Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 5:39 PM
Default Palm Isle V2.0
I made a challenge last year called Palm Isle, I even made a little world for it. It wasn't the best, but it was my first ever world so I can live with the awful.
Palm Isle V1 Images

Anyway, I decided to try again, since I'm a bit better with the program. It's not yet got spawner's or lots yet but I wanted to see what people thought of the general look of the island, before I go further. (Forgive the uncropped CAW images, my photo editor is being glitchy)

"Fear is only in our minds. But it takes over all the time."
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 7:34 PM
I can really see the potential in this! What sorts of spawners will you be adding and is it possible to fish around the island? :-)

Building a Middle Earth world for Sims 3 sims3medieval.tumblr.com/tagged/CAWLOTR :-)
Do you have a simblr? If so, I would love to connect :-) http://sims3medieval.tumblr.com/
Scholar
#3 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 4:09 AM
Great start! To make it more natural looking, you might want to "clump" some of the trees or move them about so that they don't look so symmetrical, evenly spaced, and "planted".
Instructor
#4 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 8:44 AM
Try to do a bit landscaping: there are CAW tutorials out there, painting the shoreside sand with a darker sand really helps! Some patches of grass under trees would be great as well, so as to make the island mroe natural looking. I second SimmyRN's suggestion to move the trees. You can add in some other shrubbies too.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 6:46 PM
I've played with the trees around a bit this morning, moved them around a little and added a new cluster. For some reason I didn't take any aerial shots only sim level shots but they give off a good idea of gameplay view.

Also the ground is a mixture of dry grass and sand. I took a closer image so people could see it more clearly as it's not really visable in the images.

Scholar
#6 Old 28th Feb 2015 at 9:09 PM
The trees look better! Wet sand is darker than dry sand so I think what they are talking about is darkening the sand from slightly above where the water meets the sand down into the water. Adding the "waves" effects would be nice, if you have them in CAW. (I don't know if they are base game or associated with an expansion pack.) You might consider adding some other plants and/or rocks to decorate your island. Good work!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Mar 2015 at 9:21 PM
Default Update

New terrain colour, more trees and a 25x25 lot added. Rocks have been added but I'm still playing with their positions and I'll probably change the bushes, they don't seem to flatter.

Instructor
#8 Old 4th Mar 2015 at 8:15 AM
If you can, use a variety of bushes. And try to add some grass underneath trees / bush (as you can expect in real life, there are weeds or plants relying on the larger species to grow), and then some dirt near the root, it doesn't have to make the island all grassy, just blended patches will do. And I do agree with the darker, wet sand thing. It will look great indeed. Waves effects are Basegame so you'll have them (as in Sunset Valley).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 8:47 PM
Default With the bushes?

Bushes and Grass or just the grass? Also added 8 (maybe 9) Ocean spawners too.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 1:58 PM
I'm quite happy with this guy, I'm going to test it in game now to check accessibility to seed/fish spawners. Also check to make sure it doesn't glitch for some unknown reason like the last one did...

Anyhoo, if you see anything you think should be edited/changed in the images above please tell me. I would like this to be accepted on this site.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 8:42 PM

Sim to plant height reference for you. If there is no suggested edits in the next few days I'll try to upload.

Lab Assistant
#12 Old 6th Mar 2015 at 9:21 PM
The only suggestion I would have to give you is "Upload it!". I've never posted message on this topic before, but I have to say it is very good.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 11th Mar 2015 at 5:26 PM
Just submitted this guy to MTS hopefully it'll be approved.