Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 3:51 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Create a World Tool Search Crash
For the longest time (a few years or so) I have had this one issue over and over with the Create a World Tool...
The tool loads up just fine (takes a long time, but that is likely due to the amount of content the poor thing has to load) and it saves just fine. While it is open, it runs smooth and relatively flawlessly...
However, whenever I use the search function to start placing items, it will randomly crash. The program itself stays open (and I can continue working, and saving) but the search field shows a large red x and disables. The only way to fix it is to close the program and reopen, but, as I have said, I can at least still save before closing and reopening.
I would think that this is due to the mods (I have over 3 million .package files), but that would cause a crash on specific items, not random. For example, it crashed just a bit ago on me when I was searching "sign" then "bridge". I had "sign" in the search bar, then hit backspace to erase it and type in "bridge" and it crashed when I got it down to "si". If there is an item that it attempts to search for, but can't, it would also crash when I first attempted to search "sign" before I was able to get to the "g", but it doesn't. Also, if it is a memory issue, such as hitting the limit on RAM it can use for searching, it would simply disable the search function, it would only delay, or it would crash the entire program.
I have been having this one issue for the past few years and just never knew why. I had it on multiple computers, with multiple different installs and versions. Is this a known thing? I can't find anything on it from the internet. Also, does anyone know why it does this? A fix would be nice, but at this point, I am used to it. It just bothers me to keep having the issue and not know anything as to the fundamental reasons for it.
Any information is appreciated!
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 6:56 AM
Don't hit backspace in the search bar. Use the little x to the right to clear the field, then type again. This solved the issue for me for the most part. The search is buggy however, so it will crash from time to time.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 7:34 AM
Yes, that's what I found too- it's a bug and seemed to happen to me whether I was working on a large or small project, with or without mods.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 8:31 AM
So, basically, it is a common, random bug that no one knows the cause of?
Kinda what I expected to hear. Well, thank you for the responses.
As for using the "x" to clear my search, I still have the crashes. I never really did measure them to find out how long it takes to happen, as I simply continue working when it does. Usually, I will get some roads built in a large area, then place signs, bridges, walls, etc. and that is when the crash happens. I simply continue working on the roads in the next area. With not measuring, the crashes still seem just as random with backspacing or not. I have found that it seems to have a "% chance" to crash for each different term (so, every time a character is added or removed). A way to be able to search more with a lower chance of a crash would be to enter multiple characters at the exact same time. I sometimes use "Sticky Notes" and write my search onto it, then copy it, highlight my current search term, and paste (don't "clear" or use the backspace) so that the removing of the entire first term, and the placing of the entire second, is only one change, and therefore, you only get that chance of a crash once. For example, from "sign" to "bridge" is 10 total different terms: "sign", "sig", "si", "s"... If you copy/paste, it goes directly, so it is only one change! This may be as close to a "fix" as possible. Hope that can help someone...
Using the clear is a less tedious option (don't have to use a text program) and cuts that crash chance in half.
Test Subject
#5 Old 26th Nov 2017 at 12:52 AM
I had the same problem and found out that for me the metadata search crashes generally when I type in letter b or c, I have then on searched for example bridges with "ridge" only and it has not crashed so far. I also found a thread about people having the same problem (https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/di...ching-metadata). Backspace has not crashed the tab for me even if I hit it 10 seconds in a row. I am quite careful when I type there cause I probably haven't used all the letters so there might be some more surprises there. I do run CAW is 1.67 patch level so if the version you're talking about is the another patch, then it might be something else of course.