Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Dec 2018 at 7:33 PM
Default Top hat textures
I'm in the process of recoloring a top hat from the Vampries GP using a glitter texture in an effort to recreate Columbia's hat from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I am having a lot of trouble with seams. I've tried coloring the edges of the 2-D map different colors and then looking to see where those colors line up. Doing that I've managed to map out a few problem areas, but right in the middle on the back of the hat I have a glaring vertical seam running down to the hatband. None of my efforts to find the two edges that meet there have been successful. I was hoping that somebody here who is more experienced in clothing recolors could help identify the problem area. I have been using clone-stamp to fix what seams I can locate. If that is not the best procedure, I'm open to learning a better way. At this point I'm basically self-taught. As we all know, that means I have a fool for a master.
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 27th Dec 2018 at 8:24 PM
We need to either have your package (which would be best) or see screenshots of the problem and of your texture and uv map in order to give you any advice.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Dec 2018 at 8:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
We need to either have your package (which would be best) or see screenshots of the problem and of your texture and uv map in order to give you any advice.

Sorry, I realized I forgot to upload the package file.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  columbiahat.zip (50.0 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 29th Dec 2018 at 3:16 PM
It's just a matter of matching the texture at the seam, which is what you've been doing, but there's a better and easier way. If you look at the uv map you can see where the ends of the map meet at that seam:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N...cjgtiH-0R_2N8d9

I selected and copied the left side of the texture, flipped it horizontally, and pasted it on the right side:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12...Am0u2DMeYo5ydN9

And smoothed out the line at the end where the texture didn't match on the right. Now it looks fine in preview.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p...AMFOn3vHA_CQeWY

I can't test in-game since I don't have the Vampire pack, so please let me know if it's okay. I attached the .dds texture in case you want to just use it.

Fixed .dds texture

(Uploading attachments doesn't seem to be working right now so I used Google Drive.)

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Dec 2018 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
It's just a matter of matching the texture at the seam, which is what you've been doing, but there's a better and easier way. If you look at the uv map you can see where the ends of the map meet at that seam:

I selected and copied the left side of the texture, flipped it horizontally, and pasted it on the right side:

And smoothed out the line at the end where the texture didn't match on the right. Now it looks fine in preview.

I can't test in-game since I don't have the Vampire pack, so please let me know if it's okay. I attached the .dds texture in case you want to just use it.

Fixed .dds texture

(Uploading attachments doesn't seem to be working right now so I used Google Drive.)

I didn't even give a thought to the UV map. This is my first real experience in making game textures for any game I've ever modded. Paintings are easy, clothing isn't. Thanks for showing me where I messed up and how to fix it. Thank you even more for fixing it for me! I'll try to recreate what you did on my own, but if I can't it's nice to have a working texture.