Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 9:39 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
Default the game crashes causing shutdowns/poweroff
hi i'm a newbie here and my life is miserable rite now having to deal with all the TS3 crashes.
i first ran it nicely. then it started crashing whenever i attempted to create a sims. it would turn all black and the power go off after 5 secs or so.
then things worked ok like nothing ever happened (???) until recently when i tried to move my Sim to another lot. it would crash rite when i arrive at the new lot - again causing my laptop to "black out" and then shut off after a few secs.
whenever i restart my laptop again after blacking out, my display settings are all off place and my resolution goes back to 600x800.

also, after researching around, i tried to upgrade my graphic card - NIDVIA 9600M GT - but i can't install it having a message popping up "yours is not a vista-32" or something like that. but i checked my display settings and it does say 32bits. are they the same thing?

i really wanna play this game, but i'd prefer to keep my laptop alive. as some mods have suggested that it could be a drivers problem, which could potentially be a severe damage if kept trying... I still have warranty with the manufacturer, should i bring my laptop back there?

here's my specs:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 7/1/2009, 01:17:31
Machine name: NHON-DE-COCO
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090302-1506)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 4092MB RAM
Page File: 1611MB used, 6765MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode.
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 9600M GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0649&SUBSYS_30F4103C&REV_A1
Display Memory: 2283 MB
Dedicated Memory: 493 MB
Shared Memory: 1790 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: nvd3dum,nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2um, nvwgf2umx.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.0011.7553 (English)
DDI Version: 10
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 5/13/2008 19:09:00, 5545984 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4509-11CF-0D6E-FF1001C2CA35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0649
SubSys ID: 0x30F4103C
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 1:19 PM
I've split off this post into a separate thread, as each crashing issue of this sort is unique.

This is a graphics crash - and as your graphics card isn't terrible, it's likely that some other factor is contributing.

Please update your drivers: Game Help:Graphics Cards#Downloading New Graphics Driverswiki - was this what you were trying to do before? If so, it sounds like you downloaded the wrong drivers.

Then use this program to find out what temperature your laptop is running at - take one screenshot of what it says when you're not doing much with the laptop; then run TS3 for as long as you think you can without it crashing, and take another screenshot of HWmonitor. Post both the screenshots here.

Before we go on, though, I will say this - TS3 is a very high stress game, it takes a fairly powerful computer to run it. Very few laptops can cope, and I wouldn't even want to try it on my notebook - notebooks just aren't designed for this sort of thing. I'd be scared it'd burst into flames (metaphorically speaking). While we should be able to work out what's causing your issue, we probably won't be able to suggest a fix.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 11:44 PM
This is a graphics crash - and as your graphics card isn't terrible, it's likely that some other factor is contributing.

Then use this program to find out what temperature your laptop is running at - take one screenshot of what it says when you're not doing much with the laptop; then run TS3 for as long as you think you can without it crashing, and take another screenshot of HWmonitor. Post both the screenshots here.

Before we go on, though, I will say this - TS3 is a very high stress game, it takes a fairly powerful computer to run it. Very few laptops can cope, and I wouldn't even want to try it on my notebook - notebooks just aren't designed for this sort of thing. I'd be scared it'd burst into flames (metaphorically speaking). While we should be able to work out what's causing your issue, we probably won't be able to suggest a fix.[/QUOTE]

i tried to run the CPUID but then everything froze >"< and there's a message saying "failed"... i dont really wanna put my laptop to freeze anymore again

i played TS1 + 2 with all the expansion packs just fine, on the same laptop that is. also mine runs Red Alert and Cherico ( i dont really know the name since it's my bf's game ) just fine too. and nothing seems to be the problem with TS3 until i moved my Sim to the new lot. i think the reason y it crashed at first was of overheating. then i bought the cooler and things moved on perfectly until the stupid attempt to move my Sim
shiny!
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 12:21 AM
HWmonitor will not cause your computer to lock up unless there's something else seriously wrong with it. Are you saying you tried to play the game with it running and it locked up? If so then the program has nothing to do with the lockup. If it locked up immediately after running it then it's either a coincidence and/or connected to a very serious computer issue.

Your specs are ok for the game but that particular laptop is notorious for running hot/overheating. You should get up to date drivers direct from HP and you don't want to check temps then you should assume you need to bring them down, considering the history of that model. Placing the laptop on a wire cookie rack (something like the third photo on this site: http://www.applepiepatispate.com/am...rownie-cookies/) has been known to help. It's still best if you check temps, especially if your laptop is under warranty.

In fact, if you're under warranty I'd say get your laptop serviced while it's still free. The problem you are describing has to do with your computer and not directly with the game.