF a couple months ago http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=537749 -- it makes it so that children can harvest. Still works fine, I tested it when I looked into it again recently (I have a better method now to add the interactions, but the current version also only does harvesting -- if/when I make progress with that, I will post in the CFF thread, so people interested in making useful little minions out of their sim kids may want to bookmark that =P).

I could also still use feedback/ideas on animations that would work for stuff like watering and so on.

Nice, then I can perhaps replay my favorite sims 2 story about the poor medieval family, and yes it show why poor farmers want many kids very well.
No they was not as efficient as the adults but the two gave an 50% bonus.

For my current family its no need they have more money than they can use, the dragonfruit is worth more than $800 now. Daughter is teen and has taken over the farming
Mad Poster
#3 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 9:28 PM
I could also still use feedback/ideas on animations that would work for stuff like watering and so on.

Maybe the playing with dolls anims could work.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Instructor
#4 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 2:08 AM
Regarding children you could try this mod I posted in CFF a couple months ago http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=537749 -- it makes it so that children can harvest. Still works fine, I tested it when I looked into it again recently (I have a better method now to add the interactions, but the current version also only does harvesting -- if/when I make progress with that, I will post in the CFF thread, so people interested in making useful little minions out of their sim kids may want to bookmark that =P).

I tried it out and I love it Ty

You only live once make the most of it..:)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 2:53 PM
Moving the last three posts from here over here since they’re about this upload in particular, not gardening in general (didn’t mean to derail it =).

Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
Maybe the playing with dolls anims could work.

You mean the dollhouse animation, yes? Yeah that’s what I’m currently doing =) there is a generic “Kneel” animation too that I meant to try out.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.