Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 3:49 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default How to stop NPCs spawning on unplayed community lots?
Sorry, I didn't really know what category to put this in.

Anyway, sometimes when I build a community lot, an NPC (like a bartender for example) will spawn and be there despite still being in build mode even though the community lot is unplayed and there are no sims in the neighbourhood. Is there a way to stop this? or at least, a list of objects that spawn NPCs so I know for future use? Thank you.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 4:15 AM
They spawn anytime a build mode lot goes live during saving. Why it does this occasionally we don't really know. The best thing to do is once the lot is finished to clean it of sim references in simPE. Chef stoves and hairdressing chairs seem to be the main offenders but any item that spawns an NPC can do it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 4:30 AM
Ah okay, I didn't realise that. I was just mostly worried about character data being made. Say, if I kept the character folder open during building, would that prevent characters from being created? I have a feeling I've read it somewhere but I can't remember exactly
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 5:12 AM
No that won't help, open or closed the game makes the NPC's when it detects an unowned community lot going live.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#5 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 3:08 PM
Everything begins to run it's Main op-code for a short amount when first created and when loading, most things begin with a short period of idle so nothing significant runs but some almost immediately generate the NPC they require (which may also create a 'Lot Familiar' token for that NPC).
Mad Poster
#6 Old 16th Dec 2017 at 3:44 PM
If you close the lot immediately without saving, then open it again, usually the NPC is gone and leaves no character data behind. You can use your character folder to make sure that this is the case - as long as it's empty, you're golden; and if you quit without saving, it's as if the character data was never there to start with.

This is one reason to back up your empty hoods every time you work on them - if you accidentally save with an NPC on a lot, it's not an empty neighborhood anymore, and if that's important, you'll have to revert to the most recent backup.

Any NPC generator is likely to do this, so - bars, DJ booths, restaurant stoves and podia, cash registers, coffee stands, any of that.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)