Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Feb 2015 at 2:38 AM
Default yoshikage kira (from jojos bizarre adventure)
i made a sim of yoshikage kira that i put a lot of time into and uploaded and it got rejected so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what i could do to improve him like maybe some custom hairs i could use or tips on face sculpting to make him look closer to the character

heres a few pictures of my sim and the actual character for reference:

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net...=20140821122033

Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 11th Feb 2015 at 7:34 AM
I think one of the biggest challenges when doing characters like this is, they're not always consistent in the way they're shown.
My first thought was - "well, his jaw is supposed to be triagular, not rectangular", and yet I can see that there are pictures out there, where he seems to have a more square jaw.

So I suppose my first tip would be to find some neutral images, and settle on those. Preferable some in 3/4 or full profile too. Then it will be easier to see how the face should be sculpted.

Don't worry about hair yet. Oh, and if you could remove the makeup while sculpting, that will be helpful
is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#3 Old 11th Feb 2015 at 9:12 AM
I would also suggest taking your photos indoors in a neutral room with no decor and consistent lighting--the buydebug lights are great for this--so that we can get a good look at the changes that you make to the sim's facial sculpt. Outdoor lighting and dramatic angles actually obscure what needs to be seen. The same applies to your reference photos--as much as possible, use one good reference, not several--and try to find one that's a straight-forward shot. It'll help us see instantly if your sim is matching up.

Strangers in a Strange Land--The Shin Yi Legacy | last updated 3.7.2014
My Simblr | Is probably NSFW
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Mar 2015 at 12:29 AM
wow i didnt know that this thread actually got replies bc the inbox system here is super convoluted but ill try and do some resculpting and ill post the pics of the changes in here later
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Mar 2015 at 2:20 AM
kira take 2
so i took the advice given and i worked from a single image this time and now i think that my kira looks a lot better than before but if theres any more advice to be given ill gladly take it

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net...=20140601063009
(reference pic)

his face shape is the same in both pics its just the angle of the shot that makes them look different
is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd Mar 2015 at 12:38 AM
Okay, suggestions:

1. Post an actual picture of your reference, not a link. Seeing the photo will make it a lot easier to compare the work done on your Sim's face to the face of the character. Having to flip back and forth between the thread and another link is likely to wear people out.
2. Take your photos against a neutral background in a windowless room, pretty please. The outdoor light is bad for this purpose--you want controlled, steady indoor lights.
3. No CAS photos. Period. In-game only.

If you want an example of how you need to set up your feedback photos to get the best possible advice, take a look at this recent thread. Your photos don't have to be as big or crisp, but that is the kind of photo setup that best enables people to give you the feedback you need.

Strangers in a Strange Land--The Shin Yi Legacy | last updated 3.7.2014
My Simblr | Is probably NSFW
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 10:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by spladoum
Okay, suggestions:

1. Post an actual picture of your reference, not a link. Seeing the photo will make it a lot easier to compare the work done on your Sim's face to the face of the character. Having to flip back and forth between the thread and another link is likely to wear people out.
2. Take your photos against a neutral background in a windowless room, pretty please. The outdoor light is bad for this purpose--you want controlled, steady indoor lights.
3. No CAS photos. Period. In-game only.

If you want an example of how you need to set up your feedback photos to get the best possible advice, take a look at this recent thread. Your photos don't have to be as big or crisp, but that is the kind of photo setup that best enables people to give you the feedback you need.

aaaaa i didnt realize that the reference came out as a link i swear that i put it in the code so itd be an embedded photo

also ill retake the photos as soon as possible bc im far away from my computer atm but once i get back to it and have the time ill be sure to take some proper pics

hoo Dis
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd Apr 2015 at 4:15 AM
so i finally got to taking some better pictures in a well lit room with no windows against a white wallpaper

heres the pics i used for reference

and heres my sim

hoo Dis
Scholar
#9 Old 3rd Apr 2015 at 4:34 AM
Very close! Maybe increase the indent of the upper lip - more M - and make the bottom lip more square. The chin is just a little too wide. If you can, move the mouth up a bit to shorten the distance between nose and mouth. Then you may have to adjust the tallness/height of the chin to compensate. The eyes, eyebrows, and jaw look just right to me.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 4th Apr 2015 at 6:43 AM
so i did as simmyrn said and changed his chin and lips and i tweaked his nose slightly bc it was bothering me so heres some more shots i took of kira (they may look exactly the same as the last shots but thats only bc i tried to match the angles i took them at and the changes i made were very slight)

hoo Dis
Instructor
#11 Old 4th Apr 2015 at 7:56 AM
There's some clipping under his nose. You can remove it by adjusting his nose height until it goes away. To me he has a quite significant pout, which I don't see in the original. I would bring his entire mouth back a bit.

What I would *really* like to see, is a profile shot and a neutral shot, where he doesn't bend his neck. I'm sorta sitting here trying to look underneath the pictures, because I want to see what he looks like straight on. I know that's difficult, you might want to get a pose for it.

Oh, there's a slider for the lip....http://sim-uploads.blogspot.dk/2011...slider-yam.html
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 4th Apr 2015 at 7:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tigerdyhr
There's some clipping under his nose. You can remove it by adjusting his nose height until it goes away. To me he has a quite significant pout, which I don't see in the original. I would bring his entire mouth back a bit.

What I would *really* like to see, is a profile shot and a neutral shot, where he doesn't bend his neck. I'm sorta sitting here trying to look underneath the pictures, because I want to see what he looks like straight on. I know that's difficult, you might want to get a pose for it.

Oh, there's a slider for the lip....http://sim-uploads.blogspot.dk/2011...slider-yam.html

that lip slider isnt available for download anymore it seems and im like super unfamiliar with poses omgg

i never had any need for them but ill def work on adjusting his nose and his mouth for now though

hoo Dis
Instructor
#13 Old 5th Apr 2015 at 7:51 AM
Okay, I've looked like EVERYWHERE for the slider and I can't find a download that works. I'm unsure if I'm allowed to put it up here? Perhaps a moderator can clear that up for me?
Instructor
#14 Old 5th Apr 2015 at 12:35 PM Last edited by k2m1too : 5th Apr 2015 at 12:47 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by ApolloHerpDerp
that lip slider isnt available for download anymore it seems and im like super unfamiliar with poses omgg

i never had any need for them but ill def work on adjusting his nose and his mouth for now though

Crash course in photographing a sim:
  1. Install the pose player in your mods folder.
  2. Open your game.
  3. Paint a wall slightly off white.
  4. Move your sim up against the wall.
  5. Place hidden lights around your sim - one small on above and two small ones in a "V" arrangement in front of your sim. Make sure the sim's face is well lit.
  6. Add a poseplayer object to the lot (buy mode --> sort by function --> decor --> miscellaneous).
  7. In live mode, click on your sim and select "Photo Shooting"--> "Pose by Name" from the pie menu.
  8. In the dialog, enter (EXACTLY - it is case sensitive) a_simbin_simPose_neural01
  9. Zoom in on your sim's face (use cameraman mode).
  10. Take picture.

NOTE: The pose code listed above is a default EA base game pose. (it' one used to generate the thumbnails in your simbin).

Buydebug (hidden) lights
  • CTRL-SHIFT-C to open cheat console.
  • enter: testingcheatsenabled true
  • CTRL-SHIFT-C to open cheat console again.
  • enter: buydebug
  • go into buy mode-->sort by function.
  • There is a new tab with a "?" for the label. Click it and then click the tab "Misc. Objects".

Cameraman Mode

In live mode, Press TAB to enter cameraman mode.

Q - Lowers the camera
E - raises the camera
W - moves camera forward (or use your mouse)
S - moves camera backward (or use your mouse)
A - move camera left
D - move camera right
Z - zoom in
X - zoom out

SHIFT+A - Tilt camera left
SHIFT+D - Tilt camera right
Screenshots
Instructor
#15 Old 5th Apr 2015 at 3:32 PM
Wauw, that is super helpful and very well explained - see, you're brilliant at that! (she explained to me, how to make custom thumbnails for my CC eyebrows, and I actually got it on the first try!)

Tiny question - is "a_simbin_simPose_neural01" right, or should there be a "t" in it?
Instructor
#16 Old 5th Apr 2015 at 3:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tigerdyhr
Wauw, that is super helpful and very well explained - see, you're brilliant at that! (she explained to me, how to make custom thumbnails for my CC eyebrows, and I actually got it on the first try!)

Tiny question - is "a_simbin_simPose_neural01" right, or should there be a "t" in it?

Awww! That is very kind of you to say! (And I'm glad my crash course in thumbnailing was helpful to you too!)

Yes "a_simbin_simPose_neural01" is correct. You would think that it *should* be "neutral", but it's clearly a typo on EA's part in naming their own pose.
Instructor
#17 Old 5th Apr 2015 at 6:35 PM
Haha, okay Lazy EA