Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 5:28 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Question about Apartments
I was experimenting with command delete all characters, which appears to be very unstable, this was just out of curiosity. I've read that this is the safest approach to keeping your Neighbourhood intact rather than deleting the character folder, although i don't see there being much of a difference. When the command is used, all lots are empty but, the apartments appear to have an occupied status even though they are empty! If you had a scenario where you wanted to archive an empty neighbourhood this wouldn't work so well for apartments. The question is. would it be possible to set the status of the Apartment back to a resident status and then back to apartment?
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 6:43 PM
The delete all characters cheat is not good to use as it causes some problems and all sorts of detritus such as character stubs.

Best to use the 'Deleted II' method from Moreawesomethanyou if you really need to delete, or better still kill the sim, or else prevent it from being there at all by using empty templates.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 6:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
The delete all characters cheat is not good to use as it causes some problems and all sorts of detritus such as character stubs.

Best to use the 'Deleted II' method from Moreawesomethanyou if you really need to delete, or better still kill the sim, or else prevent it from being there at all by using empty templates.

I had assumed as much. Picture this scenario. What if i was to evict and then delete the sim from the bin section, then use that command. Would it still hold sim data? If it does, that would mean the lot partially contains character data of memories at all times.
Regarding the other method, i will try this out. Is it actually named 'Deleted II?' Or is there another name.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 7:45 PM
Never delete sims from the family bin. That will cause instant neighborhood corruption. It's better to kill the sim and put its grave on some lot you'll never visit.

If you must delete them, the Deleted 2 procedure is at the following link. You'll need Pescado's lot debugger (aka batbox). "Do not use on any sims with relatives, businesses or any other special value."

The screenshots are from an older version of SimPE. I don't know if that will make a difference since I don't use the advanced functions.
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,6205.0.html
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 9:03 PM
Sounds like the delete sim option should never of been in the game. Was there ever a legit purpose for deleting from the sims bin?
I've read somewhere that the corruption already affect the premade characters the very moment you begin a new neighbourhood. The corruption mainly affects the Goths, which makes me wonder weather Bella was deleted the same way.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 9:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jasmini
Sounds like the delete sim option should never of been in the game.

It doesn't completely delete- to complete the process you'd need to open SimPE and remove all SDSCs, SWAFs, SDNAs, and SCORs.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 10:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
It doesn't completely delete- to complete the process you'd need to open SimPE and remove all SDSCs, SWAFs, SDNAs, and SCORs.

Would you believe me if i told you i have 9100+ sims? Even SimPE can't open the neighbourhood, it freaks out and runs out of memory. The other alternative was to use sim retriever and salvage and migrate them to a clean neighbourhood. But even that couldn't handle it, although i believe it was meant to be used to recover sims and add them back in the neighbourhood.
My biggest mistake was not using no townie regen sooner, but it wouldn't kick in. It has to be used on a brand new Neighbourhood, which is my current dilemma.
That was why i was hoping for a nuke button and keep the neighbourhood intact. Initially i was going to evict everyone from apartments only,send them to the Sims bin and use the Delete All characters. So i'm not deleting them from the bin, but im deleting them overall with that one command with all in the bin.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 10:20 PM
They probably said above, but never ever delete sims Nuke that hood and start over.

Deleting sims includes from the bin, graves, pets, that cheat of course, but also NPC creating mods or moving sims between hoods. Once a sim is in your hood you either keep it or kill it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 11:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jasmini
Would you believe me if i told you i have 9100+ sims? Even SimPE can't open the neighbourhood, it freaks out and runs out of memory.

So what are you trying to achieve exactly? If you just want a fresh, clean version of the neighbourhood you are playing then clone it using Mootilda's Hood Replace.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=468987
Mad Poster
#10 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 11:52 PM
As far as the actual question about apartments goes (you'll find that the words "delete" and "character" in the same sentence sparks a Pavolovian reaction in us), yes, you can change the lot zoning of apartments back and forth.

First, move all the playables out. Enter the apartment lot, open the cheat window, and type in "Change lot zoning residential." Save. Get out.
Re-enter the lot. You will find that all the build/buy options are now available and that the apartment mailbox has been replaced by a residential one. Make any changes you wish to your apartment. If you wish to use an editing tool, such as SimPE or the Lot Adjuster, you may now do so normally. This is the point at which you would clean out sim references, and is the only way to make any permanent changes to the lot which will be recognized during play.

Once all your changes have been made, save, open the cheat window again, and type in "change lot zoning apartmentbase." Check that your residential mailbox has been changed back to an apartment. Save. Exit, and move a sim in to test.

It is very easy to mess up an apartment build, so you may have to repeat the procedure a few times, especially until you get the hang of it.

One common glitch that arises during play with apartments is that moved-out playables will continue to hang around the lot when you play other families who live there. Their apartment interior will be visible from the other lot, also. If this happens, activate the move_objects on cheat, go into buy mode, and delete each moved-out tenant. When you're done, the apartment interior will disappear and a new townie will move in. This form of deletion is not the one that gets our panties in a twist, because it deals only with the copy of the character generated by the game for use when playing other units, not with any of the character data. Make sure you get this distinction clear in your mind, and never ever delete a character with any cheat other than move_objects on!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)