Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Dec 2018 at 9:00 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Will macOS update 10.14.2 break my game ?
Hello fellow Mac users ! Mojave has alerted me that my Sims 3 game is too old for his taste and could stop working at any time if it doesn't get updated (yeah I think EA will start updating their old games right now ).
Are we all Mojave users-slash-Sim players living on borrowed time ? Or is the alert useless ?
Has anyone here updated to 10.14.2 and is still alive to tell the tale ?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3 Old 14th Dec 2018 at 11:00 AM Last edited by igazor : 14th Dec 2018 at 11:11 AM.
We're talking about a "point level" update here, so that's bug fixes, security patches, and the occasional new feature added, not the next version of the operating system. I'm still on High Sierra as my iMac won't run Mojave due to its age (I prefer to think of that as due to its "maturity") and haven't gotten around to upgrading my laptop.

High Sierra was supposed to be the final OS to run 32-bit applications on the Mac OS but Apple issued a stay of execution order. If the game runs on 10.14 or 10.14.1, then the .2 update will be fine. What the warning means is that when the next OS comes out, so presumably 10.15 but not yet named, then that will be the end of TS3 for Mac and any other 32-bit only applications for those who stay current with operating systems. Bootcamp users who run the Windows version of the game on Mac hardware will not be affected. Yes, the likelihood of EA producing a 64-bit version of TS3 for Mac at this point would be somewhere between none and none.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 14th Dec 2018 at 7:38 PM Last edited by igazor : 15th Dec 2018 at 12:39 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
lol well all the little smurfs giving me disagrees will be the same ones posting for help in the help forum when things go wrong and then i'll be telling them the same damn thing over and over again "did you update anything recently?"

i mean seriously? even when Apple was found deliberately slowing down iPhones with each update you kids still just let everything autoupdate?

If I have a dime for every single time I help resolve an issue in the help forum by simply asking them to roll-back some recently updated driver, I can retire and live in Malibu by now.

I don't usually admit this because I so rarely use negative reaction buttons, but I was one of the ones who Disagreed. Thanks for indirectly calling me a "kid" and a "little smurf." I like kids and little smurfs, and think I might look pretty good with a more blueish complexion and have been meaning to try that out, so am not totally offended.

Really though Nitromon, unless I've been missing something your intersection with the Mac OS for desktop by way of your own admissions seems to have been more episodic than constant. It's not the same environment as Windows.

The best practice with Mac OS updates is to wait a bit and see if there are any reports of issues. Serious ones on the desktop systems are rare and do tend to be followed by a further update or a retraction fix pretty quickly. But then in the absence of such reports, go ahead and update. No one said anything about automatic, processing those point update things ties up our Macs for quite a while (can be 20-30 mins or more in my case and that's not because of slow downloads) so it's not like I would want that interfering with daily operations. But remember that many of us are not running with formal third party anti-virus products on the Mac side as are so often required on Windows, so we do rely on Apple to keep our system security and mostly theoretical exploit blocks, to the extent that they are needed, up to date and our other Apple based products like Safari and iTunes need to stay in sync with the systems they are meant to be running on.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Dec 2018 at 8:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
We're talking about a "point level" update here, so that's bug fixes, security patches, and the occasional new feature added, not the next version of the operating system. I'm still on High Sierra as my iMac won't run Mojave due to its age (I prefer to think of that as due to its "maturity") and haven't gotten around to upgrading my laptop.

High Sierra was supposed to be the final OS to run 32-bit applications on the Mac OS but Apple issued a stay of execution order. If the game runs on 10.14 or 10.14.1, then the .2 update will be fine. What the warning means is that when the next OS comes out, so presumably 10.15 but not yet named, then that will be the end of TS3 for Mac and any other 32-bit only applications for those who stay current with operating systems. Bootcamp users who run the Windows version of the game on Mac hardware will not be affected. Yes, the likelihood of EA producing a 64-bit version of TS3 for Mac at this point would be somewhere between none and none.

Thank you for your answer ! In any case i'm doing a Time Machine before. I've got a Bootcamp partition too, but I rarely use it except for games like Skyrim that are not compatible