Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Oct 2017 at 11:26 AM
What is the scary black distorted face glitch? + other random bugs
Hi, I've heard about the upside down face glitch (and I've never experienced it), but there seems to be a far less common bug that occurred in some people's games and I was wondering if it might have been caused by corruption as well. I wish it was possible to get a screenshot of it but it seems to be pretty rare. According to TVTropes Sims' Nightmare Fuel page and some threads online, it was a scary black distorted face with scraggly hair with a black thumbnail.

There was also a glitch I used to experience - neverending pests such as cockroaches, flies and mice, on just one lot. Maybe it was because it had "dirty" terrain (the tool you can use makes the terrain brown). I could never stop with the pests even using moveobjects_on and adopting a cat (for the mice problems). I also kept things pretty neat and the sim wasn't a slob. And if I'm remembering things right, the same sim also got infected with the Guinea pig disease.

Also, with the base game, several NPCs disappeared forever on my game. I think that was because of moveobjects_on though. One of them was the social worker.

I had also heard of a bunch of glitches 8 years ago - the spontaneous combustion one and the twin bug (doubleclick the icon when a baby is turning into a child and they will have a twin). Do these really happen at all?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st Oct 2017 at 6:22 PM
When I had lots with pest problems, it was usually because there was a mess I couldn't find somewhere on the lot, either because my view was blocked or because it was a small mess like a mouse head in an obscure part of the lot.

The most annoying thing for me was that they completely screwed up the cat hunting, so that getting a cat actually increased the mess on a lot. The sequence was: dirty dishes or trash draw flies; flies after a time produce cockroaches; with a cat on the lot, roaches turn into mice; cat catches mice and eats all but one mouse head, which is tiny and hard to find and draws flies, which draw roaches, which turn into mice and so on. They would have done better to have mice be a hazard in all messy houses, which could be addressed either by setting traps or by getting a cat. Cats would eat up the entire mouse most of the time and occasionally bring a trophy to lay at its favorite person's feet, where it could be cleaned up - that's how it works in real life.

As for Guinea Pig Disease, the fix for that is simple - hang the Guinea Pig Poster in the same room as the guinea pig, and your sims will be protected from the disease.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 11:05 AM
That's true, the cat hunting is messed up and it really seemed to made things worse. I only had cats a few times though so I don't remember that much but I hated mice much more than roaches and they appeared all the time, not to mention the head you're talking about.

Even with all the faults the pets in The Sims 1 were the best - maybe The Sims 3 on second place IMO. The pets in Sims 2 were quite boring and you couldn't do much with them. In TS1 you could even buy a iguana. But I think the most depressing thing was the pet cage thing that came with Apartment Life. You couldn't even take the dog out (unless I missed an option).

Thanks for the Guinea Pig thing - I forgot about it. I actually avoid certain NPCs or situations and when some things happen I kinda just forget there's a fix.