Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd May 2018 at 4:12 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Neighborhood crashing suddenly when loading lots or CAS
Ok folks, I'm at a loss here..

I was playing my Sims 2 this weekend absolutely fine. When I went to play today, my game crashes whenever I open CAS or a lot in my University sub hood. Here are the steps I have taken:
1. Remove downloads and test - check (It did not fix the issue)
2. Try opening CAS in regular hood - check (Still crashed)
3. Remove old character data - check (I have completely changed the hood twice with new groups of sims. Still crashed)
4. Hood Checker - check (The neighborhood check was aborted! An error occurred during the examination of your neighborhood. The current version of the Hood Checker is unable to continue. Please report this error in the download thread and attach a copy of your neighborhood to the posting. So, this didn't fix it)

I am running out of options here. I am not sure if my hood is salvageable or if I corrupted it. I would love to save my current uni sims and lots if possible. Would love any suggestions or advice to save my hood

My games are:
-Base Game
-University Life
-Night Life
-Open for Business
-Ikea Stuff

TY in advance!!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd May 2018 at 4:19 AM
What do you mean by "remove old character data"?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd May 2018 at 1:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
What do you mean by "remove old character data"?

Sorry, I can explain that further.

I had 2 very different neighborhoods set up there before with different sims. When I was ready to try something new, I would delete all those sims from the neighborhood along with the lots.

My third attempt has been the best so far and I've stuck with it. When I went into Sims PE, I saw most of my previous sims still have character files in the neighborhood folder. I went through and deleted the character files that I knew were previous sims I have played and deleted.

I'll feel like an idiot if this screwed it up more
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd May 2018 at 1:33 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 23rd May 2018 at 1:47 PM.
Deleting all sims is one of the things you shouldn't do unless you do it in one of very few correct ways (which I suspect you didn't). If you deleted the characters from the "characters" folder in the neighborhood folder, you've probably borked up your neighborhood beyond repair. That may be why the Hoodchecker can't scan the neighborhood. Deleting the files and then adding new sims would only make the problem worse.

The only 100% safe way to delete all characters is to delete the neighborhood and start a new one. Otherwise you leave behind corrupted data. There are a couple other methods to delete characters (more or less) safely involving SimPE, but they're a lot more involved and more for when you want to delete a few characters, not all of them.

ALWAYS take a backup before you do something to your neighborhood that potentially can cause corruption, like deleting characters.

Best way to fix it? Delete the corrupted neighborhood(s?) and start a new one.

You can try to save sims with SimPE and clone them with Bodyshop (don't start your game with files extracted with SimPE in it - the only safe way is to clone them in Bodyshop and remove the SimPE files before starting the game), and there are a few ways to save lots (I haven't tried, but there are a couple of tutorials on how to do it correctly), but with the missing character data and crashing neighborhood it's not certain you'll be able to salvage much.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd May 2018 at 1:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Deleting all sims is one of the things you shouldn't do unless you do it in one of very few correct ways (which I suspect you didn't). If you deleted the characters from the "characters" folder in the neighborhood folder, you've probably borked up your neighborhood beyond repair. That may be why the Hoodchecker can't scan the neighborhood. Deleting the files and then adding new sims would only make the problem worse.

The only 100% safe way to delete all characters is to delete the neighborhood and start a new one. Otherwise you leave behind corrupted data. There are a couple other methods to delete characters (more or less) safely involving SimPE, but they're a lot more involved and more for when you want to delete a few characters, not all of them.

ALWAYS take a backup before you do something to your neighborhood that potentially can cause corruption, like deleting characters.

Best way to fix it? Delete the corrupted neighborhood(s?) and start a new one.

You can try to save sims with SimPE and clone them with Bodyshop (don't start your game with files extracted with SimPE in it - the only safe way is to clone them in Bodyshop and remove the SimPE files before starting the game), and there are a few ways to save lots (I haven't tried, but there are a couple of tutorials on how to do it correctly), but with the missing character data and crashing neighborhood it's not certain you'll be able to salvage much.

Ah, well looks like I was the idiot this time. I may be able to salvage those files since I never emptied my recycling bin. I can restore them back to that folder possibly.

A last possible thought before I start all over...my computer needed to shut down and update last night. It is currently updating now. I have Windows 10 btw..

I still find this all weird since I was literally playing the day before. Hmm..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd May 2018 at 2:11 PM
Never ever delete sims, you corrupt your hood a bit more with each one you delete. Corruption is like Russian Roulette, everything can seem fine, (it's actually not you simply don't see it) then boom. This is the end result. You will need to start from scratch you can't restore them. if you have a backup of your hood before you deleted any sims you could restore that.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd May 2018 at 2:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Never ever delete sims, you corrupt your hood a bit more with each one you delete. Corruption is like Russian Roulette, everything can seem fine, (it's actually not you simply don't see it) then boom. This is the end result. You will need to start from scratch you can't restore them. if you have a backup of your hood before you deleted any sims you could restore that.

Thanks Joandsarah! I should have known better too with how long I've been playing. 😑 Let's cross our fingers for salvageable. This update is taking forever...about an hour so far. I should be able to try after that. I will let you know the final result.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd May 2018 at 2:51 PM
UPDATE: Literally jumping up and down right now in joy.
1. I restored all character files.
2. Computer has updated fully.
3. We are working and I can open lots and CAS!

Thank you everyone :lovestruc
If I have any future issues I will be sure to post back.
I wonder if me not having the Windows 10 April update caused it. Everything went boom before I deleted anything. Though restoring the files helped from any further issues.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 23rd May 2018 at 3:07 PM
If you've opened the neighborhood with the character files missing, don't jump with joy just yet. The misssing sims may have caused corruption from not being in the neighborhood.

If you have sims or anything else you want to keep from the neighborhood, take a backup now. It's likely you may run into problems further down the line, and it's better to have a backup from when the problems started, than one with months of hidden corruption going on. If you want to avoid corruption entirely, I'd also advice you to start over.

You should read this article on avoiding corruption - I'm not sure if it is complete, but it gives you an idea of what not to do: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Game_gui...ding_corruption
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 23rd May 2018 at 7:29 PM

may i ask why you can't start the game with SimPE extracted files? what exactly is the problem in that, aside from creating sims with leftover character data if you go in CAS (but that's different than starting up the whole game)
Test Subject
#11 Old 27th May 2018 at 1:01 AM
Does this mean we shouldn't delete from the neighborhood in play process? Some of the sims I just plain don't like, and I delete them. I have never deleted from the data areas though.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 27th May 2018 at 2:12 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 27th May 2018 at 2:26 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by fluffyfeather
may i ask why you can't start the game with SimPE extracted files? what exactly is the problem in that, aside from creating sims with leftover character data if you go in CAS (but that's different than starting up the whole game)

The sims extracted in SimPE have extra data, like memories, relationships, etc. which could potentially corrupt neighborhoods, since they're technically a sim put into the game. Those extra bits and pieces can turn out to be bad for the game.

To enter CAS, you have to visit a neighborhood, and by the time you click on CAS the damage might be done, since certain files are saved when entering the neighborhood view. It's also not certain all the extra info gets deleted when using the extracted sim in CAS.

Bodyshop clones are safe because they only have the face template and information about which CAS items to wear, and no ingame info about the original sim.

You should also not package the extracted sims as sims2pack files without cloning first, because not cloning will package the extracted sim instead of a clone (meaning no CAS items will be included, if I remember correctly). Uploading a sim like this can potentially cause problems in other people's games as well as yours.

Quote: Originally posted by Dnsouthldy
Does this mean we shouldn't delete from the neighborhood in play process? Some of the sims I just plain don't like, and I delete them. I have never deleted from the data areas though.

It depends on how you delete the sims. There are a lot of ways to do it the wrong way, and only a few ways to do it right. Improperly deleted sims can cause problems in the neighborhood. If you can't be bothered with the sim, it's actually safer to kill them off.

If you don't want to kill them off, there are plenty of ways to change or get rid of sims. You can do sim-surgery in SimPE (or change their face, hair and other details ingame if you don't need it to be genetic), or stick them on a lot with a bit of trickery so they can't leave the lot. If you're not sure you'll be happy with a baby you can save before a sim starts giving birth (gender and how they look like is decided at birth). For adopted kids, save just before the kid arrives. You can also make sims into NPCs/neighbors.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 27th May 2018 at 3:50 AM
If you're not sure you'll be happy with a baby you can save before a sim starts giving birth (gender and how they look like is decided at birth). For adopted kids, save just before the kid arrives. You can also make sims into NPCs/neighbors.

Actually, I think you can save while the sim is giving birth but before the cinematic. That's usually what I do to avoid firstborn syndrome, I save when the sim starts screaming and have another sim use the lot debugger option to reroll the sim generator, and then reload the lot. I used to get firstborn syndrome all the time because I would typically load the game and play for one day on each house, and then close the game and check email and stuff, so almost every baby was the first baby born during my play session (since I didn't typically have sims giving birth in multiple houses on the same day). But I've never gotten firstborn syndrome since I started using the lot debugger in this way.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 27th May 2018 at 5:08 AM
Easier to load CAS after the hood loads, then click the randomize sim button 1--3 times then load your house. It not only prevents first born syndrome but you will find the lot should load faster as will any form of change appearance/setting of clothes.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 27th May 2018 at 9:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dnsouthldy

Not unless you want to corrupt your hood. Any sim you don't want
1) Kill or
2) move onto a tiny plot on the edge of your hood and toss in a simlogical prison token to stop them showing up or
3)Ban them on the visitor controller

Do not delete them because they are not truly deleted. They may appear to be deleted but what you have left behind are dangling SWAFs (Wants and Fears resources ) Dangling and borked Relationship resources and unattached SimDNA and maybe other junk. These bits and pieces can attach themselves to sims you want to keep and corrupt them so badly that they are unplayable or your hood stops loading or vanishes.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#16 Old 27th May 2018 at 11:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Actually, I think you can save while the sim is giving birth but before the cinematic.

You can do so, but I prefer to save before the sim goes into labor. I had a sim get stuck in an eternal labor/birth cycle with twins once (can't remember when I saved, but possibly while giving birth), and I prefer not to have that happen again.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#17 Old 27th May 2018 at 12:14 PM
It's only the SWAFs that cause the corruption issue though - because you can't identify them once a sim is deleted. Relationship and SimDNA can be fixed because you can identify both after the sim has gone which means you can remove it or edit it.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Alchemist
#18 Old 28th May 2018 at 8:52 PM
for Create-A-Sim, the crashing might relate to neighborhood's "Sim Creation Index". hex view, c & d columns; "Short" may need to be greater than 0x0000.
same for when the game is about to generate/add a new character.