Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Dec 2017 at 1:31 PM Last edited by Aliena : 31st Dec 2017 at 5:51 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default I can't convert my residential lot to an apartment lot
I spent all of yesterday building and decorating a lot in my new custom neighborhood, only to receive the "Invalid apartment error" popup.I tried everything I could, from deleting the back doors connecting into the fenced backyard, deleting the fence doors on the front yard, and changing the fences surrounding the backyards.

I read another post that advised an user to post his lot in the "repair" section,but I can't find it. Can someone please link me to it, or provide some other solution?
Attached files:
File Type: zip  apartment screenshots.zip (2.22 MB, 21 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Pictures of the lot
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Dec 2017 at 1:52 PM
This would be a good place for this question:
http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=21

If you can post some plan view images of your lot, we can all take a look to see where the problem lies.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 30th Dec 2017 at 2:19 PM
Post large close-ups of your lot here.

Check that all your apartment doors are on the right way around.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Dec 2017 at 10:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Post large close-ups of your lot here.

Check that all your apartment doors are on the right way around.

What's the right way? Pointing out or pointing in?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 30th Dec 2017 at 11:38 PM
The mat needs to be outside the apartment. Also can you please delete your other thread, you do not need 2 on this same subject.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 31st Dec 2017 at 5:54 PM
Done. And added pictures of it. The lot has 4 apartment units in groups of two. Each group is a mirrored version of the other, so they are identical save for color palette.

All the front doors have their mats outside.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 31st Dec 2017 at 6:05 PM
You'll get more responses if you attach the pics to the post so we don't have to download and unzip to see them. It's hard to make out details in those pics, but I believe what you have here is two buildings on foundations with attached garages? That's probably the problem. Apartment code can be confused by having two buildings on foundations, and the garages are likely to be even more confusing.

It's possible there's something else I can't see, but that's my best guess from what I can see.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 31st Dec 2017 at 9:58 PM
@Aliena Please post the pictures directly to the thread. There are a couple of ways of doing this, but if your pictures are already hosted someplace like Flicker, go advanced>upload picture. or you can host them to MTS, go to modyourpanties. http://www.modyourpanties.com/ drop your photos in there and then grab the link that pops up, come here go advanced and right above you see some icons, find the blue square that says 'insert picture' when you hover over it. Click and paste into that. However, BMP is the wrong format (please change to jpg or png) and your pictures are too small and too far away. remove the grid line by pressing the 3 dots or swatch tool on your game.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 31st Dec 2017 at 11:50 PM Last edited by RoxEllen1965 : 1st Jan 2018 at 1:46 AM. Reason: Fixed misleading description of "hedge" fence to just fence
I think I see the problem. The backyards in the two lower units don't appear to be completely enclosed by the fence. If you have back yards like this on an apartment lot, they must be totally closed off from other apartments, common areas, etc. - NO garden gates, back doors, open spaces etc. The only way into or out of any part of any apartment MUST be through ONLY ONE "Unique Separator" apartment door. Close off all the backyards and that should help.
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 12:21 AM
Backyards must be fully enclosed by a fence to be considered 'a room' of the unit, unless it's common area. Hedge does not count.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Jan 2018 at 1:21 AM
Thank you for all your help!

After 15 minutes tinkering with everything, from deleting the garage doors to changing the fences in the backyards, I found the problem:

One of the doors leading into the backyard was facing the wrong way.

It cost me two days of troubleshooting that precious lot. lol