Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Sep 2012 at 1:19 AM
Default Order of EP's
Hi my Sims 2 is acting up, and I'm frustrated! so, I thought maybe to take a step back and go Old School- if Sims 1 works with windows 7?

I've forgotten the order of the ep's, so I need some help with that.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th Sep 2012 at 1:26 AM
Yeah, me too. I've taped little numbers to the cases of the CD's, but they're downstairs now, so I'll just share this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims - Scroll down until you get to the expansions.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Sep 2012 at 2:01 AM Last edited by The SimWhisperer : 10th Sep 2012 at 3:27 AM.
I was playing the tutorial, and I thought to heck with It'll all come back! So, I attempting to install every ep, and see what mess I can make!

Well, I've tried to install the games, and when I got up to Vacation, a message came up saying the Sims was not installed?

Apparently the Sims and I are having a 'how many ways can we torment SimWhisperer' contest!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 10th Sep 2012 at 4:11 AM
There's some funny things that happen when installing older Sims games on newer computer systems such as Vista and new systems. It sounds like it cannot find the location of where the last game was installed. I've been able to find help by putting in a google search that includes the name of the expansion pack + the operating system in the search field. Example "Can't install Vacation + Windows 7". I'm sorry I can't offer more direct advice. I never seem to remember what solutions worked for me when I've finished installing and I'm not technical enough to help you. It might be that you need to put in the disk and then left click on the drive in your computer and choose "run as administrator" or "compatibility mode".

Let me know if you find a solution and keep checking back in case someone who knows something answers.

Lab Assistant
#5 Old 10th Sep 2012 at 6:41 AM
On my New Windows 7 computer I had no problem installed the 4 disc "Complete Collection". However on my previous computer, with windows vista , I did not have the complete collection edition yet. I had the base game and all EP's, and it did Exactly the same thing to me, it would not install Vacation, and was actually trying to uninstall it, or telling me it was going to uninstall it.

Luckily the old official sims 1 site was still up at the time, and I also googled some other site. But that's what worked for me was compatibility mode. As long as you have an Icon on the desktop , or can get an icon onto the desktop from the sims computer files already installed. Just right click on the icon, go to "properties" at the very bottom, then "compatibility", "run program in compatibilty mode for" , (for vista I chose XP srvc pack 2. For windows 7 I'm honestly not sure which OS to choose, but you can try XP.) After I did that, it then let me install vacation, all the following EP's, and play.

Also make sure you choose "Privilige level" run this program as administrator at the bottom, apply and o.k. You only have to do it once and it won't affect any other game, program, or the computer at all. Good Luck. It seems some people can install on windows 7, and others cannot, and I don't know why. BUT a suggestion , if you can , get "The complete collection", I got mine used on amazon. The base game and all EP's on 4 discs may be easier to install (plus you get the sims creator). But I still can't say for sure if it will install on your computer.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Sep 2012 at 7:38 AM
Thank you for this information, but I have given up! I've been able to get passed vacation, and then I get installation problems with pets, plus the same message, that I don't have the base game installed...There was also other strange things going on, that I felt all this frustration wasn't worth it.

My major aggrevation is my sims 2, I know wrong forum. But, if you're familar with game problems, check my post in the help section under "Bizarre Problem".
Mad Poster
#7 Old 10th Sep 2012 at 10:54 AM Last edited by VerDeTerre : 10th Sep 2012 at 11:07 AM.
I'm so sorry, TheSimWhisperer! Did you try the compatibility mode or run as administrator?

Quote: Originally posted by Zorba2357
As long as you have an Icon on the desktop , or can get an icon onto the desktop from the sims computer files already installed. Just right click on the icon, go to "properties" at the very bottom, then "compatibility", "run program in compatibilty mode for" , (for vista I chose XP srvc pack 2. For windows 7 I'm honestly not sure which OS to choose, but you can try XP.)
Isn't it also possible to do this with the icon that appears in the disk drive under "my computer"?

Lab Assistant
#8 Old 13th Sep 2012 at 8:39 PM
@VerDeTerre, you are probably right. I just wrote the way I do it. I think as long as it's a valid icon , or shortcut that starts the game, there probably are various places to find one, and yes I think under my computer is one.

@TheSimWhisperer, I used to be very familiar with sims 2. I'd check out your thread, but I'm not very familiar with these forums beyond this one here. I'm looking around but haven't found it, and I don't know if it's allowed for you to post a link to it?

Edit: Alright, I found it through your profile. Will read it now. I will post some thoughts on that thread .