Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 10:10 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Simpliacity hair not showing up
Hi! So, I got in a downloading spree and of course afterwards I got into bodyshop to check all of my downloads were okay with their respective meshes. However, I realized one of the hairs I downloaded didn't appear as such even though I had the mesh. I'm specifically speaking about this one http://paranoia0612.tumblr.com/post...e-original-mesh. The hair just appeared as maxis hair, even though I checked and even put the files again to replace the others in case that was the problem. Regardless, the hair doesn't appear. What could be the problem? Do I need another files? It's an edited version of a longer hair, this: http://www.mybsims.net/t20860-3t2-s...iaty-nightshade to be more specific. Do I have to download that one too? Thanks for any advice!

What's the point?
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 10:48 PM
That mesh file is corrupt or wrong. Doesn't look like a mesh file at all. There's no mesh in it at all (GMDC). Or a Shape/Cres or GMND. There's actually apparently nothing in there (that SimPE can show anyway).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 10:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
That mesh file is corrupt or wrong. Doesn't look like a mesh file at all. There's no mesh in it at all (GMDC). Or a Shape/Cres or GMND. There's actually apparently nothing in there (that SimPE can show anyway).

I didn't understand a thing of what you put Is there any way to fix it? I'm not really into making CC, sometimes I did clothes for an androgynous character of mine but I had a mesh so it wasn't hard doing that on paint.net. But I really want that hair so if I have to learn those scientific terms to fix it I will!

What's the point?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 11:07 PM
Try with the one from MYB, it's got all the mesh parts (for tf through af/ef, anyway).

Could be a compression issue - the compression size for the one in the first download is 50kb, the other is around 1000 kb.

The creator of the hair did say it's an "alpha edit" which usually means it's a texture edit, so the mesh probably works fine.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 11:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Try with the one from MYB, it's got all the mesh parts (for tf through af/ef, anyway).

Could be a compression issue - the compression size for the one in the first download is 50kb, the other is around 1000 kb.

The creator of the hair did say it's an "alpha edit" which usually means it's a texture edit, so the mesh probably works fine.

Mmm weird, 'cause both meshes, for me, appear with the same size (2,33MB), I'm gonna enter bodyshop now and tell you if it worked^^

What's the point?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 11:19 PM
When you extract them they seemingly look the same and have the same size - but they do appear different under "compressed" when viewing them in the archive program. They also look very different in SimPE.

Which is weird, because they've got the same date stamps and everything. Usually one file is older than the other, but that's not the case here.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 11:43 PM
Yay it worked! Thanks for all your help <333 Tho i still don't understand much how it works. Can a mesh be defected? I didn't know that. Neither the compressing issue D:
Screenshots

What's the point?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#8 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 2:52 AM
It looks like compressing it altered the resources sufficiently that neither the game nor SimPE could read them properly. No idea tbh. But thanks for the insight Simmer22 - that's something to look out for. I'm not too much of a fan of compressing stuff other than textures.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 12:49 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 30th Sep 2018 at 12:44 AM.
I haven't seen this issue happen with the Compressorizer before. No idea what caused it, but the issue seems to only be apparent in the zip files. I've used the Compressorizer for quite some time, and this is the first time I've seen something like this.

The original files aren't compressed with the Compressorizer (probably just directly from Bodyshop), but the files in the recolor set seem to be.
(red=recolor set, green=original set)

There's also a possibility the creator used the inbuilt SimPE compressing function, and that caused the issue?
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 9:13 PM
I haven't seen this issue happen with the Compressorizer before. No idea what caused it, but the issue seems to only be apparent in the zip files. I've used the Compressorizer for quite some time, and this is the first time I've seen something like this.

The original files aren't compressed with the Compressorizer (probably just directly from Bodyshop), but the files in the recolor set seem to be.
(red=recolor set, green=original set)

There's also a possibility the creator used the inbuilt SimPE compressing function, and that caused the issue?

Weird. Tho I still don't understand much about this because I've never compressed any of my files (but I read it helps reduce hard drive space, is that true?), I think that's the closest expanation, considering that SimPE was released later and thus was developed having more information about the game; but that's just my thought. Honestly I was thinking about using the compressorizer because I tend to get into downloads spree so easily, specially for hair and clothing (jesus christ I can't resist AlwaysSims clothing) so I think it would be good for my laptop to reduce that space!

What's the point?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 9:51 PM
Yup, it reduces the amount of harddrive space files use, and files often end up being less an half the size, maybe as little as 1/3 or 1/4. I only compress meshes and textures (because most items that include either a mesh or textures can be quite large, and I've got very little space on my laptop), not mods or other files I'm unsure of.

I think SimPE and the Compressorizer compress in different ways. So far I've not seen any bugs with the files I've compressed.

I don't know if compressing things twice can be bad (I've done it several times and haven't seen any bugs with it), but to be on the safe side if I'm unsure whether files are already compressed, I'll copy the files to a new folder, and compress. If they don't change size they've previously been compressed, and I'll just delete them and use the original ones.

Meshes can actually take up a lot of space, and the more polys the bigger they tend to be, so it doesn't hurt to compress these as well (with the sole exception of the file above? But honestly I don't think that file went through the Compressorizer since the original file got smaller and didn't get borked).
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 9:57 PM
Maybe it got compressed by two different methods then Simmer22? As you say, something about the compression seems to be the problem.

Hammyx - compressing stuff used to be more of a thing when people's systems has less disk space and operating memory than they tend to nowadays. It's become less of an issue unless, like Simmer22, you have limitations with the system you're using. In which case, compressing stuff makes sense.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 10:02 PM
I may give it a shot then! Rather than limitations, I like saving up space in my HDD (I don't know why, if it's here it's for a reason; I have 931 GB and I have 697 free, but I still don't want to use that space lol) and since it's a laptop I think it may help in performance ^^ Yeah, the sims 2 is such an old game but honestly that just pushes me to wanting to play it more and more I didn't even think SimPE could compress files, i feel so dumb xD I also never used the compressorizer because I'm scared it may damage something and I may never be able to enter the game again D:

What's the point?
Mad Poster
#14 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 10:05 PM
The funny thing is, the files from the original creator, including the mesh, weren't compressed with the Compressorizer - and the mesh file had the exact same time stamp as the borked file, which doesn't happen if the file is compressed (it always gets a new time stamp). The original non-borked mesh reduced from 2 to 1 MB, which shows it didn't go through the Compressorizer before being uploaded, while the borked file didn't reduce in size at all, and had some strange resources in it. The bug showed in the zip file (zip files compress the files, and can sometimes cause borkage, but I wouldn't think it would cause bugs in the internal file resources) and made the file uncompressable.

I have no clue what happened to the borked mesh file, but I'm reasonably sure the Compressorizer won't normally cause an issue like this, if it was involved at all. I've compressed quite a lot of files lately, and I've never seen that bug happen with any of the files. I'd go as far as to say I've never seen any bugs happen with the Compressorizer - not on the files I've put through it, anyway.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 10:21 PM
That means the problem is simply that SimPE and the Compressorizer work in different ways, tho since I'm a newbie in this I don't know why, yet it makes sense. Since I have never seen the need to use them (till now and it's more like a whim rather than a need : P) I don't understand completely xD I just remember one time using SimPE to make some jeans available for AF because they were only for AM and I was making a tomboy character and those jeans were perfect *-* but I forgot how to do it lmao and the hips were with a line, the torso was flying, in other words. At least it wasn't noticeable, because she was wearing a large hoodie xD So if i use the compressorizer for all my downloads folder will that help? Because I have no subfolders whatsoever, I always download something, extract it, and then delete the rar or zip. My folder is a mess : P But a beautiful one

What's the point?
Mad Poster
#16 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 11:08 PM
Some compress their DL folder, but I'd advice you not to do it all in a go (not without doing a backup first). Some mods/hacks may not be adviceable to compress, and some creators compress their files before uploading.

If you have a lot of space on your computer, you don't really need to compress everything - but you may want to start compress new items you download if the files are big.

Keeping your files organized is a very good idea, because then you have more control over what's mods/hacks, clothes, furniture, etc. and it's easier to find problem content or to remove CC you no longer want to keep.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 11:46 PM
Some compress their DL folder, but I'd advice you not to do it all in a go (not without doing a backup first). Some mods/hacks may not be adviceable to compress, and some creators compress their files before uploading.

If you have a lot of space on your computer, you don't really need to compress everything - but you may want to start compress new items you download if the files are big.

Keeping your files organized is a very good idea, because then you have more control over what's mods/hacks, clothes, furniture, etc. and it's easier to find problem content or to remove CC you no longer want to keep.

Okay I'm scared, I'm not doing anything lmao In the meantime, I was unparking my CPU's cores with a guide I found here https://www.modthesims.info/showthr...5#startcomments. Actually my game seems to have improved but just a little bit (or that's what I think, it's almost the same as before) tho the camera is smoother. However when I tried changing the makeup with the mirror it crashed x'D tbh that doesn't worry me because I know it's a one-time thing (it's happened before, and the second time I did it, it didn't crash) and to make a sim look bruised or something I prefer doing the sim in bodyshop with that makeup instead of going to the mirror as I know that's overwhelming for my laptop. Letting this aside, I doubt I'll be able to organize my folder, I have like 31k files and I don't have the patience to do that kind of stuff and since I do machinimas, "everything" may be useful to me (probably my biggest excuse to keeping those beautiful dresses I know I will never use)

What's the point?