Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 5:58 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Memory leaks
Okay, after playing Sims 2 for a while, it's pretty obvious that the game has some HUGE memory leaks. I've found, for example, that if I play too many lots in one sitting, the game starts getting really slow. And heaven help me if anything ever catches on fire, because then the game slows to a snail's pace, and doesn't stop even after the fire is put out. The only thing that fixes the problem is quitting the game and restarting it.

Has anyone ever considered, or does one already exist, making a mod that fixes these memory leaks? I have no experience with modding, so I have no idea how hard that would be, but it's getting really annoying and I'm just curious if there's a fix out there somewhere. >_>
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 4:26 PM
The game slowing down as you play and when things catch fire is not normal. I have never seen that happen. More likely your graphics card or cpu are becoming overheated.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 4:42 PM
I have played Sims 2 for over 8 hours at a time and have never had a slow down.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 5:37 PM
Well, it's true I don't have the best CPU/graphics card in the world—it's kind of an old computer—but they're not THAT old. XD; I turned down the graphics and that helped, I can play the game for hours on end without problem... it's just the game itself has memory leaks that slowly build up over time, and I was just wondering if there was a mod out there somewhere that actually clears stuff from memory like it's supposed to. :P
Theorist
#5 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 5:49 PM
What kind of graphics card do you have? Are you on a laptop or a desktop? I've never heard of the game having memory leaks -- do you have a link to where you found out about them? Because I'd be interested.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Sep 2014 at 6:10 PM Last edited by petfriendamy : 14th Sep 2014 at 6:54 PM.
It's a Mac desktop running Windows XP under Boot Camp. It's got a 2GHz Core Duo processor and 2GB of RAM. The graphics card is a Radeon X1600. Not the BEST setup obviously (my computer is eight years old), but not terrible. :P

Someone talked about the memory leaks in detail here: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/...19145759AAWgNOx
Quote:
There are a few known memory leaks in The Sims 2. A memory leak can happen a few different ways. One of the most common ways, (and one of the ways it happens in The Sims 2), is when the game attempts to allocate memory before performing an action like playing an animation, Changing the time of day, or displaying a pop-up message.

Sometimes these events are triggered, but the game fails to stop allocating memory for the event - thus creating a memory leak. Or several events are being triggered at the same time; 1 sim needs to use the bathroom, another is throwing a tantrum, a thief is in the lot, a fire is breaking out, it's almost time for a sim to go to work, and the time of day is changing - all at once. Sometimes when there are a bunch of events happening at once the game will only handle so many at a time, and there will be a few that slip through without being "turned off" when they are done. This can create a memory leak as well.

Another issue with memory leaks in The Sims 2 is the fact that there are many little bits of information that create the illusion of the Sim's memory of the events that happen to them. The longer the game is running - the more information is stored in the cache to handle their "memory". Sometimes a simple restart will clear the cache and return the game to normal.

...and that's definitely triggered hardcore when all my sims start freaking out about a fire. Mostly I just want to know if there's a fix for memory leaks for people who have older computers like me.
Instructor
#7 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 12:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by petfriendamy
It's a Mac desktop running Windows XP under Boot Camp. It's got a 2GHz Core Duo processor and 2GB of RAM. The graphics card is a Radeon X1600. Not the BEST setup obviously (my computer is eight years old), but not terrible. :P

Someone talked about the memory leaks in detail here: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/...19145759AAWgNOx

...and that's definitely triggered hardcore when all my sims start freaking out about a fire. Mostly I just want to know if there's a fix for memory leaks for people who have older computers like me.

That would require a game patch, not a mod. And yeah, your computer is completely fine for running the Mac Sims 2, right in the middle of the video cards and well over the processor, memory and video memory requirements for Bon Voyage. I think more memory would help, though, if you can get it. I seem to recall having that very desktop, myself, a number of years ago. It was top of the line at the time, and is still a perfectly adequate computer.

You have checked to be sure all the patches are installed on your game? Are you running the new Super Collection?

Other than that, I would suggest saving more frequently and not playing more than one or two lots in a session.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 4:19 AM
It's the Ultimate Collection, yeah, which as far as I know is fully patched.