Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 2:56 PM
Roof recoloring in TS3: how do I?
Hi! I did a few researches on internet before coming here, but as those were unsuccessful, I thought I'd better ask my question on MTS. (oh and I'm also not sure that I'm posting in the right place of the forum; feel free to move the thread if necessary)

So, I'd like to recolor roofs on The Sims 3 using TSR Workshop software, but I don't understand anything with it, I don't really know how to begin with. I wanted to use a EAxis roof and add a thick, wide and plain white trim to it, as it seems it hasn't been made before (anyway, it cannot be found online for TS3 whereas it exists for TS2). Attention, I'm not only talking of white trim, which already exists as custom content for TS3, but of a wide and plain trim as shown on the following Paint-modified screenshot.

So, anyone could help me with that please?

Thanks in advance!

poisson

Here a picture (the modified part was made with Paint):

Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 5:36 PM
This probably belongs in create/meshing, those are the people that do recolors I think
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 5:47 PM
Thanks Volvenom! Hope that an admin will move the entire thread.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Feb 2015 at 12:08 AM
Nobody has an idea on how I can do my roof recolor? Is there any tutorial somewhere, maybe? Thanks anyway.
Inventor
#5 Old 12th Feb 2015 at 11:10 AM
Is that "black line" I see in the trim the result of simple colouring or there's an actual groove (I hope I'm using the right term) there?
What I mean is: it's only a texture related thing or also a meshing (change the shape of the roof) thing?

You can simply override the texture to make a default replacement or clone the roof (uhm... it's been a while since I did it myself,
maybe you only clone the texture/pattern) to make a custom one.

I can try to help you if you want, but using S3PE. Tell me the name of that roof and where it comes from (seems basegame to me).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Feb 2015 at 6:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Arsil
Is that "black line" I see in the trim the result of simple colouring or there's an actual groove (I hope I'm using the right term) there?
What I mean is: it's only a texture related thing or also a meshing (change the shape of the roof) thing?

I truly think that the black line is a groove, as you say. It's the texture itself, that is actually not plain.

Quote: Originally posted by Arsil
I can try to help you if you want, but using S3PE. Tell me the name of that roof and where it comes from (seems basegame to me).

The name of the roof is Asphalte Shingles, and yes it's from the Base Game I think.

Very nice of you to help me. Shall I download S3PE? Ok.
Inventor
#7 Old 12th Feb 2015 at 9:46 PM
Took me more than expected but I found that little rascal.
Do you want to replace the existing roof or create a custom pattern?

DEFAULT REPLACEMENT
Start S3PE, put as name filter "roof_asph", enable the filter, open
<TS3_Installation_Directory>/GameData/Shared/Packages/DeltaBuild2.package
Select 2 of the 3 resources (you'll understand which one you can ignore) and export
them into a new package, save the package directly in your Mods/Packages folder
(or, better yet, in a subdirectory called "TEST")

OR

CUSTOM PATTERN
Start S3OC, from the menu select Cloning->Roof Patterns, choose the roof pattern and
click on "Clone or Fix", tick the option "Deep Clone", click "Start" and save the new package
into your Mods/Packages folder (or, better yet, in a subdirectory called "TEST")

INSTRUCTIONS VALID FOR BOTH METHODS
  • Open the new package with S3PE and extract the 2 _IMG resources (those that actually
    look like roof patterns) as files. One should be the multiplier and the other the specular.
  • You'll get .dds images that you can edit with your favourite graphics software (when you
    save them, remember to use the same format/options, the compression used is DXT1)
  • Import the files into your package (they will replace the existing resources), save the
    package and start the game to test your changes.

Note: Seems to me like the trim is the one on the bottom-right of the image.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 2:56 AM Last edited by poisson : 13th Feb 2015 at 7:29 AM.
Thank you so much Arsil! You're totally awesome!

It quite worked actually, but there's still something disappointing: I recolored the trim in white on the two different files you told me, but it doesn't appear white, in-game.

Here four screenshots to show you what and how I recolored, the original roof and the custom one, in-game:

What can I do?

EDIT:

I've figured out, actually, Arsil.

But the result is only fine when we are very close to the roof. Otherwise there are regular thin lines a bit everywhere around the white trim, but I personally think it's inherent to the game in fact.

So, it's ok, I've managed to do it. Thank you again Arsil.