Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 1:42 AM
Is It OK to Have Multiple Rabbit Holes of the Same Type?
Would having more than one rabbit hole of a certain type cause problems? I've heard of players adding multiple school rabbit holes without issues; what about other rabbit hole types, like bookstores, for instance?

Own Grandma's Canning Station? Check out the Canning Station Overhaul.
Like doing laundry? Check out the Infinite Laundry Buffs Fix.
Advertisement
Site Helper
#3 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 3:52 AM
In fact, if you buy the cemetery, the only way to get it to level 3 is to add a second mausoleum.
(Ok, I'm not going to guarantee that this got tested by EA playtesters before release... but I've not had much trouble with having the second mausoleum other than trying to figure out which one the new graves went to.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#4 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 6:55 AM Last edited by igazor : 12th Dec 2017 at 7:10 AM.
No Douglas Adams fans here? Apparently the economy of a world reaches a pinnacle when every single commercial venue becomes a shoe store. All of them. Okay, so we don't have shoe store rabbit holes to work with exactly, so how about Day Spas?
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 7:52 AM
Thanks for all the reassuring replies so far. More questions:

1. How would career/job assignments work? Would the game automatically distribute all the, for example, spa jobs around to all the spa rabbit holes, or assign them all to just one rabbit holes? Can the player choose which spa rabbit hole their active sim works at?

2. How would this affect opportunities? Would all the opportunities show up only at one rabbit hole?

3. Would even multiple city hall rabbit holes be OK?

dodgy builder
#7 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 9:45 AM
You have to make sure you test it.

There is a list somewhere about how many npc's and townies a world need with all the exp packs. It's a fixed number. I don't know if having more of each kind of rabbithole increases that number. As I said, make sure you test it.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 12:49 PM
It's fine to have more than one of each type of rabbit hole with one on each lot in a town except for city hall and I just get sims to take jobs at the one closest to where they're living though they'll change jobs if they moved far from their old starter to their new home and it's not close enough to the job to continue in the same job.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 2:55 PM
As a more serious example than my shoe stores, think of Bistros (the rabbit hole kind) and Diners. Many EA worlds have one of each already and the Culinary career is hosted at both of them. It doesn't cause a problem, but the sims who work in one location cannot suddenly show up for work at the other without transferring jobs.

I've never played with multiple City Halls. It seems like that could cause issues, but I believe other players have reported that it's fine for them.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 5:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaiko Espurr Mikkusu
Molly, Jared, and Emma often switch between working at the bistrĂ² and diner between days. If you have a sim in the culinary career, those three will be working in whatever rabbithole your sim went to work.

That hasn't been my experience. The only time I've seen assigned sims switch working locations is when I've removed the rabbithole lot that they were originally working at. But maybe I've been missing something and it does make sense if the game is calling or looking around for suitable co-workers and a boss; doesn't seem all that important though if their career progress is maintained.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 12th Dec 2017 at 5:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Butterbot
Would having more than one rabbit hole of a certain type cause problems? I've heard of players adding multiple school rabbit holes without issues; what about other rabbit hole types, like bookstores, for instance?

Sometimes you want more than one rabbit hole, especially schools. Too many children can cause the rabbit hole to do bad things if the children can't get in through the door. I forget what the bad thing is because first thing is do is bulldoze the school.

This is why when playing university, when all the other sims are there at the graduation, I kill a good number of them because they clog up the entrance. If your player sim can't get in, and this has happened to me more than once, the game doesn't give you a graduation trait. So, Sims must die! Also, I don't like seeing the same sims every time I go to university. If you kill a few, the game generates new ones.

Sims are better than us.
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 4:06 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Seems like the rabbit hole system is pretty flexible.

Mad Poster
#15 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 6:01 AM
I've seen the horrible things overcrowded schools can cause which is why I use a Mod to force children and kids to be enrolled manually before attending school and will add multiple schools when needed.I've had a child taken away from an inactive family because he couldn't enter the school and failed.It led to the save becoming very badly corrupted by the removal of the child.
Test Subject
#16 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 6:08 AM
I don't really see how it would harm anything in your game. The only thing it would kill is my sanity. By taking up all the space you could use for something better. If you have EPs there are so many community lots to be placed all around. I always run out of space and want to get rid of some of the rabbit hole buildings. It shouldn't hurt anything, though. It might make the game have a few hiccups, but that's really all I could vision happening.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 12:51 PM
I have two or three business lots in my world, no problems there. Though Sims may apply for a job at one place and end up working at a different one the next day, and then another entirely different one after that.
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
No Douglas Adams fans here? Apparently the economy of a world reaches a pinnacle when every single commercial venue becomes a shoe store. All of them. Okay, so we don't have shoe store rabbit holes to work with exactly, so how about Day Spas?

And Taco Bell was the only restaurant to survive the franchise wars. So, now all restaurants are Taco Bell.
Thank fuck we have the seashells.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#18 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 1:47 PM Last edited by igazor : 17th Dec 2017 at 2:14 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
And Taco Bell was the only restaurant to survive the franchise wars. So, now all restaurants are Taco Bell.
Thank fuck we have the seashells.

You know, I almost went with that one but I think it was done to death on a thread here some time ago much to the confusion of those who had no idea where the references were coming from and even with the seashells showing up as a visual clue in the ITF bathrooms.

By the way...GrijzePilion, you are fined five credits for repeated violations of the verbal morality statute.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 4:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
You know, I almost went with that one but I think it was done to death on a thread here some time ago much to the confusion of those who had no idea where the references were coming from and even with the seashells showing up as a visual clue in the ITF bathrooms.

That was probably me last time, too. I'm never above sneaking references in, no matter how lame and obscure and overused, and I've been waiting months for an opportunity to finally quote the famous Star Trek episode, "Darmok".

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#20 Old 18th Dec 2017 at 1:20 PM
As regards opportunities the game will chose the location randomly. The only issue I've seen there yet is that all rabbitholes seem to give you the special (yellow tinted) interaction option once you qualify for completion, but completion will only work at the rabbithole that issued the opportunity initially.

As an example take the "Oh My Ghost" opportunity in a town with two science labs. As soon as you have a gravestone in your inventory both rabbitholes offer to resurrect the ghost in the dialogue options but only the rabbithole that gave you the opportunity (visible from map view as a star tag) will properly resurrect the ghost. Once you've completed the opportunity, however, both science labs should be able to resurrect any future ghosts.