Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jun 2013 at 12:08 AM
Default Musical instruments.
Was kind of disappointing that it took several expansions before a piano was added to sims3 since it was in the basegame for the others.

I'd bet that instruments will have their own skill again, which is good but there really should be more than just a guitar in the base game.

Piano and guitar should be in at least, perhaps a drum as well or a saxophone to have something new.

Also, sims musical preference should affect what music they like to play. If they like classical music, they should prefer playing that. They could still play other things but not as often, and can always play anything you tell them to do.

And lastly, in the musical career sims should be able to choose which music skill they want to link to their career. It was rediculous that the guitar skill was needed for the symphonic branch.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 18th Jun 2013 at 1:23 AM
True, though you've missed out the most common complaint about TS3 instruments: Children can't use them. For no readily apparent reason.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#3 Old 18th Jun 2013 at 1:33 AM
Also, an electric bass would be a handy thing.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 18th Jun 2013 at 1:52 AM
The animations of the guitar when the skill was maxed out put me off ... you shouldn't sway like that ... seriously!
One Minute Ninja'd
#5 Old 18th Jun 2013 at 3:25 AM
I'm hoping for a French Horn. That, or a clarinet.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 18th Jun 2013 at 3:46 AM
I love to see a Harp, and those enormous hand drums.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 18th Jun 2013 at 4:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inhuman One
Was kind of disappointing that it took several expansions before a piano was added to sims3 since it was in the basegame for the others.

I found it more disappointing when we had to wait 5 EP before getting gardening in TS2.

TS4 will have it's own features that we are so used to in the previous versions but that will be delayed until EP x comes out.

I do hope it's not gardening, would hate to loose that if I decide to play the game.

About musical instruments, what ever instrument they bring, I hope kids can play them. That is my only complain about instruments in TS3.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Jun 2013 at 2:09 PM
Gardening was a shame too, but the topic is music here.

I agree about kids. They should be able to use them. Considering how very little kids can do I rarely even have them in my households because of that, so I tend to overlook such things. I would like for sims4 to make all age groups fun though.

More instruments is always good too, sims3 didnt even add any new instruments. Guitar, piano/keyboard, bass and drum. thats it. All of that was in sims2 as well.

Heck, they could even have multible instruments that draw on the same skill. Drums skill could also go with a bongo. Could also be both an average guitar and an electric guitar. Having both a keyboard and a piano was a nice touch though.

Personly I quite like those grand piano's since they not only allow for a skill, but also make for great decoration in a large mansion. Same would be for a harp by the way.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 18th Jun 2013 at 4:17 PM
I would like it if SIms could teach other Sims to play instruments, and the Sim being taught would gain the skills at a faster rate. If they have to rabbithole it, they could use the school building and it could be an after school activity for kids and teens and a night class for adults. Actually, I think that would be kind of cool for a number of skills.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 18th Jun 2013 at 4:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MinghamSmith
True, though you've missed out the most common complaint about TS3 instruments: Children can't use them. For no readily apparent reason.

Maybe they couldn't be bothered with the animations? :-p

Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong

- Oscar Wilde
Theorist
#11 Old 18th Jun 2013 at 9:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MinghamSmith

That's ironic, most children were forced by their parents to play an instrument and don't play as an adult.

Mine made me take violin and piano lessons. I can't believe they still don't have violins.

Resident wet blanket.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#12 Old 18th Jun 2013 at 10:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
That's ironic, most children were forced by their parents to play an instrument and don't play as an adult.

Mine made me take violin and piano lessons. I can't believe they still don't have violins.
They DO have violins now, but you gotta spend the 30 bucks to get Dragon Valley AND the new Ren Faire venue.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 19th Jun 2013 at 8:09 AM
I seriously hope they dont repeat that kind of crap with sims 4 where you have to buy a rediculously overpriced neighbourhood to get an object that would normally be overpriced already. But I bet this crap will only get worse with sims 4.
Instructor
#14 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 9:43 PM
I definitely think kids should be able to play instruments, and Sims should be able to play a duet on a piano, that would be so sweet. And parents who are highly skilled at piano could sit with their kids at the piano and teach them.

As for other instruments, how about some woodwinds? We've never had any of those, flutes, clarinets, oboes any of those.